You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-30 12:51:07

gregoryjay

Wine no longer working after update - X Error GLXBadFBConfig

Any help would be deeply appreciated! Haven't played WoW for almost 3 days lol

Im using an i3 3570k with intel HD (4000 I think) onboard graphics. Using mesa, the xfs-intel-graphics driver causes my system to crash.
Been using it with no problems for about 8 years, it was definitely the last update that caused it. Here is the full error:

wine: Read access denied for device L"\\??\\Z:\\", FS volume label and serial are not
wine: Read access denied for device L"\\??\\Z:\\", FS volume label and serial are not
X Error of failed request:  GLXBadFBConfig
  Major opcode of failed request:  152 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  0 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  220
  Current serial number in output stream:  220

When I use sudo the first 2 lines disappear (but I never had to use sudo in the past.)

Cheers,

Greg

#2 2021-03-30 12:58:47

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Wine no longer working after update - X Error GLXBadFBConfig

In general. don't ever run wine as sudo.

Is this limited to wine or general GL? What's your

glxinfo -B #Needs mesa-demos

in

[code]code tags[/code]

What exactly was part of "last update"? Safe guess is the new mesa package, which might be defaulting to a weird OGL driver.

#3 2021-03-30 15:56:23

valon_soturi

EDIT: removed my original message, since the cause is probable

This most likely happens because you updated to Mesa 21. Apparently this is wine bug, and a workaround is proposed here https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50859#c11 . Set MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5 environment variable. This fixed the problem in all my use cases.

Last edited by valon_soturi (2021-03-30 17:41:47)

#4 2021-04-03 07:11:13

gregoryjay

Thanks for your response!

I have tried exporting MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5.  This allows the game to open the login screen (its Vanilla World of Warcraft old client) But entering the game it still crashes.

Here is the output from Wine (the last 5 line are when it crashes)

wine: Read access denied for device L"\\??\\Z:\\", FS volume label and serial are not available.
wine: Read access denied for device L"\\??\\Z:\\", FS volume label and serial are not available.
0024:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
0024:fixme:d3d:wined3d_swapchain_init The application requested more than one back buffer, this is not properly supported.
Please configure the application to use double buffering (1 back buffer) if possible.
0024:err:module:open_builtin_file failed to load .so lib "/usr/lib32/wine/winepulse.drv.so"
0024:fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (00040054, 00159100): stub
0110:fixme:d3d:state_linepattern_w Setting line patterns is not supported in OpenGL core contexts.
0110:err:d3d:wined3d_debug_callback 0x182948: "GL_INVALID_ENUM in glBindBufferARB(target GL_QUERY_BUFFER)".
0110:err:d3d:wined3d_debug_callback 0x182948: "GL_INVALID_ENUM in glBufferStorage(target)".
0110:err:d3d:wined3d_debug_callback 0x182948: "GL_INVALID_ENUM in glMapBufferRange(target)".
0110:err:d3d:wined3d_debug_callback 0x182948: "GL_INVALID_ENUM in glBindBufferARB(target GL_QUERY_BUFFER)".
0180:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION

glxinfo -B:

name of display: :0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
    Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center (0x8086)
    Device: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2) (0x162)
    Version: 21.0.1
    Accelerated: yes
    Video memory: 1536MB
    Unified memory: yes
    Preferred profile: core (0x1)
    Max core profile version: 4.5
    Max compat profile version: 4.5
    Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
    Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.0
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 21.0.1
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.20
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile

OpenGL version string: 4.5 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 21.0.1
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.20
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile

OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 21.0.1
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00

Thanks for any suggestions!

#5 2021-04-16 00:47:39

jehiva

I'm having the same error when running wine-5.0.1 (I had installed it from source, as some time ago an Arch shipped wine quit working with my Thinkpad W-530) and Dark Age of Camelot.

Similar to original poster, I updated mesa recently.

Exporting the environment variable as stated (MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5) lets me load up the 3d aspects of the game (login screen/enter world).

Edit/update: Setting this variable to 4.5 will cause Steam to fail to load any overlays / menus.  I am noticing that I need to set it to 4.2 for Steam to work as expected, however any games using Proton/Steam Play will not work (I then have to edit the custom launch command to export this version to 4.5 for just the game launch).

Last edited by jehiva (2021-04-16 02:45:22)

#6 2021-04-20 15:02:55

gregoryjay

I downgraded mesa and wine and it's working again for me.

#7 2021-04-20 20:06:44

griffrawk

I have had similar problems with some of my Steam games not working in Steam Play (Townscaper, Fallout 1, Eve Online which wouldn't even run the launcher), in *any* version of Proton that I tried. After reading the above I just tried downgrading mesa packages only from 21.0.2-1 back to 20.3.4-3, which is when a vaguely remember it working a few weeks ago. Also setting IgnorePkg   = lib32-mesa lib32-vulkan-intel mesa mesa-vdpau vulkan-intel in pacman.conf.

Everything now works. Just have to try again next time mesa gets a bump, although there's reports it could be a wine / Proton issue, see below.

Also oldish hardware (Dell Vostro 3560, Intel HD 4000) which normally runs these games usably well.

(edit)
Also found this https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/70015?p … &sort=desc

Last edited by griffrawk (2021-04-20 20:27:30)

#8 2021-04-20 20:31:17

diziet_sma

Best general workaround I've found so far is to use Wine Flatpak builds, e.g. from here:

https://github.com/fastrizwaan/flatpak-wine

Using the native package would be nice, but we seem to be going through a period where it's a bit flaky with system library versions. The GLXBadFBConfig issue is far from the only one I've run into lately with the packaged version and 3D stuff.

#9 2021-04-27 13:32:47

Marvix

As I do every time I want to run games in Linux, I create a separate user account (wineuser) according to Arch wiki.

Last time I used wine without problem, was in February. I don't remember which version.

But this time, from the previous weekend, I have the same issues as you. I have solved the most problems, by setting the environment variable

MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5

to the file ~/.pam_environment .

I use the latest versions of mesa 21.0.3-2 and wine 6.7-1.

Caution

Setting

MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5

in /etc/enviroment causes problems with Chromium and Chromium based-related software like Electron-based. The previous setting is mostly preferable.

For example, a game plays perfectly, except for the characters were they are not rendering and are 'invisible', making playing the game impossible.

Maybe we have to wait for an update or we don't have to and something is still missing for find.

Downgrading didn't solve the game problem.

#10 2021-04-29 13:01:44

zaxdan69

You don't have to use it like this. You can use it only with the game(s) need to. Because wine games usual need some different  things to do to make them work, I always create a script and I put there what it needs, then run the game from the script
for e.g:
#!bin/bash
export MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5
export MANGOHUD=1
export WINEPREFIX= /my/custom/prefix
gamemoderun wine "/path/to/game/executable"
Also you don't have to use the latest wine version if a game doesn't work with. You can use different versions or wine builds. You can have the latest version of wine and update it normally, but also you can create a folder in which you can put some other wine versions and I use them when needed.

Board footer