You are not logged in.

#26 2021-08-27 14:41:39

Zibi1981

Re: Cannot access NAS through Samba although FTP working

This is very strange - the same issue seems to be affecting my wife's MacBook and my iPad, but it doesn't my laptop running Windows 10. Seems like UNIX-wide bug?

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed."

MSI Raider GE78HX 13VI-032PL

#27 2021-08-27 14:46:23

seth

Unlikely.
Did you try to enforce "NT1"?

#28 2021-08-27 18:32:10

Zibi1981

When I have

#======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]

client min protocol = NT1

in /etc/samba/smb.conf - nothing changes. It won't let me login.

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed."

#29 2021-08-29 07:50:51

Zibi1981

It seems my iPad issue with accessing NAS was related to VPN service purely (ExpressVPN) - when disconnected, the problem dissapeared. It is not the case on Arch however, as uninstalling ExpressVPN didn't solve this.

#30 2021-09-17 06:16:13

Zibi1981

After recent Samba update the problem still persists. Should I try a different, other than Dolphin file manager supporting NAS access?

#31 2021-09-17 07:44:06

kokoko3k

I think there is some misunderstanding (maybe on my side!)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Samba# … tion_abort

Specifying client min protocol = CORE in global section of /etc/samba/smb.conf is required if you want to run a server.

Also:

Zibi1981 wrote:

Yeah, I noticed that, but I think I already tried accessing my HDD/NAS with this version of SMB protocol before (via Dolphin), and the result was the same.

How did you do that in dolphin, are you sure?

I'm having no problems accessing old shares on an old XP(!) machine, by mounting it with vers=1.0, so i suggest you to try, explicitely as root::

LC_ALL=C mount -t cifs //10.31.1.1/NAS /mnt/NAS -o vers=1.0,username=(xxx),password=(yyy),workgroup=workgroup,iocharset=utf8

from man mount.cifs, you can try other protocol versions too: 2.0,2.1,3.0,3.02,3.1.1,3

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#32 2021-09-17 08:37:40

Zibi1981

I added client min protocol = CORE in global section of /etc/samba/smb.conf but that didn't change anything - I cannot access my NAS in my LAN via Dolphin. When trying to use your command I get an error, something like bash: syntax error with unexpected tag `('

#33 2021-09-17 10:14:06

kokoko3k

Man, we're trying to help, but this seems to be a joke:

kokoko3k wrote:

LC_ALL=C mount -t cifs //10.31.1.1/NAS /mnt/NAS -o vers=1.0,username=(xxx),password=(yyy),workgroup=workgroup,iocharset=utf8

Zibi1981 wrote:

When trying to use your command I get an error, something like bash: syntax error with unexpected tag `('

...but this is not *my* command, this is a copy-paste of *your* command with vers option added, obviously, you need to fill the fields.

Zibi1981 wrote:
# LC_ALL=C mount -t cifs //10.31.1.1/NAS /mnt/NAS -o username=(xxx),password=(yyy),workgroup=workgroup,iocharset=utf8
mount error: Server abruptly closed the connection.
This can happen if the server does not support the SMB version you are trying to use.
The default SMB version recently changed from SMB1 to SMB2.1 and above. Try mounting with vers=1.0.
mount error(112): Host is down
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)

Last edited by kokoko3k (2021-09-17 10:32:49)

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#34 2021-09-17 12:21:36

seth

Specifying client min protocol = CORE in global section of /etc/samba/smb.conf is required if you want to run a server.

man 5 smb.conf wrote:

client min protocol (G)

This setting controls the minimum protocol version that the client will attempt to
           use.

Normally this option should not be set as the automatic negotiation phase in the SMB
           protocol takes care of choosing the appropriate protocol unless you connect to a
           legacy SMB1-only server.

See Related command: client max protocol for a full list of available protocols.

IPC$ connections for DCERPC e.g. in winbindd, are handled by the client ipc min
           protocol option.

Note that most command line tools support --option='client min protocol=NT1', so it
           may not be required to enable SMB1 protocols globally in smb.conf.

Default: client min protocol = SMB2_02

Example: client min protocol = NT1

He's also running a server (NAS, some samba version) and that one is probably the actual problem here and by https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 7#p1984047 it's because of a "secure login" feature that makes the server disable anon login.

Because

The OP wrote:

Recently I cannot access my HDD attached to my router configured as a NAS-like service.

and because it's a semi-proprietary server and is suspect it's because of the increased default protocol.
We've been at

Try mounting with vers=1.0

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 1#p1984571 - apparently unsucessful either.

However, the blind copy-and-paste incident puts that into question tongue

#35 2021-09-19 07:26:09

Zibi1981

kokoko3k wrote:

Man, we're trying to help, but this seems to be a joke:

kokoko3k wrote:

Zibi1981 wrote:

When trying to use your command I get an error, something like bash: syntax error with unexpected tag `('

...but this is not *my* command, this is a copy-paste of *your* command with vers option added, obviously, you need to fill the fields.

Zibi1981 wrote:
# LC_ALL=C mount -t cifs //10.31.1.1/NAS /mnt/NAS -o username=(xxx),password=(yyy),workgroup=workgroup,iocharset=utf8
mount error: Server abruptly closed the connection.
This can happen if the server does not support the SMB version you are trying to use.
The default SMB version recently changed from SMB1 to SMB2.1 and above. Try mounting with vers=1.0.
mount error(112): Host is down
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)

I did fill them smile

Last edited by Zibi1981 (2021-09-19 07:26:19)

#36 2021-09-19 07:48:36

seth

Means you had a bogus "(" somewhere in your command what caused kokoko3k to suspect you literally typed sth. like "username=(xxx)" and in any event is the cause for the command to have failed.

#37 2021-09-29 09:12:17

Zibi1981

seth wrote:

Means you had a bogus "(" somewhere in your command what caused kokoko3k to suspect you literally typed sth. like "username=(xxx)" and in any event is the cause for the command to have failed.

Well, I didn't. I entered the proper credentials.

#38 2021-09-29 11:35:50

seth

Can you then please post the acual IO (ie. the command you enter/ed and the response)?

#39 2021-10-07 18:30:36

Zibi1981

seth wrote:

Can you then please post the acual IO (ie. the command you enter/ed and the response)?

The exact command would reveal to all public my credentials, so it's risky. The only difference was I replaced "xxx" with my username and "yyy" with my password.

When it comes to the exact response - I gave it in the post above.

#40 2021-10-07 19:05:04

seth

If the password contains special chars, eg. a "(" … you need to quote it (single 'quotes' are gonna be the most robust ones)

Board footer