You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-05 17:15:38

LB06

Easy sendmail drop-in replacement

Hello,

I'm having problems with sending mails from my laptop. It's because I connect with several different networks, and if I want to send mail with Evolution I can pick only one SMTP server. The problem is that, in order to send mail using my ISP's SMTP server, I have to be connected to that ISP (in other words, I have to be at home). And if I want to send mails from my university, I have to be on the University Campus.

So I thought I should be looking into sendmail, with which I can (to my best understanding) send mails using my laptop only. So is there a very simple sendmail replacement program that could handle my outgoing mails? I have no interest in a large MTA like Postfix. I don't want to do anything except sending mails.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 2006-09-05 17:27:39

TheDoctor
Website

Re: Easy sendmail drop-in replacement

Use a SSH proxy to send your mail from home.  Open up your home server to ssh, and use the -D option to connect to it.  Configure evolution to use a proxy for mail, and you can connect and send mail from anywhere in the world, with no hassle.

#3 2006-09-05 21:37:18

LB06

TheDoctor wrote:

Use a SSH proxy to send your mail from home.  Open up your home server to ssh, and use the -D option to connect to it.  Configure evolution to use a proxy for mail, and you can connect and send mail from anywhere in the world, with no hassle.

If I had a server, that would be a great solution. Unfortunately, I don't have one.

#4 2006-09-06 10:33:21

zen_guerrilla

Get a gmail account and then setup a simple sendmail-like prog (like ssmtp etc.) to use gmail as a relay for sendind e-mail with your regular e-mail address. Check this out for more information, https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-4 … gmail.html.

#5 2006-09-06 17:12:01

chrismortimore

Another option is not to use Evolution.  I assume you are using it because you have a gnome desktop, but you could try KMail.  It supports multiple sending "identities", in which you set your name, address, and more importantly SMTP server.  I get the same problem as you, and KMail solved it for me.

Desktop: AMD Athlon64 3800+ Venice Core, 2GB PC3200, 2x160GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10, 2x320GB WD Caviar RE, Nvidia 6600GT 256MB
Laptop: Intel Pentium M, 512MB PC2700, 60GB IBM TravelStar, Nvidia 5200Go 64MB

#6 2006-09-06 17:17:41

LB06

zen_guerrilla wrote:

Get a gmail account and then setup a simple sendmail-like prog (like ssmtp etc.) to use gmail as a relay for sendind e-mail with your regular e-mail address. Check this out for more information, https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-4 … gmail.html.

Woohoo! Thanks! Although I couldn't get ssmtp to work (evolution only looks for /usr/sbin/sendmail, and symlinking it from /usr/bin/sendmail segfaults), using smtp.gmail.com directly works like a charm.

#7 2006-10-12 18:33:19

burra

Hi,
trying to get ssmtp to work but with no luck. Trying to get it to connect to my gmail account.

have replaced the original email address with myname

my ssmtp.conf

root=myname@gmail.com
mailhub=smtp.gmail.com:587
rewriteDomain=
hostname=myname@gmail.com
FromLineOverride=YES
UseSTARTTLS=YES
AuthUser=myname@gmail.com
AuthPass=XXXXXXXXXXXX

my  revaliases

root:myname@gmail.com:smtp.gmail.com:587
mainuser:myname@gmail.com:smtp.gmail.com:587

When testing

mail -v -s "hello" myname@gmail.com
test
EOT
[<220>] EHLO myname@gmail.com
[<250>] STARTTLS
[<220>] EHLO myname@gmail.com
[<-] 250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES

Then no more happens. No mail gets delivered

Have tested with thunderbird to set up smtp.gmail.com and it works fine

Any suggestions what the problem can be?
My clue is that the md5 is failing somehow

//Bertil

#8 2006-10-13 01:17:38

xterminus

LB06 wrote:

Hello,

I'm having problems with sending mails from my laptop. It's because I connect with several different networks, and if I want to send mail with Evolution I can pick only one SMTP server. The problem is that, in order to send mail using my ISP's SMTP server, I have to be connected to that ISP (in other words, I have to be at home). And if I want to send mails from my university, I have to be on the University Campus.

So I thought I should be looking into sendmail, with which I can (to my best understanding) send mails using my laptop only. So is there a very simple sendmail replacement program that could handle my outgoing mails? I have no interest in a large MTA like Postfix. I don't want to do anything except sending mails.

Any help would be appreciated.

If your using a different email address at each location, you could use something like esmtp.  The configuration isn't real tough - and it will quickly route your email to an isp based on your from header.

here is a sample config.

identity user@something.edu
    hostname smtp.something.edu
identity user@work.com
    hostname smtp.work.com
identity user@gmail.com
    hostname smtp.gmail.com:587
    username "user@gmail.com"
    password "password"
    starttls required

So if you write an email that uses your user@work.com, your email gets routed through smtp.work.com automatically.

You should be aware though, that if you use gmail.com as your smtp server - gmail rewrites your from header to username@gmail.com.  It will route any email you throw at it, with any from name you throw at it - but your emails will always show as being from username@gmail.com.  Just an annoying quirk I noticed.

Board footer