You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-31 07:35:19

meky22

Archinstall script set intel_pstate=no_hwp in the boot entry WHY?

Hi,

I already installed arch many times on the same PC and never heard about intel_pstate=no_hwp but the new archinstall script set this rule in my boot entry, should I keep it or delete it? my CPU is Intel core i9 7920x and I already installed intel-ucode and added it to my boot entry.

title Arch Linux
linux /vmlinuz-linux
initrd /intel-ucode.img
initrd /initramfs-linux.img
options root=PARTUUID=xxxxxxxxxxx rw intel_pstate=no_hwp

Thanks

#2 2021-05-31 07:44:28

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Archinstall script set intel_pstate=no_hwp in the boot entry WHY?

The nature of these assisted install scripts is that someone else makes decisions for you. Without knowing anything about your hardware, or your requirements. Asking why is sort of pointless if you are actually using the script: that's the whole point.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2021-05-31 08:12:05

V1del
Forum Moderator

Moving to guided installer subsection.

That also makes me wonder, what the general rationale is behind setting this unconditionally. Just from personal anecdote I feel the scaling behaviour to be more consistent on my 6700K system with hwp enabled.

Hmm after a bit of googling it appears that a certain set of lenovo chipsets have a throttling problem with no_hwp set, I don't find any "more general" references to this being an issue on other systems, though from what we've had on the boards certain dells might be affected as well.

Last edited by V1del (2021-05-31 12:44:40)

#4 2021-06-18 08:28:53

Torxed

It's a inheritance from the legacy code base where we who developed it was using lenovo machines and we had issues without it.
I think we can safely remove it these days since it might decrease performance for the general public, and if we want it there we should detect hardware (through the new hardware detection API calls).

Board footer