You are not logged in.

#7101 2021-07-17 16:27:17

kazik241

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

hello Everyone!
I'm Peter,just installed arch Linux on my computer,after reading and watching tutorials and made lots of mistakes,finally i made it:)
I know its just beginning of my journey with arch and lots to learn,but i will do,i want explore my knowledge that's right i joined to the forum to read others issues and in the future,when i will learn more,help others.
I wish u have all the best:)

Last edited by kazik241 (2021-07-17 16:28:06)

#7102 2021-07-21 13:52:26

bosco

Hello! I'm Bosco, from Spain.
Never really introduced myself. I'm a former Mac OS user who finally made the switch to Linux after my last macbook pro died. Heard about arch in college (CS), had experience with Ubuntu in VMs and stuff  but fell down  the rabbit hole of minimalism (I'm not entirely there, but that's where I strive). On my journey I got to understand more about how my OS works in general, and grown accustomed to writing my own scripts instead of chasing for big applications that suit my needs, I'm also more privacy aware than I used to be, and have more of a preference for free software, I used to have the idea that free software was about being cheap and chasing freebies, now I know it has more to do with freedom.
I'm sticking with arch also due to its wiki and repositories, this ironically makes it easier to troubleshoot problems and having a functional workflow than allegedly easy distros.
Sorry for the long post, and thanks to the work that has been put up by the community at large!

Last edited by bosco (2021-07-21 14:06:52)

#7103 2021-07-22 03:44:31

soneminu

Hello everyone... I'm Minu. Nice to meet you. First time Linux user. Please be gentle.

My computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements for Windows 11. I came across a video that showcased Linux-based alternatives to Windows. It was intriguing, and I thought to myself, why not? If my computer won't run Windows 11, I'll have to switch to another operating system in the future. Might as well do it now. I decided to challenge myself and went for Arch as my first distribution instead of Ubuntu, or some of the other popular distributions. I still have to learn a lot of things, but at least I have a local repo in a USB 3.0 thumb drive that I can pacstrap my stuff from, to avoid wasting bandwidth (this is handy because I find myself reinstalling Arch often). While I think it's been a good learning experience so far, my experience with the OS as an actual user has been mixed, especially in respect of graphics drivers and hardware control being very limited compared to Windows (e.g. with Nvidia). I really want to like it, and I'm looking forward to doing so, but it's all still uncertain, and has issues that have yet to be fixed.

While I do like tinkering with things, at the end of the day I'm just a consumer.

#7104 2021-07-22 06:02:32

Docbroke

soneminu wrote:

Hello everyone... I'm Minu. Nice to meet you. First time Linux user. Please be gentle.

While I think it's been a good learning experience so far, my experience with the OS as an actual user has been mixed, especially in respect of graphics drivers and hardware control being very limited compared to Windows (e.g. with Nvidia). I really want to like it, and I'm looking forward to doing so, but it's all still uncertain, and has issues that have yet to be fixed.

While I do like tinkering with things, at the end of the day I'm just a consumer.

Hi, welcome to arch.
I think arch is very tough choice for new linux user, as they are not aware of various packages and requirements, additionally their lack of linux knowledge leads to less than ideal configuration and they may think linux is bad (which is not true), it is generally better to try some ready to use distros, get oriented to linux, especially learn what linux can do. As a new user you may feel that arch is less capable compared to window but in most cases that would be improper system configuration, unless you are using latest hardware for which open source drivers are not available.

#7105 2021-07-22 10:37:38

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

soneminu wrote:

My computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements for Windows 11. I came across a video that showcased Linux-based alternatives to Windows. It was intriguing, and I thought to myself, why not? If my computer won't run Windows 11, I'll have to switch to another operating system in the future. Might as well do it now. I decided to challenge myself and went for Arch as my first distribution instead of Ubuntu, or some of the other popular distributions. I still have to learn a lot of things, but at least I have a local repo in a USB 3.0 thumb drive that I can pacstrap my stuff from, to avoid wasting bandwidth (this is handy because I find myself reinstalling Arch often). While I think it's been a good learning experience so far, my experience with the OS as an actual user has been mixed, especially in respect of graphics drivers and hardware control being very limited compared to Windows (e.g. with Nvidia). I really want to like it, and I'm looking forward to doing so, but it's all still uncertain, and has issues that have yet to be fixed.

Unlike some other distributions, Arch doesn't shield you from whatever software developers come up with and publish online. So if the kernel breaks or the nvidia drivers do, Arch users will be among the first to notice. That's something to keep in mind if you want to limit time spent on having a functional computer.

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#7106 2021-07-22 14:21:21

shinobironin98

Hola!! Love from India. I have been using ubuntu for a while now. But decided to switch to arch since it really wasn't my cup of tea. I learnt that shifting to arch will help me a long way in terms of both linux and as a professional. I didnt use much linux cmds when i used ubuntu. So i am hoping to learn loads!!

#7107 2021-07-22 15:22:35

afriaen

Hello,

My name is afriaen.

I am here as the representative of 5 learners. We are all moving from Mint to Arch and are already learning a lot from the installment process. However we are not through it yet and I feel a strong need for a detailed understanding, and this is why I became a member of your forum.

I already realized that using Arch is a excellent way to force oneself to obtain real OS knowledge.

Thank you for the experience!

afriaen

#7108 2021-07-27 13:11:11

rodi x-86-64

hello archers
i am rodi and new to arch, i was in arch32 for a few days until an admin told me that i can try arch64
and here i am:

Operating System: Arch Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.84.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.13.5-arch1-1 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 2 × Genuine Intel® CPU U4100 @ 1.30GHz
Memory: 3,8 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset
have a nice day

#7109 2021-07-27 13:20:47

softman
Website

Hi, I decided to check the linux arch distro after a few others that I used;)

greetings

#7110 2021-07-27 21:06:37

Doevix

Hello there! After years of being away from it since my Uni days, I came back to Arch. This time with a better knowledge in how Linux works and actually taking part in the community. Was using Mint for a while but missed using Arch even if the last time I used it was a very superficial usage with little knowledge in what I was actually doing. Now that I managed to configure a stable system exactly how I want it to be for me I really love it and hope to stick to it from now on.

#7111 2021-07-30 04:19:10

gabereader

Hello! My name is Gabriel (Gabe, for short.) and I installed Arch Linux four days ago (jul 26, 2021) using Arch Linux GUI Installer (https://sourceforge.net/projects/arch-linux-gui/) because I prefer graphical installers while formatting my pc *cough* I'm not yet brave enough for a command-line install *cough*. But I really like typing commands through terminal, tho.

I'm 25 yo, from Venezuela and I discovered Linux World through various Ubuntu flavors. My very first Linux Distro was Ubuntu Precise Pangolin (12.04) and I used Ubuntu (Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu) from version 12.04 through 14.10. Then I got back to Windows because my sister (with whom I used to share the computer) needed some specific engineering software I couldn't run using WINE.

As soon as she said I could uninstall that software, I decided it was time to try another Distro. That's when I discovered Linux Mint and stuck with it for a couple versions (from 16 "Petra" through 17.3 "Rosa"). After that, I installed Windows 10 for a while because I wanted to try it, but after some time it got buggy and slow as f*ck so I decided to backup my files and come back to Linux.

I installed Mint 20 Ulyanna and kept updating until 20.2 Uma (latest version) but even though I love Cinnamon Desktop, I was curious about Arch, so I installed Manjaro because it had a GUI Installer and a Cinnamon version. (two birds, one stone) and I was planning to stuck with Manjaro, but then I watched a video about ALG Project and here I am: Arch Linux with Cinnamon.

(I'm still getting used to writing 'Pacman -S' instead of 'apt install', or Pacman -Syu instead of 'Apt dist-upgrade' but that's the beauty of Linux, isn't it?)

#7112 2021-07-30 21:22:02

Fastjack

Alright, I'm making the jump. I will install Archlinux and try it out daily. Let's see how far I'll go. I know I'll learn more this way. I'll do my best to learn, and will read a lot before asking for help. May God have mercy on my soul ;-)

Edit: someone mentionned that this is not reddit. Thank you for pointing this out. After reading the "non-moderator note", I will add this:

Hi. I'm a newbie to Arch. I'd like to say hello to you. I'm switching to arch because I believe it will help me learn moe about linux as a whole. Hopefully if I get to configure things my way, I will enjoy the experience more.

Last edited by Fastjack (2021-07-30 21:51:12)

#7113 2021-07-30 21:36:00

ugjka
Website

This is not Reddit

https://ugjka.net
paru > yay | webcord > discord
pacman -S spotify-launcher
mount /dev/disk/by-...

#7114 2021-07-30 22:25:17

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

Moderator note: topics merged.

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#7115 2021-08-03 19:35:52

Grazulex
Website

Hello, My name is Jean-Marc and I work with Linux a few years (Debian, Ubuntu,...).
I have read a lot of good thinks about Arch and I will try this now and I hope work with this for my servers and others devices.

#7116 2021-08-04 06:29:32

dafengsu

Hello, everyone!I have been using arch for more than a year, and this is the first time I have spoken in the community.

#7117 2021-08-04 23:54:11

Breizh29

Hello,

My Linux journey after leaving Windows. Manjaro, then EndeavourOS and finally Arch.
greetings

#7118 2021-08-09 04:11:21

Shinra

Hi everyone, I'm Shinra smile

I decided I wanted to use Arch for a variety of reasons, but most notably my morbid curiosity and being tired of windows.

I've been challenging myself with more and more IT related topics lately, and Arch surely doesn't disappoint in the challenge department.

Happy to be here ^^
-Shinra

#7119 2021-08-11 14:17:46

admnj

Hey, went from running windows on my gaming desktop and laptop to linux little while ago, always had fun messing with at home linux servers previously so not a complete noob. Started with a Debian based distro because that was what I was used to in server environments but went to manjaro on the gaming desktop so my hardware would have the more recent kernel updates and quickly fell in love with the arch tools and annoyed with manjaro guard rails. So I am now running Arch on my primary machine my laptop that I use for school and work. My gaming rig hasn't made the full switch over yet mainly because I don't want to re-download game libraries (steam installs can be saved between installs fairly easy but the same with lutris is difficult, suggestions?) when I can just remove packages I don't like from manjaro... I might get annoyed enough though just to rip that out and start fresh there too.

Last edited by admnj (2021-08-11 14:19:58)

#AdmnJ

#7120 2021-08-12 19:37:55

aferngas

Hi everyone! I'm Alex!

I have been using Arch on my computers for the last 5 years without serious problems. I have finally decided to participate in the community.

Greetings

#7121 2021-08-16 04:57:42

rockingshan

Hi all. Hope everyone is good. I have used linux for around 5-6 years now. But never tried the arch way. Finally after 3-4 days of hit and miss I am here.

#7122 2021-08-17 21:52:06

universe822

Hi.
This was hard.
love you

#7123 2021-08-23 13:33:00

spiderkangaroo

Hi everyone,

I've been messing around various Linux distros like half my life now (which is not that much, of course big_smile me being younger than the first line of code of the kernel). It's been fun and new learnings since then and the moment some random guy told me about arch I basically got home as fast as I could to start setting it up.
Happy to join you here, though my first arch install was already like one year ago.

Have fun!
spiderkangaroo

#7124 2021-08-27 14:56:10

thephatmaster

Hello there,

I'm setting up a new box and decided to try Arch. I'm coming from LUbuntu so may not be experienced enough to stay long.

I am disappointed, but also excited and happy to be here because:

- F**k that registration question. I was trying to register on my phone (because its 2021), and had to not only go and fire up a linux box, but also lauch bash (from fsh) to get that answered. It's like the arch is sticking two fingers up at (1) the new guy; and (2) anyone who is not up and running

- Once I've installed Arch, my PC will be under my control, and I won't have to put up with other distros' inconveniences - if I don't like something it'll be my fault.

May the fun continue...

#7125 2021-08-28 10:38:37

Superadmin

I am a arch user now !!
I am a newbie too

Board footer