You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-21 18:06:24

toxic

Linux crashes router/AP

I sometimes experience that my router/Access Point breaks, probably when it receives an unexpected signal. I have this problem only when running linux (arch) and not while running windows.

When the router/AP crashes, it refuses to respond to any request, arp, ping, from either WLAN or LAN. I've found nothing in the logs (not that there where much logs to speak of).
This behavious occurs randomly, but I've noticed that it breaks many times more often while download things with pacman, or when loading flash web-pages with firefox.

My router is Netgear Rangemax, and I'm using ipw2200 driver for my wlan interface. With wpa_supplicant I use linux generic driver. MTU/MTSS are set to default values, and nothing really is out of the ordinary. Encryption algorithm used is WPA-PSK, with TKIP.

Have anyone else experienced similiar problems, or could might have an idea of what can fix this ? It's really annoying, and the only way to get the router working again is by resetting it or unplug the power cable. I haven't had this problem with my friends dlink router, (haven't tested much though).
Also, to my router firmware is up to date, and so is my computer, give the updates that exist in arch repos.

Thanks.

#2 2006-09-22 00:02:53

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: Linux crashes router/AP

you sure it's the router?

I had a similar issue with a belkin router, it'd just entirely ignore my ipw2100 and stop communicating with it until I rebooted the router.

iirc, i *think* i could still pull dhcp, but couldnt really do anything else beyond that.

James

#3 2006-09-22 17:19:14

toxic

I'm sure it's the router.

After a few rounds of pacman -Syu over the air it crashes, and I have several other computers connected to it by cable, among others a sever and a windows computer, and neither can access the router in any way, the router interface doesn't respond on basic arping or nothing.

#4 2006-09-30 05:05:02

drfindley
Website

This may sound looney, but I have the exact same problem, ipw2200 w/ WPA security, netgear router, and dies on pacman -Sy (anything larger than tiny).
it stinketh ..... any ideas? I can watch the wire hiccup a little.

Board footer