You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-27 18:03:35

Schlunze

lvm2: lv inactive after reboot

Hello,

after updating and reboot one lv is inactive.

[x@x~]lvscan
  inactive          '/dev/hdd8tb/storage' [<7,28 TiB] inherit

adding the lvm hook from this post does not work in my case

activate all lv in vg with kernel parameter also not work

rd.lvm.vg=hdd8tb

Your help is very much appreciated

#2 2021-02-27 18:33:32

frostschutz

Re: lvm2: lv inactive after reboot

With update to lvm2-2.03.x, the volume groups and logical volumes are now activated by udev rules voodoo magic ( /lib/udev/rules.d/69-dm-lvm-metad.rules, or initcpio variant /lib/initcpio/udev/69-dm-lvm-metad.rules ).

And in general this should work, but when it does not, it's difficult to debug...

I disabled these udev rules, since it wakes my hard drives from standby for no reason and I prefer to manually enable LVM over the auto-detection.

adding the lvm hook from this post does not work in my case

Old post which I can not edit. oh, I edited it. confused by other forums that disallow editing old posts, sorry

You didn't add the hook. lvm2-2.03 install/lvm2 hook removed the add_runscript directive, so hooks/lvm2 is no longer included in initcpio at all anymore.

my custom lvm2 hook currently looks like this

==> hooks/mylvm2 <==
#!/usr/bin/ash

run_hook() {
    lvm vgchange --sysinit -a y
}

==> install/mylvm2 <==
#!/bin/bash

build() {
    add_module "dm-mod"
    add_binary "lvm"
    add_file "/etc/lvm/lvm.conf"
    add_runscript
}

but, this is a long shot from what the default hook is trying to cover. I don't use dm-mirror, -raid, -snapshot, thin provisioning, etc. so all these are not included here. This is a "works for me" hook, not suitable for everyone...

And you still might wanna figure out, how come the default behavior does not work for you.

maybe the problem is elsewhere entirely, for example it could be an issue with filters in lvm.conf. This file also changed a lot when Arch moved from lvm 2.02 to 2.03, so maybe take a look if there is an lvm.conf.pacnew and what the differences might be to your old file.

Good luck

Edit:

Also, sorry for the complete confusion, but this style of hooks doesn't work for systemd initcpio anyway, if that is what you're using (since you're seem to be using systemd style kernel parameters)

Last edited by frostschutz (2021-02-27 18:38:02)

#3 2021-02-27 19:05:40

Schlunze

Re: lvm2: lv inactive after reboot

Thank you for your reply. Some additional information.
My config is pretty basic - no additional raid, encryption or else, also no lvm.conf.pacnew.
Downgrading to 2.02 --> the lv is active

[2021-02-27T20:39:21+0100] [ALPM] downgraded lvm2 (2.03.11-4 -> 2.02.187-3)

I have no idea where to start to debug because im not sure what exactly lead to this behaviour of lvm. I use systemd and not udev like you mentioned.
Can you tell me where to place / how to use this hook?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Schlunze (2021-02-27 19:51:10)

Board footer