You are not logged in.

#176 2020-11-30 06:57:53

Serum

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

I use it as much as I possibly can. I boot to Windows every couple of days to utilize specific music production software and vst plugins for said software. Really, really hope the day soon comes that the most cutting edge creative software is more Linux-inclusive.

#177 2020-12-01 22:44:19

Archemore

I've used it as my main computer for about a year. I like that if I do mess something up, the stakes are high enough I have to learn to fix it. But the OS really has been overall pretty stable for me. There was one time when I learned the hard way not to upgrade mesa about an hour before an important virtual meeting... but luckily there was a patch out within a few minutes. Still, I'm not as trigger happy when it comes to upgrading as much, and since then I haven't had any big issues. I also check for bugs/security problems before major upgrades now and wait a bit on those, which also helps.

#178 2020-12-02 11:00:24

karabaja4
Website

I am. I'm a happy camper using LTS kernel, custom init scripts instead of systemd, using ALSA instead of PulseAudio, Openbox (no DE/login/session manager), and minimal daemons (no dbus and such).

I made these choices because:
1) I found them to be much more stable (e.g. latest release kernel may randomly break my hardware, LTS kernel pretty much works fine and I see no benefit to using latest kernel).
2) I don't need fancy features such as systemd or dbus on my desktop machine, less daemons means less problems.
3) I have more understanding of what is actually going on on my system.

Breakages are annoying (and expensive if there is work to be done), and using this setup has worked with almost no breakages in the last year.

I found the more fancy and "convenient" software I use, the more problems I have to deal with.

Last edited by karabaja4 (2020-12-02 11:02:03)

#179 2020-12-03 02:25:35

queuemm

I use it on one hard drive and another hard drive with Windows 10. Win10 for hardcore gaming, Arch for casual browsing and chatting.

Arch is easier to use than W10 since it's so lightweight and simple to edit tweaks with.

He/him, they/them | Better to be laughed at than wrong. | T420 and T460 running Arch!

#180 2020-12-07 00:04:00

radiomist

I have used Arch since 2008 and it has been my daily driver since then,  have tried other distros but I always return to Arch but I like the simplicity and availability of packages from arch.
I work as web developer and I use arch when working from work, in the office the company provides macbooks sad

#181 2021-01-07 02:40:48

AhmadRaniri

I started to use archlinux on February 2020 together with debian until right now. Great distro, community and people.

#182 2021-01-07 08:43:39

Uzuki007

I've been using arch for about 3 years now in my office laptop. I work as sysadmin and web dev, mostly work with java.

#183 2021-01-08 15:16:33

speedyx
Website

I update my comment...
11 years with Archlinux, since the beginning, it was my daily driver.
Now with GNOME on my beautiful 4K laptop, Thinkpad X1 Extreme.
Btrfs encrypted with LUKS.
I hope in the future to switch to one with AMD graphics and AMD processors.
But now I over the moon happy!

I love archlinux: the last STABLE kernel release + the last STABLE DE release + the last STABLE apps releases. The upstream developers decide what is STABLE.

#184 2021-01-08 19:39:13

ArchChem

I am using Linux for 15 years, but at the beginning I just runned Ubuntu. However, during the time, I had some issues with Ubuntu, so in late 2012 I found an interesting Youtube video with an installation guide of Arch Linux. Following the guide I was able to install Arch and I have been happy for the first moment. My computers all run Arch since that time, I never had to reinstall the system nor buy new hardware because everything works just fast and stable. If I run into any issues, it was most likely because of the used software  (e.g. KDE, Libre Office, etc.). Arch is really a dream for everyone who wants to have joy while working with the PC.

Last edited by ArchChem (2021-01-08 19:39:49)

#185 2021-02-25 03:44:10

negen

Arch is my main system. I have a laptop now. I started using arch around 2014/15 but about three years back my wife accidentally broke my desktop and my clevo that had arch on it stopped working for some reason wouldn't even power on. I bought a new laptop around that time and shortly after my kid smashed the screen on accident. So for the last three years I have been without a pc other than occasionally using my wife's windows laptop. I recently repaired the screen on my current laptop and am now back on arch. I am not sure why anyone would not want to use arch. Honestly I feel strange about how much I like it but I started using linux around 1998/1999 with mandrake bounced around alot over the years but have never had something just work the way arch linux does. I am still a complete and total noob though. I will continue to use arch until I get bored.

#186 2021-02-26 08:23:56

othersamo_

I am using arch as my daily driver, switched from windows and I am happy to use it (:

"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
- Steve Jobs

#187 2021-03-01 10:10:06

micronetic

I am using Arch since December 2019 and am happy that I made the switch from Windows and am mad I didn't do it earlier.

#188 2021-03-12 15:13:34

easylee
Website

I've been using Arch as my daily at the office as well. Mostly work with Firefox, Teams and Simplenote. Pretty much everything can be done within the browser these days. For me at least.

#189 2021-03-17 15:53:26

TemplarGR

I do. Arch can do anything i want, including gaming. I am a software engineer. Used to have a windows 10 partition, not anymore.

#190 2021-03-25 10:15:46

Ferdinand

Yep. Pretty much exclusively; I play a little with Gentoo for fun, and I'm stuck with windows at work, but otherwise it's Arch now.
I must say, I've used lots of different distros, and landed on Arch only a few months ago - and I just wish did earlier; Arch is such a thrill - I feel like I've been set free big_smile

#191 2021-04-04 21:06:22

Padsworth

I exclusively use Arch at this point. I'm just in college though so it's just a lot of homework, and considering all the work I put in to "optimizing my work-flow" it would be silly not to use it. And honestly I can say that it serves its function better than any other distro I've used. Haven't used windows in years (though I do believe there is still a windows partition on my laptop).

While new to arch I'm def a *nix elitist. WINE covers anything I need to do that uses windows, and if necessary I got an Virtual-machine as a backup. Never really need to use that either tho.

It's def easier for someone like me though cause I don't do any heavy gaming and I refuse to play any game that uses client-side anti-cheat so I really have no games I'd play that aren't compatible with proton (again not a heavy gamer so games that refuse dx to vulkan don't overlap with the kind of games I play). Any "programming" I do is just fun things, and all the computers in my household growing up were *nix stuff so I never needed to adjust.

Never need to use a computer for my job either though (outside of sending emails or taking quick notes).

Take Care of Your Shoes
Dots

#192 2021-04-13 23:39:30

zxcv

Been using Linux as daily driver since 2006. Few years Ubuntu, Gentoo, Funtoo. Building times went through the roof so went with Arch as I already had it running on RaspberryPi for some time and had no issues. Daily driver since then.

#193 2021-04-27 04:30:14

synicalx1

For me it's a three way split; my personal Thinkpad runs Arch and I use that for all of my non-gaming personal computing needs. On top of that device though I have my work desktop which is running Manjaro at the moment, and my gaming desktop which is running Win10. Technically I also have a work MacBook but that's just a portable way of SSH'ing back to my work desktop so I don't really count that...

I'm an SRE nowadays so having a native Linux machine is very very useful, and rolling releases are great but I can't really justify taking the time to setup and maintain Arch on a work computer so Manjaro felt like a good lower effort middle ground there. Gaming desktop is kind of obvious - it's perfectly doable on Linux but most of the games I play either straight up aren't playable on Linux (natively or through Proton/lutris/whatever) or are meant to work but have weird issues or break every time they're updated, in any case it's more hassle than it's worth to me personally so I just stick with Windows (for now...).

#194 2021-05-20 07:26:14

Zeash

Dual booting Win10 and Arch. Most optimal choice for now.

#195 2021-05-27 18:16:46

caiocon

I do.

I own a Dell laptop bought in 2011, and it's powered by Arch from the very first day. I am a psychoanalyst nowadays and in my job I don't use computers (except for taking notes and organizing my thoughts, which I do in vim). However, back in 2007 I was a computer science student (don't ask, it went terribly bad) and made the transition from Windows to Ubuntu in 2008, if I'm not wrong. Then, I jumped around a lot between distros and DEs etc, and by late 2009 I found the bravery to try Arch. I loved it.

Later, many changes made me look for something else (specially the systemd change) and I had my share of time using OpenBSD, Debian and Void. But I ALWAYS end up coming back to Arch. Last install was last week: I bought a SSD to my strong aging laptop and decided to reinstall everything. It was, as always, piece of cake, and in less then 30 minutes I had my system ready to use exactly the way I like it.

What's not to love?

#196 2021-05-27 19:01:15

Spinnekop

My office desktop is exclusively on arch. My laptop dual boots windows 10 because it was preinstalled and there are a few occasions I need to use a specific program that does not exist in linux and doesn't run on wine. I can't imagine using anything else as a daily driver after several happy years on arch.

Umuntu Ngumuntu Ngabantu
---------------------------------------
a person is a person through other people

#197 2021-08-16 02:44:11

ectospasm

I've been running Arch as my daily driver on this ThinkPad 25th Anniversary Edition (something tells me it's a T470 under the hood, or at least that's what they replaced the main board with when I had warranty replacement) since I got it in November 2017.  Not even dual boot with Windows, my goal with it was to never boot Windows on it.  I probably install too much stuff on it, and my Btrfs snapshots are getting out of hand (I don't think I'm using 384G of a 440G /home partition, I'm pretty sure it's mostly those snapper snapshots).

I do use a MacBook Pro with macOS (or whatever they're calling it nowadays) issued to me by my employer, but if I had my choice I'd be running Arch on it.  Still, it does run Alacritty, mutt, and everything else I would want in a UNIX-like OS.  I only ever have to touch Windows (VM or VDI in some shape or form of Windows desktop or server, whatever the customer issues to me) for remote access, but even then I'm using PuTTY/WinSCP, or something godawful issued to me by the customer (when they're scared shitless of open source software--these are very large financial institutions, and they are way behind the curve on their technologies they allow).  I'm a Production Support Engineer, and most of the systems I manage run an old version of Ubuntu, almost finished replacing those with RHEL7 (Thank God!).

#198 2021-08-22 18:54:01

Tharbad

I do. Also got a permission to use it at work.

#199 2021-08-22 20:42:31

Roken

Absolutely Arch is my daily driver. When working remotely, unfortunately, I have to use Windows, which I connect to via a VPN and RDP. This took some setting up, but works well now, to the point I wrote a guide for connecting with Linux. Pretty sure I'm still the only one that does. The downside is, you need a setup on a Windows machine to get the config files, so had to take a USB thumb drive into the office first (All Watchguard garbage).

It has advantages. Those connecting via Windows will crash the server if they restart their local machine whilst connected. I won't, and simply pick up where I left off.

For everything else, why do I need more than Arch?

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

#200 2021-09-09 03:14:13

compzoo

Yeah, Arch is my main driver and I really won't go to any other distro after trying Arch. Gentoo seems kinda tempting to try because install from source but...I can't install it, heh. I do dualboot WIndows for gaming and certain programs that can't be WINE'd. But besides that, I use Arch for everything else. From the simplicity and customizability of Linux and the robustness of pacman, I find it hard not to love Arch.

Arch is love, Arch is life...

Board footer