You are not logged in.

#176 2020-12-16 18:21:17

ugjka
Member
From: Latvia
Registered: 2014-04-01
Posts: 1,555
Website

Re: How do Archers play their music?

Lately I just use the Spotify webplayer


Fix yo shit: journalctl -b -p warning
Github

Offline

#177 2020-12-17 03:14:17

Serum
Member
From: Indianapolis, IN
Registered: 2020-11-25
Posts: 10

Re: How do Archers play their music?

Spotify. Beyond that I don't have any music downloaded, as it's all just physical (CD, vinyl, etc.).

Offline

#178 2021-03-06 00:07:21

Comrade_Stalin
Member
From: Moscow, USSR.
Registered: 2021-03-05
Posts: 8
Website

Re: How do Archers play their music?

Is MPD really worth it? For some reason I can never get it working on my system. I'd like to see what all the fuss is about, so I will struggle on. Until then, I normally use MOC. I organise all my music in a folder structure, and I like how MOC is basically a file browser. Most other music players try to organise by band and that is very annoying because I have many albums with multiple bands on them and they get all fragmented and I can never find what I'm looking for.


☭ Long live the immortal science of Marxism- Leninism! ☭

Offline

#179 2021-03-06 00:42:59

ratcheer
Member
Registered: 2011-10-09
Posts: 811

Re: How do Archers play their music?

Spotify Linux client, Youtube, vlc.

ALSA, Pipewire, pulseeffects.

PC outputs via USB to external DAC/amplifier, then on to headphones.

Last edited by ratcheer (2021-03-06 11:43:17)

Offline

#180 2021-03-06 01:02:14

Awebb
Member
Registered: 2010-05-06
Posts: 5,809

Re: How do Archers play their music?

I have given up on anything but folder based music libraries. As soon as more than artist per song or album is involved, it's always a dice roll whether the files are tagged correctly or the player handles it well.

@Comrade_Stalin: MPD has its use cases. I used to have a RPi in every room that started to play whatever MPD was playing on the press of a button. I also had between two and four room mates, who used a phone app to push whatever they liked into the playlist.

Today we have a bluetooth speaker and everybody has a phone.

Offline

#181 2021-03-14 18:21:50

btdmaster
Member
Registered: 2021-02-03
Posts: 3

Re: How do Archers play their music?

#!/bin/sh
mpv --shuffle --start=$(shuf -i 1-100 -n 1)% ~/Music/*.mp3

Offline

#182 2021-03-14 19:05:40

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 5,809
Website

Re: How do Archers play their music?

Windows in QEMU/KVM running the Tidal desktop application (so I can access their MQA files) with an Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt USB DAC passed through to the VM and feeding either KLH Ultimate One headphones or Adam A77X active studio monitors. I just wish Tidal had a Linux application with MQA support. They have an Android version so it should be possible to port it over.

Offline

#183 2021-03-15 12:20:18

kokoko3k
Member
Registered: 2008-11-14
Posts: 2,121

Re: How do Archers play their music?

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Windows in QEMU/KVM running the Tidal desktop application (so I can access their MQA files) with an Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt USB DAC passed through to the VM and feeding either KLH Ultimate One headphones or Adam A77X active studio monitors. I just wish Tidal had a Linux application with MQA support. They have an Android version so it should be possible to port it over.

Are you (or anyone!) really able to hear any difference between HiFi and Master quality or do just need the latter for audio processing work?

Last edited by kokoko3k (2021-03-15 12:21:03)


Help me to improve ssh-rdp !

Offline

#184 2021-03-15 13:15:21

Flemur
Member
Registered: 2012-05-24
Posts: 30

Re: How do Archers play their music?

foobar2000


"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading." -- L.T.

Offline

#185 2021-03-15 17:04:16

Awebb
Member
Registered: 2010-05-06
Posts: 5,809

Re: How do Archers play their music?

kokoko3k wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Windows in QEMU/KVM running the Tidal desktop application (so I can access their MQA files) with an Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt USB DAC passed through to the VM and feeding either KLH Ultimate One headphones or Adam A77X active studio monitors. I just wish Tidal had a Linux application with MQA support. They have an Android version so it should be possible to port it over.

Are you (or anyone!) really able to hear any difference between HiFi and Master quality or do just need the latter for audio processing work?

I thought religion was discouraged as a topic here :-P

Offline

#186 2021-03-15 17:08:20

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 5,809
Website

Re: How do Archers play their music?

kokoko3k wrote:

Are you (or anyone!) really able to hear any difference between HiFi and Master quality

Oh yes, the difference is readily apparent. I wasn't expecting it to be such a step up in quality so I am pleasantly surprised.

Offline

#187 2021-03-16 11:25:49

kokoko3k
Member
Registered: 2008-11-14
Posts: 2,121

Re: How do Archers play their music?

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
kokoko3k wrote:

Are you (or anyone!) really able to hear any difference between HiFi and Master quality

Oh yes, the difference is readily apparent. I wasn't expecting it to be such a step up in quality so I am pleasantly surprised.

Awebb wrote:

I thought religion was discouraged as a topic here :-P

Well, never say never!

First, one have to consider that if the master was really recorded at 96khz, porting it to 44.1 requires a non-integer resample, so the quality loss is in the file itself.
(i wonder why they did not record at 88.2k if the cd-quality has always been 44.1 and why tidal itself does not offer hifi quality at 48khz; after all they don't sell audio-cds...)

As for the religion thing, I made a simple in home test with good equipement and a simple sine sweep from low to high frequencies and I would really like to be able to hear anything over (analog) 13.5/14 khz  (depends on the left or right ear in use), but unfortunately that result seems pretty standard for my age.
Head_on_a_Stick: Just curiosity, have you ever tried something like that? What's your age if i can ask?

I can understand that the "quality" of the frequencies i can still reach may depend on even higher frequencies due to aliasing issues; maybe humans who can *clearly* hear (digital) 44khz can still benefit from 96khz, i've to trust them :-)
...and maybe the lower quantization error tue to the higher bits per sample could play a role for normal ears too,tho.

Last edited by kokoko3k (2021-03-16 11:44:20)


Help me to improve ssh-rdp !

Offline

#188 2021-03-16 12:07:35

Awebb
Member
Registered: 2010-05-06
Posts: 5,809

Re: How do Archers play their music?

I was more or less kidding. Since after a series of accidents and incidents, my hearing is so bad that I have to turn on subtitles when I try to watch a movie late at night without waking up the neighbours. Before that, I was quite the audiophile.

Offline

#189 2021-03-16 12:22:56

raphaelabb
Member
From: France
Registered: 2021-02-03
Posts: 14

Re: How do Archers play their music?

moc for myself, Deadbeef for the family, they aren't really fond of the terminal interface, all that from a 30Gb music folder...

Offline

#190 2021-03-16 15:05:38

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 17,695

Re: How do Archers play their music?

Awebb wrote:

I was more or less kidding. Since after a series of accidents and incidents, my hearing is so bad that I have to turn on subtitles when I try to watch a movie late at night without waking up the neighbours. Before that, I was quite the audiophile.

Nothing involving maple syrup, I hope.  wink

In all seriousness, I am sad to learn of your loss.  My dad went deaf due to loud sounds and a virus; it was hard to watch.  Protect what you have left.


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Online

#191 2021-03-16 15:38:10

kokoko3k
Member
Registered: 2008-11-14
Posts: 2,121

Re: How do Archers play their music?

ewaller wrote:
Awebb wrote:

I was more or less kidding. Since after a series of accidents and incidents, my hearing is so bad that I have to turn on subtitles when I try to watch a movie late at night without waking up the neighbours. Before that, I was quite the audiophile.

Nothing involving maple syrup, I hope.  wink

In all seriousness, I am sad to learn of your loss.  My dad went deaf due to loud sounds and a virus; it was hard to watch.  Protect what you have left.

Sorry awebb, i quote the advice of ewaller.
My father has now the same problem, it was due to his "love" for hunting and shooting without protecting his ears.
If somebody is thinking about karma, he's probably right...


Help me to improve ssh-rdp !

Offline

#192 2021-03-16 16:28:06

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 5,809
Website

Re: How do Archers play their music?

kokoko3k wrote:

have you ever tried something like that? What's your age if i can ask?

I'm 46. I haven't tried any tones to see how high my hearing goes (but I might now you've given me the idea) but I wouldn't think much over 10kHz would be audible for me — I've worked as a full-time motorcycle courier for the last 18 years and I can't be bothered wearing earplugs on the motorway so I've pretty much destroyed my upper frequency perception and given myself tinnitus. But the MQA files are still noticeably better than the plain "HiFi" versions I can hear via the native Linux Tidal applications smile

kokoko3k wrote:

I can understand that the "quality" of the frequencies i can still reach may depend on even higher frequencies due to aliasing issues

Yes indeed, the digital filter brick wall can induce ringing artefacts that extend throughout the frequency range and at any rate the temporal discrimination of the human auditory system is almost certainly more important in respect of verisimilitude than the frequencies.

Meridian issued an extensive MQA FAQ for Stereophile magazine that covers this and other points: https://www.stereophile.com/content/mqa … nd-answers

EDIT: no, not the maple syrup again! yikes

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2021-03-16 16:30:10)

Offline

#193 2021-03-16 17:27:39

Awebb
Member
Registered: 2010-05-06
Posts: 5,809

Re: How do Archers play their music?

ewaller wrote:

Protect what you have left.

I will! One ear still works enough to not be legally deaf. It all happened thanks to stress from being self-employed overlaying a number of undiagnosed conditions. It's been three years now and I have mostly adapted to my new situation. On the bright side (and on topic), I used to spend a lot of money on audio equipment and battled all operating systems to provide me with surround sound on headphones. Now a decent 2.1 desktop set and a simple soundbar with clear speakers is enough.

Offline

#194 2021-03-16 17:33:34

Roken
Member
From: UK
Registered: 2012-01-16
Posts: 1,140

Re: How do Archers play their music?

I reach for the album I want to play, put it on the turntable, start it spinning and gently lower the needle onto the lead in.


[img]https://www.speedtest.net/result/11113231962.png[/img]

Ryzen 1800x 8 core/16 thread - 2 x GTX 1070 8Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 6 HD (1 NvME PCI, 5SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

Offline

#195 2021-03-18 02:25:25

zpg443
Member
Registered: 2016-12-03
Posts: 160

Re: How do Archers play their music?

Audacious with playlists created by Archsimian.

Offline

#196 2021-04-09 19:25:13

diziet_sma
Member
From: A GSV in your solar system
Registered: 2019-08-05
Posts: 7

Re: How do Archers play their music?

MPD with OpenAL output, so I can use HRTFs. (Which sound better to me by default, at least with my current headphones, than any crossfeed setup I've tried.) My brain is weird about sound, so simulating natural-sounding audio is a big deal.

For the frontend I currently use Cantata, I'm always on the lookout for new ones though. Kind of want to eventually write my own in Rust+GTK.

Offline

#197 2021-04-12 07:45:14

NullRoute
Member
Registered: 2018-05-26
Posts: 20

Re: How do Archers play their music?

Why use mplayer when you can use "cmus" (https://cmus.github.io/)

Also for streaming Radio, you can use "nvlc" (https://helpmanual.io/help/nvlc/)

Last edited by NullRoute (2021-04-12 07:47:27)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB