You are not logged in.

#751 2021-05-28 21:22:01

quequotion
Website

Re: Pantheon Shell on Archlinux

Thorned_Rose wrote:

Hey quequotion, just wondering what your take on the current state of Pantheon on Arch is, with Elementary 6.0 now in beta?

Changes are happening; some of Alucryd's packages have been updated already and several new stable releases are pending upstream. TBH, I am not fully up-to-date and neither are my AUR packages. The wiki may need updates as well. AFAIK, we still don't have a stable release of pantheon-session, which explains why that script hacks one out of the AUR package into ~/.xsession.

Should I put the effort in, after all this

If you have time to test the instructions in the wiki, and report back any that don't work, it would be helpful.

I have been out of the loop for a while because of major changes in my personal life and I don't have as much time as I used to, but I am still using a Pantheon based desktop so I have a vested interest in keeping this working.

#752 2021-06-09 13:12:29

sosonok

Hi everyone.

Do you know TeArch project? They have a Pantheon spin-off. No more info, indeed, but a developer says they patch some Arch packages ("Example: we patch Gnome settings daemon for Gala"). Could this work be useful for Arch users interested in Pantheon Desktop?

Last edited by sosonok (2021-06-09 13:12:52)

#753 2021-06-16 06:32:38

Use**ame

sosonok, hi. I could not even boot up and try this distribution... By the way, you did not leave a link to the project, I will fix that https://tearch-linux.github.io/

#754 2021-07-21 13:46:41

quequotion
Website

It's a long time coming, and not quite here, but elementary OS 6.0.0 "Odin" is coming soon, and with it many new stable releases that could be packaged for Archlinux.

They've published some kind of ruby server you can run locally to get updates about releases.

I note that Alucryd is already busy updating packages.

The OS release brings with it big changes.

I am hoping we can finally have a pantheon-session package in [extra] for one, but there are also new components having their first stable release and old components being deprecated.

Among the new components I'd like to see in [extra] are pantheon-notifications, and pantheon-settings-daemon.

Still waiting on a release of "Dock" (elementary OS's fork of Plank), but if it does come out it would be great to have in [extra] as well, while plank could be removed from the "pantheon" group.

I know that cerbere is deprecated (although Archlinux really needs pantheon-session>=6.0.0 and dock in [extra] to use Pantheon without it), and I believe that pantheon-dpms-helper is as well.

By the way, still curious why gala and switchboard-plug-desktop are in a "pantheon-unstable" group, just the two of them.

Last edited by quequotion (2021-07-21 13:49:25)

#755 2021-07-22 04:22:09

Use**ame

I hope we get a stable and working version soon! I don't quite understand the difference between plank and dock?

The pantheon-session-git package needs to be updated:

~/» yay -S pantheon-session-git
 -> Could not find all required packages:
	libwingpanel-2.0.so=0-64 (Wanted by: pantheon-session-git)
~/» 

#756 2021-07-22 15:42:47

quequotion
Website

Use**ame wrote:

the difference between plank and dock?

Plank is not developed in house by elementary OS, it's mostly developed by one person, and gets updated sporadically.

Dock is maintained in elementary OS's own source repository. In theory, it is being developed more rapidly than Plank and with a greater focus on Pantheon-specific features.

#757 2021-07-22 23:35:34

Use**ame

Thanks for the clarification, I always thought it was exactly the opposite.

Board footer