You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-01 12:17:43

FUBAR
Website

[Wireless networking] Which tools? How do I connect?

I got a new laptop from work! Oh joy! It's got a built in wireless adapter. Even more joy! However, it's the first time I ever used a wireless adapter under Linux. I installed the beyond-kernel because it's got all the special IBM Thinkpad patches, and my wireless card is detected and working. Even the fancy Intel SpeedStep technology is working.

But how now, brown cow? Obviously I want to be able to scan for networks and connect to them. So far, the only tool I've come accross is Kwifimanager. But this one doesn't allow me to insert the WEP-key so it can't connect.

I'd also prefer a non KDE-tool to do the job to get rid of all the dependencies. Does anyone have a list of must have wireless tools?

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#2 2006-10-01 13:17:16

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: [Wireless networking] Which tools? How do I connect?

networkmanager does what you want. it's in the repos, so if you want a gnome one gnome-network-manager, it's there, and knetworkmanager is in the AUR or community, not sure.

on the GTK side, there's also wifi-radar, if you'd like to use that.

and at the command line, arch provides some basic profile support, take a look in /etc/network-profiles. These are currently being entirely reworked, so keep your eyes open for the new setup in the coming months.

James

#3 2006-10-01 14:34:02

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

iwlist <interface_name> scan will give a list of all available networks. You must run it as root to get the current results though. As mentioned above you can use wireless file to set it up through the network daemon. Manually, bring up the interface with ifconfig and connect to a network using iwconfig.

#4 2006-10-01 15:44:31

FUBAR
Website

Wow, wifi-radar works wonderfully well! Now for some tools to get on every WLAN! :evil:

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

Board footer