You are not logged in.

#7226 2022-01-17 04:57:35

edvard

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello.

I am a new user to Arch, and I must say that it's... different.  I was a longtime Debian user but curious about Arch because of the excellent documentation.  If you guys know your stuff, then I wanna be on that train...
The first thing I learned is that one philosophy behind installing Arch should probably be that an empty hard drive is nothing more than a broken OS, and an Arch ISO is the toolbox to fix it.  Seriously, every time I've ever had to fix a broken system I went through some of the exact same things I did in the process of installing Arch. 

Looking forward to learning more...

All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy

#7227 2022-01-17 23:01:45

stojshic

Hello there. I'm not exactly new to Arch, but I am new to the forum. Coming from Serbia, small town called Bela Crkva (White Church)... Been using linux for the last 2-3 years, and Arch for at least two thirds of that time. Really got used to it and love it

#7228 2022-01-18 10:22:34

IAteNoodles

Ever since I started eating Noodles, my life changed, join the WeAteNoodles cult.
I had been using Linux Mint for the past two, may be three years and recently shifted to Arch.
Tho, I did try to install arch before Linux Mint and that too with DB. Apparently I found "Wiki" too pro for me who just wanted to flex.

After spending at least a year I became familiar with terminals and recently wanted a minimalist setup which isn't behind the latest updates, which made me bump here again.

I installed Arch of a spare hdd and managed to install it thrice without an internet connection  and at last in my fourth attempt installed a working system.

Then I tried to install it on my ssd, erasing Mint and forgot to install networking softwares and had to chroot again.

After spending about one day I now own Arch Linux, but guess what I broke my laptop when I tried DB with Windows. Was too confident I would DB at first attempt.
I just now installed the grub on Arch again, with no grub on windows.

My streak of bricking laptop is at 37 I guess.

WeAteNoodles
Join the cult

#7229 2022-01-20 16:16:52

robinOP
Website

print("Hey everyone, it's Robin and i love Arch because it has a lot of futures in it, you can do whatever you want. Hopefully i can catch my goals in this way")

#7230 2022-01-21 03:32:28

Kenvarus

As someone who has installed windows... many many times, all it took was installing and setting up on an arch based distro once and I was in love. So sick of getting my stuff installed hopping pages in the web browser, and honestly with how many people are moving into linux in general now its not any harder to find and troubleshoot most problems than on windows. last two months i've genuinely enjoyed being on my computer for the first time in a couple years. glad to join the forum, looking forward to being told RTFM at least once or twice as i get my feet under me hehe.

▄︻̿┻̿═━一 kenvarus@ArchLinux ╾━╤デ╦︻
OS: Arch Linux x86_64       DE: Plasma 5.27.6      Shell: bash 5.1.16
Host: X570 AORUS PRO WIFI -CF      CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (12) @ 3.600GHz
Kernel: 6.3.9-arch1-1       GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Rev. A

#7231 2022-01-22 18:44:50

quiedoH

Hello

Come to read here frequently
Never posted
Today is different

Last edited by quiedoH (2022-01-22 18:58:11)

#7232 2022-01-26 05:26:05

tosaxi

Hello, today I think I'm totally into Arch for the last 3 days! I got so tired of trying to make sense of Ubuntu - so many processes going on! And I'm running it on VM yes! inside Windows )

Last edited by tosaxi (2022-01-26 05:27:23)

#7233 2022-01-26 16:59:19

ggumbo

Hello,

irc nick is gumbo been using linux off and on since the 90's i distro hop so im on something new every week it seems. (Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, Manjaro) arch has always been  my passion cause of pacman and yay. i hope arch will be my main distro going forward.

#7234 2022-01-29 06:45:01

itzco

Hello,
I've used other distros like Ubuntu, Mint and Manjaro(still on my laptop), and since I enjoyed manjaro quite a lot decided to try the true Arch experience.
I get the DIY style of pure Arch, but still can't tell if I like it or not, the convinience of having stuff already set up and working is nice, but the freedom of having only what you need or want and customizing to your liking is also quiete nice. Also allmost all obstacles can be overcome with a Google search, the wiki or searching the forums or reddit, been enjoying it so far every day I learn something, overcome a new challenge. First day was using systemd to get internet acces through ethernet. Second day was installing awesome and figuring out why it could not start (turns out i had not installed xterm and awesome could not start without it). Third day was getting to get the grub to detect my Windows 10 partition I had already installed on a different drive. Can´t wait for what tomorrow will bring.

#7235 2022-02-06 07:04:17

353fc443

printf("Hello World!");

#7236 2022-02-07 10:08:09

Lemanr

I'm BACK

So after about 1 year and 1 months I am MUCH more experienced with coding & Linux. Didn't even have trouble installing via arch wiki except for minor grub issue (long story short just had to redo partition table and carefully follow guide on fresh install of grub for uefi). Before this I was using Fedora for quite a few months. I had learned a lot from Gentoo as well but couldn't bare the compile times. Got a little deep into Emacs and now learning Common Lisp here & there (DE of choice is stumpwm).

Anyway, decided to go back to a distro I can always have full control over. Seriously considered Slackware 15 & Debian but overall Arch is more appealing. What made me leave Fedora was the idea that a distro like silverblue would possibly become their workstation standard Reference click and look under "What is the future of ..." The main issue I have with Silverblue was them defaulting to auto-updates. Reminds me of the Windows playbook on getting users to accept forced auto-updates. For example on Windows it was optional in the beginning, people got used to it then Windows took away the option to say no to auto updates.

Hopefully this time around I can help others in the Arch community rather than always 'needing' help. I really doubt I'll need much help at this point as I've become very good at problem solving on Linux.

Last edited by Lemanr (2022-02-07 10:29:52)

Warning recovering help-vampire: Do not feed me help (July, 8th 2020)
Fully Recovered help-vampire big_smile (at some point late 2021)
Linux journey (approximately) Ubuntu -> Arch -> Debian -> Manjaro -> NixOs -> (attempted: unresolved hardware issues) gnu guix -> Gentoo -> Fedora -> Arch (current)

#7237 2022-02-07 16:18:08

the_jest

Hello! Longtime Debian user, always found the Arch Wiki super-helpful, and finally decided to give Arch a try. After a slow ramp-up period, I'm now thrilled with how well everything works and how much control I have.

Have managed to avoid spamming the forums with stupid newbie questions, and now might start asking things I honestly can't figure out. Excited to be here!

#7238 2022-02-07 17:43:00

ms971

I still don't have Arch installed, and until this post, I had the project on the backburner. But now I am ready to try again, if you could be so kind to tell your long story on the GRUB issue?

Lemanr wrote:

...Didn't even have trouble installing via arch wiki except for minor grub issue (long story short just had to redo partition table and carefully follow guide on fresh install of grub for uefi).

I followed Archwiki and a dozen Youtube gurus and tried ext4 and btrfs (which I prefer) and I got the same result. What you may call as "minor GRUB issue". Each time I got to reboot after painstakingly building the system and getting no errors, I saw the dreaded No bootable device message and only the LiveUSB appeared as a bootable device. Of course I have UEFI with secure boot disabled. I even reset BIOS to defaults. But same thing. I even booted  in a Live session and deleted the GTP partition.

Anyway, long story short, I settled on Arcolinux, which strangely enough does not have this problem. In fact, I found Manjaro which also uses Calamares installer detected the bootable hard disk in BIOS. So did you have a similar problem, and how did you solve it?

I had learned a lot from Gentoo as well but couldn't bare the compile times.

That's what turned me off Gentoo as well.

Got a little deep into Emacs...

After watching Richard Stallman explain why he designed Emacs back in the days, I knew this has to be something important. So it's on my bucket list once I get vanilla Arch booting.

and now learning Common Lisp here & there (DE of choice is stumpwm).

First time I've heard of it. But I like how Stumpwm Github it starts out,"tired of flipping themes like channel surfing..." That's me already. So once I get this GRUB booting issue solved, I will certainly try a VM of it. Common Lisp looks to be above my pay grade though.

Anyway, decided to go back to a distro I can always have full control over. Seriously considered Slackware 15 & Debian but overall Arch is more appealing...The main issue I have with Silverblue was them defaulting to auto-updates. Reminds me of the Windows playbook on getting users to accept forced auto-updates.

That's exactly how I finished up on this aging Acer laptop. It was a Windows 10 and we had all the update settings turned off. The next thing we know it's been updated and Edge is baked into the OS--plus there is way to undo it. And we thought we bought the computer, Microsoft decided to take ownership, so we decided to get rid of them for life! We have nothing M$, not even Vscode.

Hopefully this time around I can help others in the Arch community rather than always 'needing' help. I really doubt I'll need much help at this point as I've become very good at problem solving on Linux.

Yep, I have been around in the computer field since Bill Gates started out. I have been giving back for the past decade. But in the meantime hopefully you can suggest something for me, since the Archwiki on GRUB did not help. I suspect this may be something to do with the InsydeH20 BIOS. I have tried to write this up as a new topic, but it is so intimidating when I don't even know where the log files are and what other relevant information to include them in the post, so that it will be ignored.

Welcome back to Arch.

Last edited by ms971 (2022-02-07 18:12:17)

#7239 2022-02-07 18:23:04

V1del
Forum Moderator

Please don't use this thread for actual support questions. Many people that would be able to help don't look here as they do not assume support questions to be made here.

There's no reason Arch can't or wouldn't work if Arco does, so it's likely a misconfiguration/missing step. If it's about getting GRUB to show up, post the command you used to install GRUB as well as your mainboard and the output of

lsblk -f

in the new thread.

#7240 2022-02-08 11:58:27

thelonius

Hello Everybody,

I am Thelonius from Dresden, Germany. I've used Arch for about a year now but joined the forum only now, because it arose a question to me.

As always when writing up a technical question, while doing so I'm in part answering it to myself and with every partial answer my question is becoming more and more complex.. - I will open a new thread...

Regards from Dresden, Thelonius

#7241 2022-02-09 07:59:54

neerkoli

Hello smile,

I've finally installed Arch on my main machine, thanks to DistroTube and LinuxScoop for their helpful and encouraging videos as a starting point. I'm not a real noob to Linux, I've tried dozens of Linux distros over the years, mostly just out of curiosity to see what's in them. So I'm not an expert either. There was a brief period when I sticked with Linux Mint for a year. But due to many reasons my main OS remained Windows all these years. I've always wanted to try the vanilla Arch and I started using it in a VM for over 2 weeks, just to make sure that this newfound love for Arch is not yet another distro-hop symptom. Now after using it for a week in my main machine, I can happily say that I'm really satisfied with it and I think I'll stick with it for a long time. I was able to setup all the software that I used in Windows (most importantly, work related ones) without much problem - be it OpenVpn client, Remmina (RDP), Skype, Anydesk. Also, arguably the second most important requirement for me - Steam and its games big_smile. Got everything working - from Intel and Nvidia drivers (Nvidia Optimus using Prime) and with some tweaks, I'm able to play Skyrim with exactly the same performance as I played in Windows.

All of this would not have been possible without this amazing community - the incredible wiki, the forums and AUR. I'm 16 years late to this forum, I just hope I stay as much you guys did. smile

#7242 2022-02-09 21:17:34

splatterman74

Hello to all.

New to Arch as well as the forum. Been an on-again/off-again Linux user since 2001 or so, SuSE 7.1 was my first distro. Bounced around distros after that, but ended up on Mandrake for awhile, then dropped Linux probably in 2008-ish until 2017 (was prepping for a coding boot-camp; never went to the bootcamp, but Linux itch stuck).

I've been running Ubuntu (recently with awesome wm) since then. It's fine for my needs, but wanted to try something different and build a system up my way. I had an old Dell laptop sitting around, so decided to use it for that purpose. I knew about Arch, which seemed a good fit for my purpose, so decided to give it a try. Going well so far, only had one hiccup during install which I was able to fix with the help of the Arch's excellent Wiki. I like that my new Arch install has less than half the number of processes, one third of the memory usage, and I can do all of the same things I do on my main laptop!

Anyhoo, looking forward to continued learning about Arch and building up my custom install.

Happy computing!

#7243 2022-02-09 21:51:15

Lemanr

Agreed with V1del.

If you want the best help this is what I'd do. Focus on reteaching yourself as you read the wiki. More specifically, don't let your years of experience allow you to assume. A LOT of my mistakes were because I had made a bad assumption. You may be a computer vet but you would also be an Arch beginner so focus on learning.

In regards to Arch install, don't assume it should work on your system, in general terms (I.E, if it's not x86_64 architecture then no guarantees or estimates on whether it should work.) As a Arch beginner and if you intend on asking for help, I'd suggest making detailed notes about each step you take, why you did said step (what was the expected result) and also detailed notes on each output. If it's a long output just add the parts you think are important and let others guide you on how to get them the rest of the info they need (you're not expected to magically know useful tips on troubleshooting).

Remember, in this next attempt don't take anything for granted. Read Arch wiki carefully especially on your first install and get into the habit of detailed reading when reading the arch. If there is a term used you don't know then you should track it down and learn it (going back to make no assumptions).

Anyway, do all this and post on a help thread, not here, if you need it. Good luck.

Warning recovering help-vampire: Do not feed me help (July, 8th 2020)
Fully Recovered help-vampire big_smile (at some point late 2021)
Linux journey (approximately) Ubuntu -> Arch -> Debian -> Manjaro -> NixOs -> (attempted: unresolved hardware issues) gnu guix -> Gentoo -> Fedora -> Arch (current)

#7244 2022-02-11 16:59:37

milanrs

Hello Everyone, I'm Milan From the Netherlands, and I finally installed Arch myself almost two weeks ago. I've used several distros in the past (Linux Mint ~> Pop!_OS ~> Manjaro) that were preconfigured, but configuring those to my own kinda sucked. Arch has been the first distro where I've actually had to delve often into /etc/ and beyond, without having to fight against the distributors' intentions, and it's been so much more fun. I installed this distro for the memes and stereotypes but stayed for the community and level of control. Anyway, I look forward to learning more about this OS. See you around! smile

#7245 2022-02-12 12:22:47

jorisdr

Hi all. After using Arch (at work and at home) for nearly 2 years I thought it would be time to say hi here. My Linux journey started 15 years ago and I mainly used Ubuntu before I started working in IT and a colleague recommended Arch Linux. Best advice ever. The level of control fits my needs and I learned a lot about Linux while using Arch. My colleague left to another company and after a while my employer forced everyone to use Windows so I started looking for another job. Got a job at the same company my Arch colleague went to and started this week. Best company ever for a lot of reasons, but also because we host an Arch Linux mirror!

Thanks to the maintainers for their great work. Already donated to Arch but looking forward to contribute in other ways. Keep up the good work!

#7246 2022-02-12 21:14:19

Lizzy_Mae

Hello All!

My name is Lizzy and I'm 17yrs old. Thank you to my younger brother and sister for my nik as they had a hard time trying to copy mom when she wanted my attention with Elizabeth Maria. I am a full-time sophomore at Purdue University with a full-time job, and definitely full-time no life. I have 2 dogs, a cat, enjoy nature, and a hobby of learning. I got off to a rather fast start and jumped over grades 6, 9, and 10.

I started distro hopping off and on a few years ago when I started using Wordpress and Drupal. Wordpress, click and go, no fun. Drupal, earn your sedative use early, it is a pain to accomplish, but worth the outcome. I enjoy CSS, PHP, YAML, NODE, etc., so why not my pc.

7-7-2021 it happened. No more Micro$hit Windumbs. Burned a couple ISOs and proceeded, failed, try again, finally got somewhat of a start. Arch Wiki installation is intuitive, as is this forum, failed with Wiki, had to find another install document to succeed. Only 2 programs I will miss immensely, Irfanview and Rainmeter.

I have 2 laptops, one for learning code, one for learning to stay broke. Both are AMD CPU/GPU with BTRFS file systems, Wireguard Pi-hole network, and I can remote access them.

* My coding laptop has Arch with Plasma-SDK (developer tools), none of KDE's nice bloat like Dolphin and Gwenview. Installed Qimgv, Celluloid, Leafpad, Notepadqq, Gimp, Netscape, Libre Office, PyRadio (terminal radio), Yay, Alacritty (backup Xterm), EFW, Grsync, Pipewire, PCManFM, LightDM, Librewolf (Default), Palemoon. PCManfm has no trash bin support, using a trash folder, over to usb and empty on other laptop. Both browsers were downloaded and install/update manually.

* My learning laptop is dual boot, Arch with same as above, gives me something to do between classes or on break at work, and a Debian distro with mostly same as Arch setup. Debian was the only stable canidate I found for my Davinci Resolve Studio.

Both laptops have custom Grub themes without using Grub Customizer, custom system and gtk theming, and I tore into the panels and widgets for complete transparency, not KDE frosty bs they launched not long ago, and the latest release of 5.24, just more bloat, just keep adding/copying chit features that is in Gnome, Windows, etc. I'm only using it for the QT developement, will eventually end up on Qtile or Awesome.

I am proud of myself for accomplishing the above, but I want to learn more.

No one criticize me for this, Arch linux is not my default. Neither is Debian, CentOS, Redhat, or Fedora. The Wikis and Forums are not for noobs. Yes very intuitive but nothing is acually in layman terms on how to do things the right way. It is a lot of work, trial and error. Don't give up and go back to the grim alternatives. My default is simply Linux.

Pastebin, would like to know how to use it, but haven't found out how. Their website has nothing, web searching has nothing as of yet, forum search is 165 pages of everybody who knows how

ewaller wrote:

The most straightforward way for me is wgetpaste:

ewaller@odin/home/ewaller[130] % ls -l | wgetpaste 
Your paste can be seen here: http://dpaste.com/FP47G4DFX
ewaller@odin/home/ewaller %

Created a list of my home directory

Or, if you want to go bare metal:

curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io < ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log

Success! Thank You

I don't know all the lingo, but I'm willing to learn if given a chance with a little help if needed. It took me a long time to finally register because I want to give this community the benifit of doubt there is civilized help available. In my opinion, I got lucky with my first thread post with someone willing to help. They answered my questions, pointed out my wrongs. With the minimum help, I still had to decypher Wiki (again and again before ever registering/posting) and links provided to some extent. I posted a draft of what I was going to do for evaluation, and proceded with success. I know that may not be the case if there is ever a next time. I will treat you the same way you treat me, civilized or back alley.

Thank You Matthew aka Head_on_a_Stick for your help and polite guidance. My cat gets the chicken bone, no leftovers for voodoo. (The (Everyone) Linux Help Guide)

Proud to be Micro$hit FREE,
Lizzy Mae

Last edited by Lizzy_Mae (2022-02-24 05:33:01)

Exercise your brain and learn something new everyday.

#7247 2022-02-12 21:49:53

ewaller
Administrator

Welcome to the forums, we look forward to interacting with you.

Lizzy_Mae wrote:

I have witnessed mods calling a noob a jackass for offering help, among many other disrespectful comments. Most will not offer legitimate help unless the user knows/gives indication they know the lingo and can offer up the requested logs.

I would appreciate a link to such an event.  If you prefer, you can send it to me directly, or you can report it using the report link on the thread.  I would hope that is not the entire story.

We don't care how much experience someone has; we do expect them to work with us to solve their problems, and expect them to apply themselves.

Pastebin, would like to know how to use it, but haven't found out how.

The most straightforward way for me is wgetpaste:

ewaller@odin/home/ewaller[130] % ls -l | wgetpaste 
Your paste can be seen here: http://dpaste.com/FP47G4DFX
ewaller@odin/home/ewaller %

Created a list of my home directory

Or, if you want to go bare metal:

curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io < ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log

Will post your Xorg log.

Try not to use pastebin itself.  It has a bit of a poor reputation here.   https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Genera … s_and_code

Edit: Typo

Last edited by ewaller (2022-02-12 23:22:28)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7248 2022-02-12 23:08:08

achilles9

Hello all

Achilles here I am a newbie to Arch Linux but experience Linux user.  I came from Slackware (still one of my favorite Linux distribution) but Arch will stay on my desktop as my main OS. It is the best alternative solution from Slackware for me. I am using Arch the last 6 months with lts kernel and I found it very stable and always up to date linux OS. Thank you

#7249 2022-02-12 23:50:40

ms971

There is so much great information in this thread and it's a great place to start, and see users' journeys to Arch--Archwiki is the icing on the cake, and IMHO, it's the most comprehensive Linux resource on  the web.
When I ran some Debian-based distros in the past, the search results kept leading to Archwiki.

Thank you to  the mod for not deleting my rambling support post to Lemanr, and for such a gracious response.

Anyway, back with the Arch adventure--the Arch way...

Last edited by ms971 (2022-02-13 01:02:27)

#7250 2022-02-13 01:52:11

ms971

Lizzy_Mae wrote:

I am proud of myself for accomplishing the above, but I want to learn more.

You should be Lizzy. Good progress for your age. I would not settle for ext4. It had to be btrfs with snapper Timeshift and Dejadup and loving it.

Proud to be Micro$hit FREE,

Same here

Board footer