You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-25 20:48:40

Tharbad

Arch as a gitlab production server on cloud and pacnew

Hi,

I'm thinking about using arch as a gitlab server in a production env.
I have few questions:
1) How do I take care of pacnew files. All the interactive diff viewers I know are graphic. I guess I can use 2 terminal (1 to edit and 1 to view changes) but maybe you have something better?
2) Any tips for managing Arch in a production env? I'm using Arch on my desktop since 2016 but only managed debian and redhat servers so far.
3) Anything I need to know about gitlab ce on Arch?

The cloud in question in Azure.

Thanks

#2 2022-01-25 20:54:28

progandy

Re: Arch as a gitlab production server on cloud and pacnew

For 1) there is vimdiff (part of vim), sdiff (in -o mode, part of diffutils) and mcdiff (part of midnight commander)
Edit: And don't forget pacdiff (pacman-contrib) to search for pacnew files.

Last edited by progandy (2022-01-25 20:57:20)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#3 2022-01-25 21:55:50

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

For 2) there isn't much specific to arch.  What's good / bad practice on a server is pretty much the same across distros.  What differs is primarily the specific command used to install packages.  Once they're installed, they work the same way* (not withstanding differences due to arch generally having newer versions).  There has been a history of some people suggesting that arch is not suitable for production servers - but I've never seen any good basis for this view.  In contrast could offer my own reasons why it is very well suited for such use so long as you know what you are doing with arch.  Someone only familiar with RHEL servers trying to run an arch server would probably be a bad idea; but no worse than me trying to run an RHEL server.

EDIT: *I suppose there may be difference in the default "out of the box" configs shipped with packages.  It's possible that a server-oriented distro would ship with configs fairly well suited to that use already.  But frankly, if you are trusting the defaults for server software and not familiarizing yourself with what is actually in the configs, then you are really asking for trouble regardless of the distro you are running.

Last edited by Trilby (2022-01-25 21:57:47)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2022-01-26 22:10:06

Tharbad

Trilby wrote:

For 2) there isn't much specific to arch.  What's good / bad practice on a server is pretty much the same across distros.  What differs is primarily the specific command used to install packages.  Once they're installed, they work the same way* (not withstanding differences due to arch generally having newer versions).  There has been a history of some people suggesting that arch is not suitable for production servers - but I've never seen any good basis for this view.  In contrast could offer my own reasons why it is very well suited for such use so long as you know what you are doing with arch.  Someone only familiar with RHEL servers trying to run an arch server would probably be a bad idea; but no worse than me trying to run an RHEL server.

EDIT: *I suppose there may be difference in the default "out of the box" configs shipped with packages.  It's possible that a server-oriented distro would ship with configs fairly well suited to that use already.  But frankly, if you are trusting the defaults for server software and not familiarizing yourself with what is actually in the configs, then you are really asking for trouble regardless of the distro you are running.

That's why I want Arch. I know it better than debian and RHEL. Thanks

#5 2022-01-26 22:11:35

Tharbad

progandy wrote:

For 1) there is vimdiff (part of vim), sdiff (in -o mode, part of diffutils) and mcdiff (part of midnight commander)
Edit: And don't forget pacdiff (pacman-contrib) to search for pacnew files.

Will check. Thanks!

Board footer