You are not logged in.

#76 2021-10-01 07:20:16

teika
Website

Re: Easy shift / ctrl / AltGr / etc hack on xf86-input-evdev

@Salkay
Sorry I've forgotten, for a year!! Are you ok?

@Dear users
Having heard that emacs-28 will be Wayland compatible, I think I have to be serious about migration to Wayland.

This means I have to redo ahm for Wayland. (sigh)

Rant (Don't read it. It's a waste of time.): What's really disappointing is that it seems the keyboard configuration in Wayland is totally delegated to each compositor. The package "wlroots" abstracts many common parts for compistors (good), and (sigh) it relies on xkbcommon. Wow. EX KAY BEE. One of the worst components of X. (If not the entire X is  wrong.)

I already had the impression years ago that input would remain a mess in Wayland, even after a lot of improvement. I do not mean Wayland's developers are to blame, by any means. XKB is so fiendishly terrible that no one want to understand and fix it.

There're so many keyboards. (Believe me - how many languages do you speak, and how many writing systems are there?). It's a real nightmare. Still the kernel does manage to handle input devices, so I think if you designed it from the scratch, Wayland input could have been really simpler, and far better.

*But it's too late.*

The botoom line: We will (or are forced to) continue to live after the advent of Wayland. Good.

Take good cares. Don't forget to pray for those who deserve it. (Many Japanese MPs don't, but no incumbent died by covid-19. Damn!)

Easy Shift / Ctrl / AltGr ... hack; save your pinkies, type without drudgery.
YYYY-MM-DD, period. (Have you ever used the Internet?)

#77 2021-10-01 11:27:34

Salkay

@teika Hello! Good to hear from you. I'm going well enough I suppose. Are you okay?

A pity to hear about the Wayland issues, but I appreciate what you have done and are doing! Best of luck.

#78 2021-11-23 21:38:52

Salkay

Hi all,

X has recently started crashing every 2–20 minutes, with dix: invalid event type 0 in the xorg log. I tried troubleshooting, and I think it's related to the recent update of xorg-server and xorg-server-common to the unstable version 1.20.13-3 -> 21.1.1. The crash seems appears to occur when I click the mouse sometimes, so it's potentially related to input devices.

I tested uninstalling at-home-modifier and installing interception-dual-function-keys instead. This has prevented the crashes on two machines for me. dual-function-keys is quite new, only released 1.5 years ago, but so far it seems to be working very well!

#79 2021-11-24 02:00:20

tattsan
Website

I've updated xf86-input-evdev-ahm to 2.10.6-5, and the ahm works fine.

I did't know interception-dual-function-keys, I'll try it later!

#80 2021-11-24 02:23:10

Salkay

Thanks for reporting @tattsan. Huh, weird. I did try rebuilding ahm, but it didn't seem to help. Maybe it's something else with my system.

So far I haven't noticed any difference in everyday usage between dual-function-keys and ahm.

#81 2023-08-07 04:59:29

teika
Website

Hi. FYI: The wiki page Input remap utilities lists similar software"s".

I was just about to switch to interception-tools + dual-function-keys, then came across the above page.

# Count softwares; it'll be very convenient and natural.

Hope everyone is doing well. Cheers.

Last edited by teika (2023-08-07 05:06:09)

Easy Shift / Ctrl / AltGr ... hack; save your pinkies, type without drudgery.
YYYY-MM-DD, period. (Have you ever used the Internet?)

Board footer