You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-09 16:46:54

TheJaava

[SOLVED] microphone issues / pulseadio not starting

I am running xmonad and arch, but I have a zoom meeting tonight. My microphone doesn't seem to be working in zoom.
I followed this wiki page.
running pulseaudio -D gives me

E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup failed.

I also looked at this forum post, but it seems like this is a different issue. The fix didn't work for me.

Does anyone have any ideas? I could just use facetime instead tonight, but we would prefer zoom. And regardless I will need zoom at some point this semester and I will need a working microphone for one of my classes. I have just never set up a microphone before.

Last edited by TheJaava (2021-09-09 16:53:28)

#2 2021-09-09 16:53:04

TheJaava

Re: [SOLVED] microphone issues / pulseadio not starting

issue fixed. I was looking through the /etc/pulse/default.pa file I edited and the line

.ifexists module-udev-detect.so

that the wiki said to add was already in the file. When I removed the line I added, it fixed the issue. I don't know if my microphone is working now, but I think I can follow the wiki from here.

#3 2021-09-10 14:55:37

pintert3

Did it work? Cause I don't think that would have changed much, as mine was unedited and still has this issue

Things are never what they seem...

#4 2021-09-10 15:00:22

V1del
Forum Moderator

This thread is marked as [SOLVED] I suggest you open a new one with a full log of "still has this issue". Note that there's normally no need to start pulseaudio manually yourself as it will be invoked via a user service when you log in. Note that if you use minimal tools like xmonad and startx/xinitrc it is paramount that your .xinitrc follows the proper template that is described in https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xinit#xinitrc

Board footer