You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-03 18:00:44

tyler19820201
Member
From: Budapest
Registered: 2020-11-01
Posts: 6

CPU/GPU combination

My laptop is quite old and I intend to buy a new one. However i try to choose the hardware which provides the best compatibility and stability related to arch linux. My main priority is to choose hardware combination which gives the "smoothest", conflictless, "Keep It Simple, Stupid" operating regarding drivers and hardware-compatibility on arch.( I have got some hard time to optimize arch with my hybrid laptop which has got Intel CPU with integrated graphics support but also having Nvidia 6.xx series as dedicated one. I was succesfully installed the nvidia driver (390.xx) and now i can enjoy arch with full nvidia support.

However i want to avoid this kind of hassle in the future with coosing the best hardware combination.

Therefore my question is what kind of CPU/GPU combination shall i choose to achieve the best result for arch?? (I only use pure vanilla version no Manjaro etc.)

I intend to buy custom build so i can choose almost any CPU or GPU...

Option1 AMD Ryzen 7 with NO dedicated GPU

Option2 AMD Ryzen7 with Nvidia RTX 2060 (some people suggest AVOID this option...)

Option3 Intel CoreTM i7-1165G7 with NO dedicated GPU

Option4 Intel CoreTM i7-1065G7 with NO dedicated GPU

Option5 IntelCore i7 10870H with Nvidia RTX 3060

Option6 IntelCore i7 10750H with Nvidia RTX 2060

My aim is to get a longtime supported config here. My current laptop is almost 9 yrs old and still has got decent performance.

My question is which would be the best choice running arch from the options mentioned above? Obviously configurations with no dedicated GPU are cheaper however price is not the main priority. I do use very rare my laptop for gaming and also for video editing but mainly for multitasking (virt-manager, docker, VS code editor web browser etc.)


Man invented languages to satisfy his deep needs to complain

Offline

#2 2021-03-04 03:58:42

fukawi2
Administrator
From: .vic.au
Registered: 2007-09-28
Posts: 6,113
Website

Re: CPU/GPU combination

Splitting this post from the "Laptops which run Arch" thread - that is for listing known-good laptops; support questions should be their own thread.

Offline

#3 2021-03-04 07:26:39

kikislater
Member
From: Mauritius
Registered: 2016-01-16
Posts: 32

Re: CPU/GPU combination

tyler19820201 wrote:

My laptop is quite old and I intend to buy a new one. However i try to choose the hardware which provides the best compatibility and stability related to arch linux. My main priority is to choose hardware combination which gives the "smoothest", conflictless, "Keep It Simple, Stupid" operating regarding drivers and hardware-compatibility on arch.( I have got some hard time to optimize arch with my hybrid laptop which has got Intel CPU with integrated graphics support but also having Nvidia 6.xx series as dedicated one. I was succesfully installed the nvidia driver (390.xx) and now i can enjoy arch with full nvidia support.

However i want to avoid this kind of hassle in the future with coosing the best hardware combination.

Therefore my question is what kind of CPU/GPU combination shall i choose to achieve the best result for arch?? (I only use pure vanilla version no Manjaro etc.)

I intend to buy custom build so i can choose almost any CPU or GPU...

Option1 AMD Ryzen 7 with NO dedicated GPU

Option2 AMD Ryzen7 with Nvidia RTX 2060 (some people suggest AVOID this option...)

Option3 Intel CoreTM i7-1165G7 with NO dedicated GPU

Option4 Intel CoreTM i7-1065G7 with NO dedicated GPU

Option5 IntelCore i7 10870H with Nvidia RTX 3060

Option6 IntelCore i7 10750H with Nvidia RTX 2060

My aim is to get a longtime supported config here. My current laptop is almost 9 yrs old and still has got decent performance.

My question is which would be the best choice running arch from the options mentioned above? Obviously configurations with no dedicated GPU are cheaper however price is not the main priority. I do use very rare my laptop for gaming and also for video editing but mainly for multitasking (virt-manager, docker, VS code editor web browser etc.)

Option 1 IMO :
- You don't need dedicated GPU in what you listed. Configuration with dGPU is a bit more complicated as they are hybrid gpu and more power consumption. Nvidia has unfortunately bad linux support. Without dGPU you are going to be lightweight
- Ryzen 7 have better performances. Consider at least Ryzen 7 4xxx
- igpu intel is ridiculous in comparison to amd one
- Intel has several issue (security and bugs) now (some are unrecoverable even with patch due to how they build platform) and it's not advisable to buy it at this time
- Gaming : depending on which game, it could require dGPU but some games run on AMD iGPU
- Video editing : I make sometimes as well for professional editing in Shotcut with a Thinkpad T480s and iGPU intel. Using video proxy you could edit nowaday with lightweight configuration up to 8k and more ...
- Please note that VS code editor have trackers, consider using vscodium ...

Last edited by kikislater (2021-03-04 07:27:57)

Offline

#4 2021-03-04 07:27:12

tyler19820201
Member
From: Budapest
Registered: 2020-11-01
Posts: 6

Re: CPU/GPU combination

fukawi2 wrote:

Splitting this post from the "Laptops which run Arch" thread - that is for listing known-good laptops; support questions should be their own thread.

Ok. Thanks


Man invented languages to satisfy his deep needs to complain

Offline

#5 2021-03-04 07:31:31

tyler19820201
Member
From: Budapest
Registered: 2020-11-01
Posts: 6

Re: CPU/GPU combination

kikislater wrote:

Option 1 IMO :
- You don't need dedicated GPU in what you listed. Configuration with dGPU is a bit more complicated as they are hybrid gpu and more power consumption. Nvidia has unfortunately bad linux support. Without dGPU you are going to be lightweight
- Ryzen 7 have better performances. Consider at least Ryzen 7 4xxx
- igpu intel is ridiculous in comparison to amd one
- Intel has several issue (security and bugs) now (some are unrecoverable even with patch due to how they build platform) and it's not advisable to buy it at this time
- Gaming : depending on which game, it could require dGPU but some games run on AMD iGPU
- Video editing : I make sometimes as well for professional editing in Shotcut with a Thinkpad T480s and iGPU intel. Using video proxy you could edit nowaday with lightweight configuration up to 8k and more ...
- Please note that VS code editor have trackers, consider using vscodium ...


Exactly such kind of answers i been waiting for.
Thank you

Some people was suggesting to me wait for dedicated AMD laptop graphics card....I do not think that gonna be in the near future...What do you think?

Last edited by tyler19820201 (2021-03-04 07:39:50)


Man invented languages to satisfy his deep needs to complain

Offline

#6 2021-03-04 07:47:49

kikislater
Member
From: Mauritius
Registered: 2016-01-16
Posts: 32

Re: CPU/GPU combination

Did you consider eGPU as well for the gaming part ?
You could buy a laptop with iGPU and when needed connect an external GPU. It's common for gamers but it requires thunderbolt technology which is not very common in Ryzen (only one expensive model at this time : Asus flow). You could run it with M2 port but it requires hardware modification and people don't like it

Edit : USB4 will change this behaviour but it still not implemented at this time ...

Last edited by kikislater (2021-03-04 07:53:59)

Offline

#7 2021-03-04 08:08:03

tyler19820201
Member
From: Budapest
Registered: 2020-11-01
Posts: 6

Re: CPU/GPU combination

kikislater wrote:

Did you consider eGPU as well for the gaming part ?
You could buy a laptop with iGPU and when needed connect an external GPU. It's common for gamers but it requires thunderbolt technology which is not very common in Ryzen (only one expensive model at this time : Asus flow). You could run it with M2 port but it requires hardware modification and people don't like it

Edit : USB4 will change this behaviour but it still not implemented at this time ...

Actually gaming is not my priority. I can live without it. If i really want game with the latest high-end game just pop on Google Stadia or something...So you can ignore that. This eGPU option i do not know at all but if it is not very common & complicated then i would not give an unneccesary hard time for me.
Regarding your answer i think the best option would be a strong AMD Ryzen without dedicated GPU...

Last edited by tyler19820201 (2021-03-04 08:12:21)


Man invented languages to satisfy his deep needs to complain

Offline

#8 2021-03-05 11:44:26

Lone_Wolf
Member
From: Netherlands, Europe
Registered: 2005-10-04
Posts: 9,022

Re: CPU/GPU combination

If you do go for amd ryzen , make sure it comes with 2 matching memory chips.

Intel processors get only minor benefit from dual channel memory over single channel , but Ryzen benefits a lot from using dual channel memory.


Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.
Did you use the guided installer ? If yes, I can't help you.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Offline

#9 2021-03-05 17:38:27

tyler19820201
Member
From: Budapest
Registered: 2020-11-01
Posts: 6

Re: CPU/GPU combination

Lone_Wolf wrote:

If you do go for amd ryzen , make sure it comes with 2 matching memory chips.

Intel processors get only minor benefit from dual channel memory over single channel , but Ryzen benefits a lot from using dual channel memory.

Yes, I am thinking on custom build only,  similar like this: https://laptopwithlinux.com/cart-share/lHlyI
Only laptop with replacable ROMs want buy.


Man invented languages to satisfy his deep needs to complain

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB