You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-09 17:07:01

skrat

NordVPN cli wrecking network

I'm using nordvpn-bin AUR package to connect to VPN. I'm using the "NordLynx" technology setting, which uses wireguard under the hood.

Sometimes after I come back from AFK time, or when the network changes, the nordvpnd and cli tool will leave the network in a messy state.

I can't use the cli to disconnect (it will get stuck). So what I do is that I kill the stuck cli, kill the daemon (systemctl stop will get stuck too), and then

try something to restore the network such as restart NetworkManager, or ip link set xxx down/up, but this never works and I don't get working

network until I reboot.

So, given how the crappy the nordvpn tools are, how can I "restore" the networking to the same state as it is after a fresh boot?

Thank you

#2 2021-10-09 17:24:29

Morta

Re: NordVPN cli wrecking network

You can use the opensource wireguard client with the nordvpn config? Should be more stable!

Last edited by Morta (2021-10-09 17:38:23)

#3 2021-10-09 19:49:23

seth

A remaining problem after resetting the connection/route might be iptables.

Sanity check: do you have a static hostname?

hostnamectl

Also check your system journal for errors when "the network got messy" and "cli/daemon got stuck"

#4 2021-10-09 20:06:28

progandy

Morta wrote:

You can use the opensource wireguard client with the nordvpn config? Should be more stable!

There is an AUR package called wgnord to generate and start/stop wg-quick profiles for nordvpn.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#5 2021-10-09 20:31:20

Morta

progandy wrote:
Morta wrote:

There is an AUR package called wgnord to generate and start/stop wg-quick profiles for nordvpn.

Ok i didn‘t know but we are honestly nordvpn isn‘t a really a privacy feature or a unlocking tool. I recommend perfect-privacy.com

Last edited by Morta (2021-10-09 20:31:47)

#6 2021-10-15 03:15:12

RieTatsumaki

I am not sure if I have the exact same problem, but my network seems to hang consistently (at least 6 times a week). I am not running a server, but I remote work so my computer is up all day, so my frequency might not be as much as casual use, but for my use, it is pretty darn annoying. After tinkering some time ago, I found a fix that works, at least for me. Hopefully this helps.

I have it set in my .bashrc as a one liner with ';' operators but splitting it up for ease of reading. I don't know why it works but it does. Takes about 2 minutes.

alias fixNETWORKING=
nordvpn set killswitch 0
nordvpn set killswitch 1
nmcli radio wifi off
sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager
sudo systemctl restart nordvpnd
nmcli radio wifi on
$vpnON

I really wish I could find out if it is something specific with Nord, as my subscription ends in January and if this continues I am thinking of just switching. They used to have a great GUI for Windows and CLI for Linux, but whatever they did internally when they switched to a browser login for Windows really screwed the platform.

It seems to be a problem with either cybersec (DNS routing issue), nordlynx, or both specifically, because if I try to turn the vpn connection off, I lose all non-vpn internet traffic, even when disengaging the killswitch. I fixed that with:

alias vpnOFF=
nordvpn set killswitch 0
nordvpn disconnect
nordvpn set cybersec 0
nordvpn set technology openvpn

Which works every time. If you like cybersec and nordlynx, just configure an alias to turn those on when you activate Nord.

Board footer