You are not logged in.

#51 2021-02-20 22:36:18

Xwang
Member
Registered: 2012-05-14
Posts: 278

Re: Frequent freezes on "Loading initial ramdisk ..."

Maniaxx wrote:

Did you try systemd-boot as well? I rather think ucodes are a red herring (unless you find other ppl with same problems). Did you check general stability with memtest yet?
Those laptops are a mess indeed with all the custom proprietary embedded controllers, Ring -2 security hypervisors and so on.

Maybe try to tweak grub to load ucodes/ramdisk/kernel "different" (if that's possible). I don't know... maybe something with alternative free space enumeration, different memory allocation, etc.. Not sure what's possible here.

Or look up the BIOS itself for any features to shut down. I've seen (for example) somewhere in your logs something about EC security driver. All this business DRM security spyware crap no one wants could be a potential interfering low-level error candidate.

That the ucodes itself are buggy is rather unlikely i think. And yes, this all is already beyond rational bug hunting.

memtest din not find any error.
In the BIOS there is nothing strange or unusual activated.
On this laptop all was working correctly since some months ago and windows keep working well , so it seems more a kernel bug somehow related to the intel-ucode.
Tomorrow I'll install systemd-boot and I will see if it has any effect.


I'm still learning English so please excuse me if my English is not good enough and feel free to correct me via PM if you want.

Offline

#52 2021-02-20 23:59:22

Maniaxx
Member
From: .de
Registered: 2014-05-14
Posts: 381

Re: Frequent freezes on "Loading initial ramdisk ..."

Maybe wait until next kernel update. It should be released very soon.


sys2064

Offline

#53 2021-02-21 12:47:47

intersectRaven
Member
Registered: 2020-12-14
Posts: 2

Re: Frequent freezes on "Loading initial ramdisk ..."

I experience this randomly as well. I find that just pausing the bootup sequence at the selection screen by changing the selected option for a few seconds (greater than the default 5 seconds) makes my system boot successfully. I'd agree with the above though that it may have been caused by a kernel update since this occurred to me from 5.10.14 or so.

*forgot to mention that another workaround I found is booting the fallback linux option always works...

Last edited by intersectRaven (2021-02-21 12:48:48)

Offline

#54 2021-02-21 15:03:49

Xwang
Member
Registered: 2012-05-14
Posts: 278

Re: Frequent freezes on "Loading initial ramdisk ..."

intersectRaven wrote:

I experience this randomly as well. I find that just pausing the bootup sequence at the selection screen by changing the selected option for a few seconds (greater than the default 5 seconds) makes my system boot successfully. I'd agree with the above though that it may have been caused by a kernel update since this occurred to me from 5.10.14 or so.

*forgot to mention that another workaround I found is booting the fallback linux option always works...

The fallback always works simply because it doesn't load the ucode at all.
I too have noted that awaiting 5 seconds before selecting the option in GRUB somehow at least diminishes the chance of a freeze, but in my experience it does not guarantee that the boot process completes correctly without freezing.
What kind of boot manager are you using? GRUB?

Last edited by Xwang (2021-02-21 15:07:26)


I'm still learning English so please excuse me if my English is not good enough and feel free to correct me via PM if you want.

Offline

#55 2021-02-22 00:32:25

intersectRaven
Member
Registered: 2020-12-14
Posts: 2

Re: Frequent freezes on "Loading initial ramdisk ..."

Xwang wrote:
intersectRaven wrote:

I experience this randomly as well. I find that just pausing the bootup sequence at the selection screen by changing the selected option for a few seconds (greater than the default 5 seconds) makes my system boot successfully. I'd agree with the above though that it may have been caused by a kernel update since this occurred to me from 5.10.14 or so.

*forgot to mention that another workaround I found is booting the fallback linux option always works...

The fallback always works simply because it doesn't load the ucode at all.
I too have noted that awaiting 5 seconds before selecting the option in GRUB somehow at least diminishes the chance of a freeze, but in my experience it does not guarantee that the boot process completes correctly without freezing.
What kind of boot manager are you using? GRUB?

Yeah. I use grub-git with LUKS2 and BTRFS.

Offline

#56 2021-02-22 17:19:46

Xwang
Member
Registered: 2012-05-14
Posts: 278

Re: Frequent freezes on "Loading initial ramdisk ..."

Today I've installed and configured systemd-boot and after 10 successful reboots it has frozen in the same way.
I've also tried to create a merged img containing both intel-ucode and initramfs (as explained here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/microcode#LILO) but nothing has changed.
I wonder if creating an unified kernel image (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/sy … rnel_image) can change something, but I doubt.


I'm still learning English so please excuse me if my English is not good enough and feel free to correct me via PM if you want.

Offline

#57 2021-02-22 21:21:24

Maniaxx
Member
From: .de
Registered: 2014-05-14
Posts: 381

Re: Frequent freezes on "Loading initial ramdisk ..."

Maybe try some older ucodes for reference. You could also ask on the kernel mailing list.


sys2064

Offline

#58 2021-02-22 21:30:03

Xwang
Member
Registered: 2012-05-14
Posts: 278

Re: Frequent freezes on "Loading initial ramdisk ..."

Maniaxx wrote:

Maybe try some older ucodes for reference. You could also ask on the kernel mailing list.

I've already tried older ucodes up to the 20190918-1 with no luck.
I am going to wait for the newer 5.11 which is in testing and if the same issue is present I'll ask on the kernel mailing list.


I'm still learning English so please excuse me if my English is not good enough and feel free to correct me via PM if you want.

Offline

#59 2021-02-22 21:43:13

Roken
Member
From: UK
Registered: 2012-01-16
Posts: 1,117

Re: Frequent freezes on "Loading initial ramdisk ..."

Keep us updated. I have a similar problem stuck at "loading initial ramdisk" on my laptop, with no apparent cause. Mine is AMD, and I've disabled, and even removed ucode, but nothing helps. The bad news (if the problems are related) is that for me, it only started with 5.11. I'm currently stuck at 5.10.16, which works without an issue.

I'll keep watching this thread, and testing possibilities.


[img= Speedtest]https://www.speedtest.net/result/10678208597.png[/img]

Ryzen 1800x 8 core/16 thread - GTX 1070 8Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 6 HD (1 NvME PCI, 2SSD, 3Spinners) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

Online

#60 2021-02-24 08:57:46

Xwang
Member
Registered: 2012-05-14
Posts: 278

Re: Frequent freezes on "Loading initial ramdisk ..."

The issue is still present with 5.11.1
Should I open a bug in archlinux or directly upstream at kernel.org?


I'm still learning English so please excuse me if my English is not good enough and feel free to correct me via PM if you want.

Offline

#61 2021-02-24 12:55:58

Maniaxx
Member
From: .de
Registered: 2014-05-14
Posts: 381

Re: Frequent freezes on "Loading initial ramdisk ..."

I would ask upstream. Maybe test some other distributions or LiveCDs as well beforehand.


sys2064

Offline

#62 2021-02-24 16:59:36

Xwang
Member
Registered: 2012-05-14
Posts: 278

Re: Frequent freezes on "Loading initial ramdisk ..."

Maniaxx wrote:

Maybe test some other distributions or LiveCDs as well beforehand.

Should I look for other distros with about the same kernel version (5.10 or 5.11) which are not arch derived? Is it correct?


I'm still learning English so please excuse me if my English is not good enough and feel free to correct me via PM if you want.

Offline

#63 2021-02-24 17:42:36

Maniaxx
Member
From: .de
Registered: 2014-05-14
Posts: 381

Re: Frequent freezes on "Loading initial ramdisk ..."

Yes, maybe the most popular ones like Ubuntu or Debian. They should provides 5.x kernels as well i guess.


sys2064

Offline

#64 2021-02-24 22:20:52

Roken
Member
From: UK
Registered: 2012-01-16
Posts: 1,117

Re: Frequent freezes on "Loading initial ramdisk ..."

There's another thread appeared tonight with the same problem. It's starting to look like an upstream issue.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=263976


[img= Speedtest]https://www.speedtest.net/result/10678208597.png[/img]

Ryzen 1800x 8 core/16 thread - GTX 1070 8Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 6 HD (1 NvME PCI, 2SSD, 3Spinners) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

Online

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB