You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-27 10:40:03

phfaster

NetworkManager OpenVPN connection always goes down after time

Hello everyone,

I use OpenVPN config to connect to my corporate network. I use OpenVPN plugin for NetworkManager applet.

So every time I set the checkbox that enables my VPN connection, in fact the connection isn't established - I can't connect to needed websites. To make it work I run "sudo systemctl reload NetworkManager" command right after setting the checkbox.

After time connection goes down again (checkbox is still set, nmcli con shows that connection is established, but the websites doesn't work). I run "sudo systemctl reload NetworkManager" again and it works again without disabling-enabling the VPN connection.

Do you have any thoughts about that? Please help, I don't know even how to formulate a question to Google. I haven't found anything to solve my problem.

I don't know which logs to provide, but seems that "journalctl" doesn't provide any logs for OpenVPN.
"sudo systemctl status NetworkManager" doesn't show any errors. All seems good. Thanks.

Config:
Mother: Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE V2
RAM: DDR4 8x4 Kingston KHX3200C16D4/8GX
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor
No external network card.

UPD 1. Temporary fixed by cron (restarting NetworkManager every 1 minute)

Last edited by phfaster (2021-05-31 10:02:45)

#2 2021-06-02 09:15:48

holiday
Banned

Re: NetworkManager OpenVPN connection always goes down after time

You could try going without NetworkManager. A simple systemd-network config might be informative and perhaps will be a better solution than NM

#3 2021-06-03 06:11:08

seth

Re: NetworkManager OpenVPN connection always goes down after time

The usual suspect is btw. that you've multiple network controlling services running, output of:

find /etc/systemd -type l -exec test -f {} \; -print | awk -F'/' '{ printf ("%-40s | %s\n", $(NF-0), $(NF-1)) }' | sort -f

?

Board footer