You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-02 21:24:37

omniscient_potato

Public wifi / captive portal not working when docker is enabled

Hey guys,

I just tried to open a captive portal to login to a public WiFi, but I could not get it to work.
I've tried all sorts of things, but in the end disabling docker and restarting my machine did the trick.
Does this sound familiar to any of you, and has somebody found a workaround, since I need docker to be running.

Thanks!

#2 2022-01-04 01:23:33

Koatao

Re: Public wifi / captive portal not working when docker is enabled

Hello,

I just tried to open a captive portal to login to a public WiFi

You mean opening a web page on a browser right? What is the exact error? What is the hostname of the captive portal server? Does the hostname resolve to the correct IP address?

Wild guess, could that be that a docker network you are running is overlapping with the ones over the WiFi?

Last edited by Koatao (2022-01-04 01:25:30)

#3 2022-01-11 11:53:28

omniscient_potato

Re: Public wifi / captive portal not working when docker is enabled

Thanks for the reply!

I tried to open the WIFI login page through different default router IPs, gateways, even tried to install some of the captive portal managers listed on AUR.
Unfortunately, while I could connect to the WIFI, I was never able to bring up the login page (captive portal) where one has to accept the terms and conditions.

I was on a train in Germany, where one usually connects through wifi.bahn.de, but is always said, that a connection could not be established. The IP 192.168.1.1 also resolved to this domain, so DNS lookup was probably not the problem.
I have a VPN running constantly, which I thought might have been the problem, but disabling or tunneling through didn't help either.

How do I find out, whether a docker network overlaps with an existing physical one?

Last edited by omniscient_potato (2022-01-11 11:55:34)

Board footer