You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-07 16:05:20

tonimark

[SOLVED]failed to start session error after switching to KDE plasma

i decided to move to plasma-desktop since it had better customization translation and better user interface
I installed with pacman -S plasma-meta  kde-applications-meta
and removed the old cinnamon desktop
I have a fully working Xorg server.

the desktop environment loads fine but when I got presented in user loading I try both my normal user with password and with the root user with a password but neither of these work
I know the password both to root and username when I load with the password I got error failed to start the session when I try with my a random incorrect one I get error wrong password please try again later , I know the wrong password but it appears that desktop is corrupted , is there any way of booting into stock shell and fixing the desktop?

Last edited by tonimark (2021-04-07 21:38:59)

#2 2021-04-07 16:17:29

seth

Re: [SOLVED]failed to start session error after switching to KDE plasma

is there any way of booting into stock shell and fixing the desktop?

2nd link in my signature…

#3 2021-04-07 18:23:51

tonimark

seth wrote:

so I managed to GUI bootless  running shell but pacman -R plasma-meta doesn't work even with removing each package.
I e in the bootloader (grub) and changed the 3 quite value to 1 quite and booted does this break anything?
did all packages (including Nvidia drivers) got removed and have to reinstall everything?

Last edited by tonimark (2021-04-07 18:26:04)

#4 2021-04-07 18:37:25

tonimark

tonimark wrote:
seth wrote:

so I managed to boot guiless  running shell but pacman -R plasma-meta doesn't work even with removing each package.
I e in the bootloader (grub) and changed the 3 quite value to 1 quite and booted does this break anything?
did all packages (including Nvidia drivers) got removed and have to reinstall everything?

#5 2021-04-07 19:12:43

seth

changed the 3 quiet value to 1 quiet and booted does this break anything?

You had sth. similar in a different thread about the forum captcha.
Please pay actual attention to what you're doing. Capitalization, quotation marks, often blanks and always the correct order of letters matter. A lot.

"1" is the siingle-user.target or rescue.target - it doesn't change anything to your system.
Neither does "pacman -R plasma-meta" because it *only* removed the meta-package that draws all other, actual, plasma packages.

What brings us to

the desktop environment loads fine but when I got presented in user loading I try both my normal user with password and with the root user with a password

This doesn't make sense at all. If you reached the desktop environment, you won't have to issue credentials. I assume you're talking about the display manager (SDDM)?

but neither of these work

doesn't work even with removing each package

Please read https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855 and http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Then post your system journal:

sudo journalctl -b | curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io

*after* attempting to login as your regular user (don't login as root into a graphical session) - otherwise this here will never go anywhere…

#6 2021-04-07 19:49:22

tonimark

seth wrote:

Please pay actual attention to what you're doing. Capitalization, quotation marks, often blanks and always the correct order of letters matter. A lot.

"1" is the siingle-user.target or rescue.target - it doesn't change anything to your system.
Neither does "pacman -R plasma-meta" because it *only* removed the meta-package that draws all other, actual, plasma packages.

What brings us to

the desktop environment loads fine but when I got presented in user loading I try both my normal user with password and with the root user with a password

This doesn't make sense at all. If you reached the desktop environment, you won't have to issue credentials. I assume you're talking about the display manager (SDDM)?

Please read https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855 and http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

*after* attempting to login as your regular user (don't login as root into a graphical session) - otherwise this here will never go anywhere…

I use lightdm
I typed the command in my usr but i get nothink
>_
Attempted to reinstall kde plasma ( via sudo pacman -S plasma-meta )
but i get multiple the request url returned error 404 possible for all repositories of sdk plasma-meta
Both ping google.com and archlinux.org works throught
Pacman -S Cinnamon also works possible explaining this error in the first place i use networkmanager package maybe switching download mirrors for kde plasma or checking the download on your side should fix it
By the way how to change download mirror for sdk plasma?

Last edited by tonimark (2021-04-07 20:04:36)

#7 2021-04-07 20:03:06

seth

This is going nowhere. Bye.

#8 2021-04-07 20:05:20

tonimark

tonimark wrote:
seth wrote:

What brings us to

I use lightdm
I typed the command in my usr but i get nothink
>_
Attempted to reinstall kde plasma ( via sudo pacman -S plasma-meta )
but i get multiple "the request url returned error : 404" possible for all repositories of sdk plasma-meta
Both ping google.com and archlinux.org works throught
Pacman -S Cinnamon also works possible explaining this error in the first place i use networkmanager package maybe switching download mirrors for kde plasma or checking the download on your side should fix it
By the way how to change download mirror for sdk plasma?

The package phonon-qt5-gstreamer was the only package that could be downloaded all other error 404

Last edited by tonimark (2021-04-07 20:11:42)

#9 2021-04-07 20:32:09

seth

Not sure whether you're a troll or a bot…

You're most  likely just still starting cinnaom. Check

cat ~/.dmrc

And you're getting 404's because you didn't update the database.

Last edited by seth (2021-04-07 20:32:55)

#10 2021-04-07 21:38:15

tonimark

seth wrote:

Not sure whether you're a troll or a bot…

You're most  likely just still starting cinnaom. Check

cat ~/.dmrc

And you're getting 404's because you didn't update the database.

it appeared that i had outdated DB
actions done:
remove cinnamon
remove lightdm
changed the master.default back to graphical
installed sddm with sddm-kcm
configured sddm to start on boot (service on systemctl)
reinstalled the plasma-meta and plasma-applications-meta

rebooted

and everything fixed perhaps the lightdm was misbehaving and downloaded the packaged with outdated DB before

Board footer