You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-15 17:31:17

phollox

[SOLVED] Zoom (the video conference app) is not working correctly

The video conferencing app Zoom, installed directly from the AUR, used to work right. I use it frequently without issues. However, in one of my laptops, it stopped working.

It doesn't show any error on the console. No errors during build (reinstall). But the video streams are not right. I can't see my video, of from anyone else on the call. I can't see any shared screen. However, I can hear the audio.

I tested my webcam with `guvcview` and it seems fine. And apparently, everyone else can sees my camera. So it's a matter of zoom displaying the video. The camera stream also doesn't appear on the settings panel.

Any ideas?

EDIT:
TL;DR version

Zoom issue caused by mesa version not being updated, due to this issue https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1989489
Installed mesa-git from AUR and both issues are solved

Thanks community

Last edited by phollox (2021-11-17 15:49:15)

I divide by zero, multiple times per day. Also, I don't believe in tipping
Arch + i3wm (still learning)

#2 2021-11-15 21:56:52

seth

Re: [SOLVED] Zoom (the video conference app) is not working correctly

in one of my laptops

You might want to elaborate on that (hardware, dislay server, desktop environment…)

it stopped

And that (what changed before it "stopped")

I can't see my video, or from anyone else … everyone else can sees my camera

I believe that's called the Toobin mode… tongue
Sounds like an issue w/ video playback indeed - do other (online) videos (youtube, vimeo, dailymotion, …) work?
Do you firejail it?
Is this a lame excuse to not have to paricipate is stupid videocalls that degrade into mindless smalltalk after 5 minutes anyway?

#3 2021-11-15 23:05:36

phollox

Sorry for the scant details, I was typing in the failed laptop, right after presenting something, not knowing what they could see. The frustration was too much.

Video playback works fine. The camera preview app guvcview shows output.

Changes? Since the last time it properly worked (about 2-3 weeks), xorg was updated twice

Hardware: Lenovo Legion Y540, video server X11, DE i3wm + lxqt. I have an RTX GPU but is used only for computations, not video rendering (yeah, I'm boring)

#4 2021-11-16 02:57:12

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

This may not be that helpful, but I need to use zoom twice a week, and fought with the app (various builds of it) for what felt like forever - each different build had different problems, none of them worked suitably.  Then I gave up and went back to just using the website version and that's worked very well.

Within the past year the web version has been upgraded to support many of the features of the full app (gallery-view was the most important for me, and that's fully functional now in the web version).  The web version also supports screen sharing.  The only remaining lacking feature I'm aware of is that I'm not sure if it can mirror one's own video (i.e., horizontal flip of your view of yourself).

Have you tried the web version lately?  What is it missing for you?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2021-11-16 08:00:37

seth

Lenovo Legion Y540, video server X11, DE i3wm + lxqt. I have an RTX GPU but is used only for computations, not video rendering

Let's see the xorg log. If you're using xf86-video-intel, drop that.

#6 2021-11-17 11:32:26

phollox

Xorg.0.log content is here
http://ix.io/3FeQ 

I see it tries to load an intel module but fails. I have an intel audio module loaded on the kernel line (TBH forgot why I put it there)

Video playback works.

I have freeze mesa updates because they break Qt
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1989489

Might be related?

#7 2021-11-17 13:06:43

seth

Might be related?

Yes. Very much. Tank the "glitch", update mesa, see whether the video works again.

#8 2021-11-17 14:54:35

phollox

Ok, so I'm between a rock and a hard place

I upgraded Mesa and now Zoom video works. YAY!

But the video tearing glitch is still there, making the apps I use more often almost unusable. My Python IDE, my text editor, the terminal emulator, even my web browser. So I need to upgrade mesa, restart the xserver, connect to Zoom, finish the call, downgrade mesa, and restart X. Or I can switch to another DE that does not have this issue. The third option is using Wayland...

Last edited by phollox (2021-11-17 15:01:32)

#9 2021-11-17 14:57:07

V1del
Forum Moderator

As mentioned in that thread, the bug that allegedly fixes this was never backported to mesa 21.2 so another option might be to check behaviour with mesa-git.

If your GPU isn't too new you could also try to switch the used driver: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Intel_ … ver_(i965)

Last edited by V1del (2021-11-17 15:03:27)

#10 2021-11-17 15:06:47

phollox

V1del wrote:

another option might be to check behaviour with mesa-git.

Doing that right now. I'm testing on my work machine, which does not have a GPU a separate GPU, only the intel one

EDIT: built the mesa-git. The video glitch issues are gone. YAY!

Running mesa-git 22 development. I guess the fix to the glitch will be pushed into the main branch at some point in the future (hopefully 21.3)

Thanks for your help. Marking this thread as solved

Last edited by phollox (2021-11-17 15:45:20)

Board footer