You are not logged in.

#7126 2021-08-30 15:00:11

lw2006

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Used manjaro for a few months, finally switched to arch yesterday, I love how I know exactly whats on my system and the satisfaction of configuring the os yourself is amazing

#7127 2021-08-30 22:43:29

PolGZ

Hi everybody!

Long "shadow-reader" here, finally registered, lol.

I'm about to open a topic asking for help to understand something, but I wanted to say hello to all of you beforehand.

Cheers! big_smile

Last edited by PolGZ (2021-08-30 23:21:58)

#7128 2021-09-01 21:36:51

Lichtprotoss

Hi everybody!

Using Arch Linux since a few months, already reader here and now registered to ask my first question :-)

Thanks for your helpful support!

Cheers

#7129 2021-09-02 14:57:52

jguerreiro
Website

Greetings from Brazil - Rio de Janeiro.

Arch is great! It's working very well on my 3 laptops:

1. Macbook 4.1 ( Core2 Duo - zen kernel with LXDE)
2. Lenovo T400 ( Core 2 Duo -  zen kernel with LXDE )
3. Samsung Series 5. ( i7 - zen-kernel with KDE )

Only problem I had was with the Macbook wifi chip Broadcom BCM 4321, but the wiki helped me solve, now its working pretty well!

Ty all!

"Take care of your heart ... You are rotting alive."

#7130 2021-09-03 23:52:32

Gendeto

Nice distro! I have used it since half a year. Best feelings on my old computer!

#7131 2021-09-12 14:13:50

apophysis

Hi all.  I'm new to the forum and new to arch, but not new to linux.  I've used Slackware as my main personal distro since 2002 and Red Hat at work.  I'm not sure what made me switch to arch exactly after nearly 20 years of Slackware, but nearly every linux issue I've searched for the past few years linked to the arch wiki so maybe that planted the seed.  I'm nearing the completion of my Master's Degree, so I finally will have the time to pursue a longtime personal goal of mine:  get involved and contribute to the open source community.  I started by building the Linux From Scratch distro to gain a deeper understanding of the OS that I've known and loved, and to get another personal goal off the backburner.  Now I'm joining the forum to contribute by helping others and to learn more about arch along the way.  I hope to find more ways to contribute to the open source community as I learn more about arch.

#7132 2021-09-13 13:45:11

whyrhd

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum. I'm using Linux on a very basic newbie level for quite some years now. I started with ubuntu and switched via Debian to Arch some months ago. Why can I say? It's the best Linux-expierence I made yet. Nevertheless, I face troubles every now and then and I have used the forum here since I've switched to Arch. Now it was about time to register!

#7133 2021-09-15 18:13:44

0n3-z3r0

Hello fellow Archers smile

I´m from germany trying to get a deeper understanding of Linux. I messed around a little with Debian /Raspian Manjaro and Alpine now trying to find "my" distro.

Im glad to be here to learn and have fun.

#7134 2021-09-15 19:24:29

aksilarch

hi o/, archlinux makes me happy

archlinux cures my depression.

#7135 2021-09-15 22:41:01

u41c

Ooh, what's this? A time machine?

#7136 2021-09-20 21:11:45

Advertisment

Hello everyone smile

I was running some Unix for a while now, but apparently my new laptop is not yet supported. So I've switched back to the ol' reliable.

#7137 2021-09-22 09:36:23

ivanbogomolov
Website

Hello all.
Finally i sign up to forum later over 2 years from install arch linux on my dell latitude.
Before arch i was 5 years on fedora.
Today i have 2 dell laptops with arch and it works fine and enough for my job smile
arch helps me to get better understanding linux.
Thanks to arch and to community!

Last edited by ivanbogomolov (2021-09-22 09:37:00)

archlinux on dell latitude 3460 (intel-i5 16gb ddr3 1000gb ssd)
archlinux on dell g15 5510 (intel-i7 16gb ddr4 1000gb ssd nvidia geforce rtx 3050 Ti 4096 Mb)

#7138 2021-09-22 13:30:18

SrEstegosaurio

Hello! smile

This is my second year using only GNU/Linux (and FOSS software when possible)!

I was just tired of Windows and one day I just plugged a USB stick and here I am.
I entered this forum because with time I discovered that are a great way of solve problems!

Thanks to all the ppl that made all this possible! tongue

Sorry about my English, still learning.

#7139 2021-09-28 10:23:02

Ridwan Rawriet

If you don't know, I'm using Arch BTW!

#7140 2021-10-02 19:12:38

walkingstickfan

My Linux journey began in 1994 when I purchased a set of Mandrake Linux 5.25-in floppy discs from CompUSA. I got home and began the installation routine and thought, you've got to be kidding me. I immediately gave up on Linux at that point.

My interest in Linux was rekindled in 2005 when Ubuntu began to become popular. However, lack of support for hardware like printers and scanners deterred me from using Linux.

In 2008, I purchased an ASUS EeePC that came with Windows 98. Windows 98 ran like molasses on the EeePC, so I did an Internet search on possible Linux distros that might run better. I discovered CrunchBang Linux, featuring the Openbox window manager and the Tint2 panel working together as a desktop environment. I was smitten. However, I was a developer at the time and I didn't have the time to tinker much with Linux, so I once again put it on the shelf.

In 2011, I decided to install the Windows 8 preview under VirtualBox and I didn't like what I saw. I decided it was time to learn Linux and be done with Microsoft and Windows. I installed Crunchbang Linux once again, this time under VirtualBox, with the intent to learn as much as possible to eventually run Linux as my daily driver.

In 2012, I resigned from my job which gave me oodles of time to tinker with CrunchBang Linux and tinker I did. I began using CrunchBang Linux as my daily driver.

The sole developer of CrunchBang Linux decided to call it quits in 2015, but a few members of the CrunchBang community got together and decided to continue CrunchBang Linux as BunsenLabs. I continued my Linux journey with BunsenLabs for a little over 2 years, but eventually left because I felt unwelcome due to remarks made to me by a few influential members of the community. I also didn't care for some of the customization that was done under the hood of what was essentially Debian Linux.

I had learned enough to install Debian Linux and make it fairly similar to BunsenLabs. I had also learned enough to install and run Debian Unstable, so I was multi-booting Debian Stable and Debian Unstable.

In 2018, my wife asked me to make an old MacBook Pro usable so she could use it. I did a bit of research and discovered that the MacBook Pro my wife wanted me to make usable would cease to get upgrades within one year. I then set out to find a suitable Linux distribution to install on the MacBook Pro and discovered Solus.

I was successfull at installing Solus on the MacBook Pro and I was smitten by the distribution. Solus is the easiest and most stable rolling release Linux distribution I've ever used.

Once again however, I felt unwelcome in a Linux distribution community, Solus in this case, based on remarks made to me in forum posts. I disliked the snarky replies by one of the lead developers of the distribution and I was also chastised for repeatedly recommending use of the command line to perform package operations versus using the Solus Software Center, even though the GUI package manager had known issues. The mentality of the Solus development team seems to be that if a user has to use the command line, then said Linux distribution is a failure. My view: stick with Windows or MacOS if you don't want to use or learn the command line; there's power in the command line.

Having watched some videos about Arch Linux on the Chris Titus and Old Tech Bloke YouTube channels, I had been planning to try my hand at using Arch Linux. I decided to run Arch Linux under VirtualBox for awhile to learn how to install it and to see how the upgrade process went. After about 3 months without any upgrade issues and armed with copious installation and configuration notes, I finally decided to wipe the SSD on my laptop and install Arch on it. So far, I've ran Arch on my laptop for just over a month without issue and I have learned so much.

I will eventually re-install Debian Stable and Debian Unstable on my laptop to see how Arch and Debian get along together. If all goes well on my laptop, I will also install Arch along with Debian Stable and Debian Unstable on my desktop as well.

My Linux distribution merit badges: Antergos, Arch Linux, antiX, Bodhi, BunsenLabs, Clonezilla, CrunchBang Linux, Debian Stable, Debian Unstable, Elementary OS, GoboLinux, KNOPPIX, Kubuntu, LinuxBBQ, Mandrake, Mandriva, MEPIS, Mint, openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, Siduction, Solus, SystemRescue, Tails, Ubuntu, VSIDO, Xubuntu, Zorin OS

Last edited by walkingstickfan (2021-10-02 19:23:39)

Arch Linux with Openbox & Tint2

#7141 2021-10-02 19:29:30

walkingstickfan

lw2006 wrote:

...and the satisfaction of configuring the os yourself is amazing

It can be frustrating sometimes, but you learn more by configuring the OS yourself.

#7142 2021-10-02 19:32:10

walkingstickfan

soneminu wrote:

I decided to challenge myself and went for Arch as my first distribution instead of Ubuntu, or some of the other popular distributions.

That's amazing and commendable. There's no way I could have ran Arch when I first started dabbling with Linux. It took me quite some time before I felt up to trying out Arch.

#7143 2021-10-05 05:03:12

Trikenstein

Hello Archers,

I used Linux at home since 12 years. All Ubuntu derivatives. My current job allows to use any OS. I used the company macbook pro for 3 years. Since 2021 I decided to switch to Linux. It's more natural for Cloud / Kubernetes / DevOps work. Currently using Ubuntu 20.04.3. The Linux flavor doesn't matter that much really. I spend 1/3 of my time on the terminal and the other apps I used are programming IDEs, browser, Zoom, Slack, Bitwarden, Nautilus. And that's it. All I need is a stable machine to do my job.

The idea of going for Arch is mostly to boost up the fun in Linux. Secondarily because of some little things I don't like in Ubuntu like snap or the future Gnome where I heard will not allow theming. Although it's not a show stopper, but trying out Arch + KDE is a good opportunity to learn and to discover new things. I am currently practicing Arch on VM using KVM. It was laborious but after a weekend I could install Arch OK. If everything goes well, I will migrate the home machines to Arch. And if I am convinced by Arch goodness, it will be the turn of the work machine.

I have a few old bad habits or lack of knowledge I need to dust off. So Arch forum seems like a good place to ask my newbies questions. Time has changed, the moto on the very first post of this forum seems not to apply anymore

ps. dont be afraid afraid to post. afterall everyone like noobs

My very first two questions in the forum were starkly answered by the moderator/admin to read the code of conduct. With a reminder that my style of question is not permitted. I have a few gold badges on StackOverflow so I think I didn't ask the kind of vague or irresponsible question. I read a few other posts in Arch forum, I didn't notice that they were particularly better than mine. Not sure why my posts attracted the attention of the admin in a bad way.

Maybe the Arch forum has a different mindset which I am not yet familiar with. But I would say that I am quite stiffed. This message could be my last before I got kicked out of the forum. I will still try to learn Arch on my own. I made a point to experience Arch sufficiently to make an informed decision. It is going to take more time. Especially I don't have a lot of spare time. But I suppose after a few iterations of trials and errors, I would probably get things sorted out OK.

Wish you guys the best, thanks the Arch community for creating this distro and all the docs.

#7144 2021-10-06 00:25:58

sczsne

hi everyone! ive only had dabbling experience with using ubuntu years ago on desktop and a vps for hosting games. wanted to know more abt computers and get a setup that's ~just right~ so i decided to jump in the deep end w/ an old thinkpad to try to learn arch. hopefully ill become a pro like the rest of you before i ask too many stupid questions c:

Last edited by sczsne (2021-10-06 00:26:37)

#7145 2021-10-06 03:14:41

zpg443

Trikenstein wrote:

Hello Archers,

I used Linux at home since 12 years. All Ubuntu derivatives. My current job allows to use any OS. I used the company macbook pro for 3 years. Since 2021 I decided to switch to Linux. It's more natural for Cloud / Kubernetes / DevOps work. Currently using Ubuntu 20.04.3. The Linux flavor doesn't matter that much really. I spend 1/3 of my time on the terminal and the other apps I used are programming IDEs, browser, Zoom, Slack, Bitwarden, Nautilus. And that's it. All I need is a stable machine to do my job.

The idea of going for Arch is mostly to boost up the fun in Linux. Secondarily because of some little things I don't like in Ubuntu like snap or the future Gnome where I heard will not allow theming. Although it's not a show stopper, but trying out Arch + KDE is a good opportunity to learn and to discover new things. I am currently practicing Arch on VM using KVM. It was laborious but after a weekend I could install Arch OK. If everything goes well, I will migrate the home machines to Arch. And if I am convinced by Arch goodness, it will be the turn of the work machine.

I have a few old bad habits or lack of knowledge I need to dust off. So Arch forum seems like a good place to ask my newbies questions. Time has changed, the moto on the very first post of this forum seems not to apply anymore

ps. dont be afraid afraid to post. afterall everyone like noobs

My very first two questions in the forum were starkly answered by the moderator/admin to read the code of conduct. With a reminder that my style of question is not permitted. I have a few gold badges on StackOverflow so I think I didn't ask the kind of vague or irresponsible question. I read a few other posts in Arch forum, I didn't notice that they were particularly better than mine. Not sure why my posts attracted the attention of the admin in a bad way.

Maybe the Arch forum has a different mindset which I am not yet familiar with. But I would say that I am quite stiffed. This message could be my last before I got kicked out of the forum. I will still try to learn Arch on my own. I made a point to experience Arch sufficiently to make an informed decision. It is going to take more time. Especially I don't have a lot of spare time. But I suppose after a few iterations of trials and errors, I would probably get things sorted out OK.

Wish you guys the best, thanks the Arch community for creating this distro and all the docs.

Reading through your posts, I did not find any rude responses. Please consider that Arch users on this forum are volunteering their time to help and they do expect you to do work as well. Read the wiki and limit posts to specific questions as much as possible. Reading your posts...you posted several questions at once, for general advice about partitioning and layout. One user pointed you to a Newbie rules post which had multiple wiki links (helpful), and another one did provide a helpful general guidance type answer. I wish you well with your Arch journey!

Last edited by zpg443 (2021-10-06 03:21:50)

#7146 2021-10-06 05:12:41

WESTERN

Hello, I'm new to Arch. I've played around with Linux in the past, but only made the full switch to Ubuntu this year. It felt too bloated and then I found Arch and love it! I appreciate the do-the-work-yourself-also-if-you-want-my-time-and-effort type attitude of the Arch community. I'm looking forward to expanding my own skills with this and contributing down the line as I increase in my Arch Linux proficiency.

#7147 2021-10-12 09:13:23

sbooder

Hi all,
            yes, another n00b!   An Englishman living in France.  I have been messing with Linux since I first installed Ubuntu 6. something.  But went totally Linux about 4 months ago, ditching Windows altogether.

Mint is my daily driver and I have Kali for my course work (pen testing courses on Udemy).  I had a second laptop come my way, a bit old, but thought I would finally try Arch LXQt.  Liking it so far.  I do however have my first question lined up for the correct section.

Simon.

#7148 2021-10-16 19:40:00

Regnis

I have been playing with Arch for couple of hours and my conclusion so far. "You people (Arch users) are sick in the head. I am glad i am planning to join the club".

No newbie to Linux (since 2008), but Ubuntu and all kind of flavors did the job so far. However things more often are getting on my nerves(bloatware, delete 1 package and suddenly the whole DE also needs also to be removed because that package by Canonical is tied to all the rest =_=!, outdated packages super hard to update easily without compiling it yourself every time or use flatpaks/snaps (more redundancy).

Don't get me wrong no hate against Ubuntu, because they are still our cousins. However glad Arch exists for the mentally insane people like me.

#7149 2021-10-17 17:35:16

Schala
Website

So I returned to Arch Linux after 5 years. I left after needing some help back then with the then-experimental UEFI installation, but some big issues compelled me to go Windows only for a while. Fast forward to a few months ago, and I'm informed that the Arch project had improved a good deal. That was good enough for me to come back. Sure, it's a system and I could've probably eventually figure it out myself, but I was so... "done" back then, that I just up and left. Yeah, not orphaning my AUR packages was a bit of a jerk move, and I apologise for that. I was just... not in a good mood for a while after that.

Here's to hoping the community is better than ever and I want to personally congratulate the new Arch team lead.

Last edited by Schala (2021-10-17 18:37:13)

Hardware: Gigabyte X570 AORUS Pro, AMD Ryzen 5900X, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32 GB DDR4 RAM
Choice software: Arch Linux 64-bit with KDE desktop / Windows 11 Home 64-bit

#7150 2021-10-17 17:38:08

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

You know your post history is visible to everyone, right?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer