You are not logged in.

#26 2022-01-23 18:24:59

matad0r

Re: Several problems with Lenovo Legion 5

I had the same brightness problem under 2060 RTX as well.

I've revisited the problem, I've installed Arch Linux and now everything works. I read that this issue was caused by some missing kernel constants in the kernel or in the nvidia driver itself, but who cares now! I'm happy that the fix is in, I hadn't had the time to contribute a fix to this myself besides my day job.

#27 2022-03-07 00:09:06

andyturfer

There's a good write-up about installing Arch on the Legion 5 (15ARH05H) here:

https://blog.syddel.uk/?p=523

#28 2022-04-12 21:44:52

insti

andyturfer wrote:
ankit wrote:

Any luck running hdmi display while in integrated mode from bios? I am detecting hdmi out but not being able to use it.

It's impossible to use the HDMI ports (or any video output ports) when the Nvidia GPU is powered down, because the video output ports are hard-wired to the Nvidia GPU. With optimus manager installed, you can use an external monitor when you switch to hybrid mode (with Switchable Graphics selected in the BIOS).

I have figured out how to completely power down the Nvidia GPU, which gives me an amazing 8 hours of battery life. The Ryzen 7 4800H throttles itself quite heavily while not plugged in, but this doesn't bother me as I'm not after high performance when on battery.

I'm using Optimus, but switching between the dGPU and iGPU is very cumbersome. This is possibly because  I was just "guessing" and trying different combinations to get it working (i.e. I wasn't really sure what I was doing).

This is my Optimus setup:

• Make sure the BIOS is set to Switchable Graphics

• Installed optimus-manager and optimus-maanger-qt (I'm using KDE)

• In the Optimus section:

• Set Switching Method to None

• Set PCI Reset to Function Level

• Tick the PCI Power Control checkbox.

• Tick the PCI Remove checkbox.

• Tick the Automatic Logout checkbox.

• Set Start-up Mode to Integrated.

When on idle, the laptop uses around 7W. During light usage (browser, terminal, watching videos), consumption is around 12W.

I can switch to Hybrid mode, and this enabled me to use an external monitor, but things are quite "juddery" (like animations or dragging windows aroud). I suspect this is because my external monitor is only a 60Hz monitor. But it works well enough when working in IDEs and watching YouTube videos. In hybrid mode, power consumption jumps  to around 12W idle, and around 17W light usage.

Unfortunately,  switching to Nvidia mode doesn't really work well (no idea why). If I want/need to switch to Nvidia mode, I have to go through the reverse process of everything above (i.e. I have to uninstall the optimus packages, then copy a valid xorg.conf file to /etc/X11, then reboot and go in to the BIOS, then set the graphics mode to Discrete Graphics. It's annoying I can't do this from the optimus manager, but as mentioned above, perhaps it's because I just haven't set it up correctly (but at least I have a way of doing it if/when I need to).

I have noticed that sometimes after rebooting (perhaps 1 in 20 reboots), then touchpad doesn't work, and sometimes the WiFi is turned off.

Regardless of the above issues, I'm still using the Legion 5 as my daily driver, and have been very satisfied with it. I have also become addicted to the smoothness of the 144Hz screen smile I seriously don't think I could go back to a 60Hz display.

I tried the exact same settings as you and every time I boot my machine it freezes to a black screen with a small white underscore without going into my display manager lmao.

#29 2022-04-13 09:48:34

insti

PSA to optimus-manager users:

Runtime D3 seems to be working now on my 4800H/1650Ti model when set to coarse mode.

In terms of battery drain I don't see a difference unfortunately...

#30 2023-09-10 00:46:53

andyturfer

I know this is an old post, but just thought I'd give a quick update (all these years later):

• Installation is a breeze - everything "just works" out of the box now (you still have to rfkill unblock all).

• Runtime D3 doesn't work (at least on my model with the 1660TI).

• envycontrol works great for switching between integrated, hybrid and nvidia GPU modes.

• Battery discharge rate is about 8W in "integrated GPU" mode when idle (just Konsole open, and running PowerTop).

• Can get around 7 hours of light use in "integrated GPU" mode with 80Whr battery (browsing, YouTube in Firefox, some light compiling etc...

• Video HW decoding doesn't seem to work in Chromium or Google Chrome, so battery drain is much faster if watching YouTube in Chrome.

• You need to be in "hybrid GPU" mode (or "Nvidia" GPU mode) if running an external monitor.

• There is no 60Hz mode on my model - the screen is always running at 144Hz.

I've really enjoyed using the Legion 5 gen 5 (AMD) for the last few years. If would be a perfect laptop if:

• Runtime D3 (RTD3) worked.

• If the USB-C could drive an external display without powering on the Nvidia GPU.

#31 2023-09-10 11:30:55

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Thanks for the contribution, but as you noted, this thread is old and the OP has not been back since February.

Closing.

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

Board footer