You are not logged in.

#51 2005-03-28 19:49:29

DarkPath

Re: What desktop environment do you use?

I'm using Gnome at the moment, though I'm looking into using something lighter... particularly using Openbox as the wm, but I'm looking for things to handle everything else (background, maybe a dockapp, etc). Rox seems interesting, but I since I don't see any official Arch packages of anything but Rox-Filer (which, actually, doesn't seem as clean as Nautilus... and I like Nautilus wink) I haven't gone through and grabbed the PKGBUILDs for the other Rox pieces from the forums yet.

phrakture wrote:

heh, if you really want to start "using" your PC, why are you using the mouse? check out ion or wmi (wmii)

Out of curiosity, why don't you use the mouse? Are you just used to the keyboard? I know that on Linux I'm used to doing various things in the console/prompt, but since I've used Windows for most of my time with computers (been using Linux, non-exclusively, for the past couple years... really got into it all since I found Arch big_smile) I'm used to doing other things with the mouse in a graphical environment. A great example of this would be wireless configuration... I'm very used to doing this all in a GUI app like in Windows, but I've yet to find something really viable for this on Linux (if anyone could point me in the right direction on this one, many thanks! wink). Again, I'm just curious as to why you push the keyboard so much when the mouse is also a viable option?

#52 2005-03-28 19:52:22

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Personally, I can't hit a target with a mouse unless it takes up more than a third of the screen... its ok for changing windows, but trying to hit textboxes and those bloody tiny window decorations is ridiculous...

No, seriously, I find that the fewer times I move my hand from my home row to the mouse pad, the more efficient I am working. The only noteable exception is GIMP. Well Ensmer too...

Dusty

#53 2005-03-28 20:06:52

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

DarkPath wrote:

Out of curiosity, why don't you use the mouse? Are you just used to the keyboard? I know that on Linux I'm used to doing various things in the console/prompt, but since I've used Windows for most of my time with computers (been using Linux, non-exclusively, for the past couple years... really got into it all since I found Arch big_smile) I'm used to doing other things with the mouse in a graphical environment. A great example of this would be wireless configuration... I'm very used to doing this all in a GUI app like in Windows, but I've yet to find something really viable for this on Linux (if anyone could point me in the right direction on this one, many thanks! wink). Again, I'm just curious as to why you push the keyboard so much when the mouse is also a viable option?

think about it this way: which is faster, typing a word, or clicking an on-screen keyboard to type the word.  while both can be done, it's much more efficient to type the word.
now, let's extend this a bit.  The mouse has, what, like 10 max "operations" - move, left click, right click, etc.  The keyboard has.... alot (I don't want to count).  When using the mouse you have (usually) 2-4 fingers on buttons.  When using the keyboard, you have 10, and alot more options, and can do combos (alt+ctrl+c).
Take all this combined and it's definately faster.  Now think about it this way: we'll do fluxbox using only mouse, and wmii using only keyboard to compare the operations:

the following examples will open a terminal, firefox, and xchat in a single tabbed frame and maximizes it:

fluxbox:
right click on desktop, find and click "xterm"
right click on desktop, find and click "firefox"
right click on desktop, find and click "xchat"
middle click drag "firefox" to "xterm" window
middle click drag "xchat" to "xterm" window
click maximize
wmii:
alt+x (start xterm, default keybindings)
alt+u (unlock frame, all clients added as tabs)
alt+e, type fir<enter> (execute, completes itself, fir is all that's needed for firefox)
alt+e, type xcha<enter>
alt+m (maximize)
alt+shift+u (lock fram again)

which one can you do faster?

another point to bring up is that I use a laptop 90% of the time.  touchpads are annoying, and keeping a mouse around (even my nice wireless one) is annoying... I lose it in couchs and things... also, sometimes you just have no where to really work with a mouse.

#54 2005-03-29 03:51:20

DarkPath

phrakture wrote:

think about it this way: ...

Ah, I see. I suppose it's really in how you like to do things. For me, to open up xterm, firefox, and xchat, I just click on each of their icons I created on the panel. Alternately, I could highlight all 3 of their icons on the desktop and just hit enter. Now, the difference in my approach is that I don't want/need them in one tabbed frame. I work with whatever programs I need open in one or sometimes more virtual desktops. Also, I'm not used to using hotkeys for all of my tasks... however, I do use some for several things. I should also admit that I've never really given an environment like ion or wmi a chance. wink

Anyway, I just thought it to be an interesting topic since I've seen a LOT of people on these boards swear by their keyboard-based window managers and the like. I think Dusty sparked my interest in the question when he mentioned some time ago that maybe one can't see the efficiency with a graphical environment and mouse because they've gotten used to doing it with the keyboard. I'm not saying one's better than the other because I've yet to go heavily into using my keyboard for everything. smile I can definatly empathise with you about the laptop though, that's what I use. The only reason I have a mouse all the time is because I don't really run Linux unless I'm back in my room at my desk... I haven't gotten my wireless working with my University's WAN yet. :?

To keep this relatively on-topic, I've tried out KDE, Gnome, and XFCE4 and have stuck with Gnome so far... however, it feels a bit too "heavy" which is why I've been looking into Openbox for a wm. However, I don't think Openbox itself is enough... any suggestions from things you all have tried/used?

#55 2005-03-29 04:06:29

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

DarkPath wrote:

I think Dusty sparked my interest in the question when he mentioned some time ago that maybe one can't see the efficiency with a graphical environment and mouse because they've gotten used to doing it with the keyboard.

I ran KDE for a few months after that, and could not make it work as efficiently as wmi/xterm. The only thing is this one program called onefinger (http://onefinger.sourceforge.net). That thing is a really efficient and intelligent file/program/object manager... But it still isn't as good as the keyboard for me, even after quite a bit of practice. I changed my whole mindset and everything, trying to really get "into" KDE... but I just ended up back in WMI, customizing it even more than ever. I believe this is as efficient as a desktop PC can be now, although a bigger monitor would be better. It took me a while to learn hotkeys and stuff, but now I do it so automatically... its like happening by itself! :-)

Dusty

#56 2005-03-29 04:08:40

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

DarkPath wrote:

However, I don't think Openbox itself is enough... any suggestions from things you all have tried/used?

Mr. Green always recomends openbox plus pypanel, whatever that is...

Dusty

#57 2005-03-29 04:08:41

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I think a desktop environment is highly subjective. What "fits" one person the best, might not "fit" another quite as well.

Same reason some people use vi, and some use EMACS.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#58 2005-03-29 04:55:52

DarkPath

cactus wrote:

I think a desktop environment is highly subjective. What "fits" one person the best, might not "fit" another quite as well.

Same reason some people use vi, and some use EMACS.

Ah, such is Linux! The freedom to choose! big_smile

#59 2006-10-09 07:38:59

shadowhand
Website

vicious wrote:

I wonder why so many people claim that xfce is lightweight. Maybe it uses less memory than GNOME (because of lacking features and less generic design), but it SO SLOW. Xffm takes over one second to start (even after it's in cache), whereas nautilus opens folders immediately. ***MORE FUD*** I just can't find any reason why people want to use XFCE.

You haven't used the Xfce 4.4 series have you? Try Thunar and the new plugins, I think you'll see why Xfce is so nice. smile

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#60 2006-10-09 07:39:51

shadowhand
Website

Dusty wrote:
DarkPath wrote:

However, I don't think Openbox itself is enough... any suggestions from things you all have tried/used?

Mr. Green always recomends openbox plus pypanel, whatever that is...

Openbox, visibility, and docker. 3 tiny things that give you everything you need for a desktop. smile

#61 2006-10-09 08:29:59

Kenetixx
Website

I now use openbox, pypanel and adesklets
i used to use gnome but swapped over because i could tongue

http://binaryritual.net

There is no spoon.......

#62 2006-10-09 08:37:16

Sigi

I switched from xfce to openbox, (feh,) pypanel and conky. I really like this combo, although I would prefer a visible pager in pypanel instead of just the name of the desktop.

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#63 2006-10-09 08:54:23

arox1

Switched from KDE to XFCE and it's great.
Simple, beautiful, fast - I don't even miss KDE  (I always was K-fan XD )

#64 2006-10-09 09:03:00

Sigi

arox1: You HAVE to try openbox if you're really looking for a fast desktop. ;-)
edit: small typo

#65 2006-10-09 09:11:38

arox1

Thougth about it... maybe someday   (I'm in love with XFCE now tongue  )

#66 2006-10-09 09:29:00

shadowhand
Website

Sigi wrote:

I switched from xfce to openbox, (feh,) pypanel and conky. I really like this combo, although I would prefer a visible pager in pypanel instead of just the name of the desktop.

Try visibility. It's on the aur... I too like to see all my desktops at once. smile

#67 2006-10-09 09:35:03

Sigi

shadowhand wrote:
Sigi wrote:

Try visibility. It's on the aur... I too like to see all my desktops at once. smile

I don't like visibility. I prefer the kind of pager where you are able to see "a smaller version of your desktops", like in enlightenment or xfce.

#68 2006-10-09 12:11:38

Deranger

I'm using Beryl on my main box and KDE on secondary box.

Code should be free and hardware should be cheap.

#69 2006-10-09 14:08:35

Echo

I recently changed to Openbox, pypanel and adesklets.

I like Gnome's weather applet for their panel and am looking for something along those lines. Adesklets weather app is good if it were about half the size.

#70 2006-10-09 14:33:35

rawfuzz

Voted other.. I'm using Gnome on FreeBSD & Openbox on LInux. Tho' last time I used linux, the console was my best friend.

#71 2006-10-09 17:08:44

liem
Website

I use dwm because it's light, fast, powerful and generally nice for a laptop (which I use exclusivly).

Most important it is simple, the config only contain the hotkeys, tagging rules, some small estetics and is complied in. This stops me from messing around with the config (a la wmii) and actually do some work.

Sebastian  A. Liem

Board footer