You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-26 01:31:18

afontenot

VirtualBox hangs when booting Win10 guests

Previously:

[Solved] After VIrtualbox 6.1.12-4 (Linux) update VMs fail to start
[SOLVED] Virtualbox (6.1.12-4) when starting VM freezes and locks-up

I'm experiencing very similar symptoms, but this issue was supposedly fixed with a VirtualBox update. What I'm seeing:

• When boot a Windows 10 guest (either an installed system or an ISO), the guest hangs in about 2-3 seconds.

• With the installed system, it hangs on the blue Windows logo, with the ISO, I just get a black screen.

• The rest of the OS remains working (although I have seen some hangs on the drive the VMs are stored on), but the guest cannot be killed, even with

sudo kill -9

. The process becomes a zombie consuming 100% of one CPU core.

• When I attempt to reboot the computer, it hangs at the end of the shutdown process, requiring a physical poweroff and restart.

Things I have tried to do to fix the problem (based on suggestions in the other threads):

• Change the USB controller version from USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 or USB 1.0.

• Disable the network adapter entirely (some posts claim the issue is with using the bridged adapter, but I'm using NAT).

• Change the graphics controller, disable 3D acceleration, enable / disable PAE, enable / disable hardware acceleration.

• Switch from the prebuilt host modules to the DKMS modules.

Stuff that works:

• Windows XP ISO

• macOS VM

I haven't tried reverting back to old kernel versions and old versions of VirtualBox yet, because the ones reported working in these other threads are quite old at this point and I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

Versions:

• linux 5.9.10.arch1-1

• virtualbox 6.1.16-1

• virtualbox-host-modules-arch 6.1.16-10

#2 2020-11-26 02:24:09

kermit63

Re: VirtualBox hangs when booting Win10 guests

Which specific Windows ISO are you using?

About a month ago, I tried to install Windows 10 on a VM using the most recent (at the time) ISO from the Microsoft website. It hangs on boot. However, using an older ISO (Win10_1809Oct_v2_English_x64) worked. I was able to install and boot the installed Windows with no problem at all. I had to go thru the long update process though, which I was trying to avoid by downloading the latest installer.

Just to confirm, I inserted the older ISO to the virtual CD drive of my existing Windows 10 installation and it successfully booted into the live medium. Unfortunately, I already deleted the newer version so I can't double-check.

-----

Still, it doesn't explain why a previously installed system you had didn't work.

#3 2020-11-26 02:34:04

afontenot

kermit63 wrote:

Which specific Windows ISO are you using?

About a month ago, I tried to install Windows 10 on a VM using the most recent (at the time) ISO from the Microsoft website. It hangs on boot. However, using an older ISO (Win10_1809Oct_v2_English_x64) worked. I was able to install and boot the installed Windows with no problem at all. I had to go thru the long update process though, which I was trying to avoid by downloading the latest installer.

Just to confirm, I inserted the older ISO to the virtual CD drive of my existing Windows 10 installation and it successfully booted into the live medium. Unfortunately, I already deleted the newer version so I can't double-check.

This is with the retail 2019 LTSC, which is also based on v1809.

I also decided to try the old kernel and VirtualBox suggested in this comment. They worked fine, although I had to switch from xHCI to OHCI to get it to boot. (It didn't hang, just gave me an error about not being able to load the driver.) This is kind of weird because the versions are from July. I know for certain that I booted this VM back in July and I didn't have any issues with the driver.

But in any case, this pretty much confirms that I'm seeing the same issue as these previous users, it's just that a VirtualBox update fixed it for most of them and not for me. Although one user at the end of the thread in late October reports that they were still seeing this problem.

#4 2020-11-27 09:17:32

starfry

My install works, but I had to use USB 1.1.

I have VirtualBox6.1 (VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 6.1.16 r140961),  My /usr/bin/virtualbox is owned by virtualbox 6.1.16-1. I have extension pack 6.1.0r135406. I had to degtade my Windows 10VM to use  "USB1.1 (OHCI) Controller" in order to get it to boot. The VM is running Version 2004 installed on 10/10/2020 OS Build 19041.508. My kernel is 5.9.9-arch1-1, this is a new clean Arch install performed on 23rd November.

As I don't need USB in my windows VM, I can use it as it is. Just reporting a "not working" config in case the info is useful. And, of course, when there's a fix it would be good to hear about it. I presume the problem's with the extpack...

#5 2021-01-01 08:59:35

afontenot

Update: not working with the 5.10 kernel either. Hangs indefinitely on the Windows logo, killing the process and shutting down the computer both hang.

Kernel 5.10.3
Virtualbox (and host-modules) 6.1.16

#6 2021-01-19 16:35:41

starfry

The solution to this problem, for me, was highlighted by this article which explains that the problem is caused by a mismatched extension pack version.

Because the extpack is an AUR package it's easy for it to fall behind. Check the version you have, in Virtualbox go to File > Preferences > Extensions. It should match the version of Virtualbox ( Help > About ). If it doesn't match, rebuild and reinstall the extpack AUR package or otherwise install the correct extpack version.

Board footer