You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-13 12:35:18

Édes

[SOLVED]My wifi cuts out every 12-15ish minutes after uninstalling KDE

So today I uninstalled KDE and decided to switch to DWM, something I've been planning for a while and was already ready for. However my internet takes a good 30 seconds to start working when I log in but that is bareable, however ever since uninstalling KDE and switching my internet suddenly cuts out, I fix this by connecting back to my wifi through iwd. Anyone know a permanent fix to this? I can think of a temporary solution where I make a script that detects when I have no internet and through iwd types the commands to reconnect automatically. Although my programming knowledge is almost none existent so I'm not sure how can I do that.

I'm on kernel 5.15.2-arch1-1 and I'm using arch obviously.

Also It would automatically reconnect if I didnt use iwd but iwd makes it quicker. I'm also using NetworkManager

I checked systemctl status of NetworkManager.service when the internet cut out and it didn't say anything that would suggest there is something wrong.

Yeah, if anyone knows a fix, it would be much appreciated this is quite an annoying bug

Last edited by Édes (2021-11-13 22:23:57)

#2 2021-11-13 12:50:17

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED]My wifi cuts out every 12-15ish minutes after uninstalling KDE

You shouldn't mix networkmanagers. If you intend to use iwd directly disable and stop NetworkManager and use iwd exclusively. If you want to keep using networkmanager actually use networkmanager and disable iwd. Networkmanager has a commandline tool in nmcli/nmtui

Mixing networkmanagers that fight for the same interface is the primary cause for issues like these.

Last edited by V1del (2021-11-13 12:51:26)

#3 2021-11-13 16:09:50

seth

It's highly unlikely that the DE has impact on the network stability.

find /etc/systemd -type l -exec test -f {} \; -print | awk -F'/' '{ printf ("%-40s | %s\n", $(NF-0), $(NF-1)) }' | sort -f

Also post a complete system journal covering such connection losses ("sudo journalctl -b | curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io" for the current boot)

#4 2021-11-13 22:23:24

Édes

V1del wrote:

You shouldn't mix networkmanagers. If you intend to use iwd directly disable and stop NetworkManager and use iwd exclusively. If you want to keep using networkmanager actually use networkmanager and disable iwd. Networkmanager has a commandline tool in nmcli/nmtui

Mixing networkmanagers that fight for the same interface is the primary cause for issues like these.

yep this seems to have fixed the issue, I didn't know iwd was a network manager, instead just a way to cnnect to the internet, and further didn't know about nmcli and nmtui. Thank you very good sir

Board footer