You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-02 08:12:38

pessoa

[SOLVED] No video output after boot menu

Hello,

I'm trying to install Arch Linux on a old machine (E3 1260L) which seems only support BIOS mode for booting and VGA port for video output. I use a VGA to HDMI adapter cable to connect it with a 1080P monitor.

After the boot menu, there is following output on the bottom of the screen

Loading /arch/boot/x86_64/vmlinuz-linux... ok
Loading /arch/boot/x86_64/intel-ucode.img... ok
Loading /arch/boot/x86_64/amd-ucode... ok
Loading /arch/boot/x86_64/initramfs-linux.img...

Shortly after an "ok" appears at the end, the monitor becomes blank for few seconds and then it receives no signal.

The solution in [Solved] Installation, display receives no signal.  that pressing the Tab key in boot menu and adding "nomodeset" or "nomodeset i915.modeset=0" at the end didn't work.

I then tried using Ubuntu installation iso and the monitor said something like "unsupported non-standard resolution", which is also mentioned in that post. But I don't known how to fix it with Syslinux. And I'm not sure whether this is the reason.

Should I try to use Archiso to create an installation iso that uses grub for BIOS mode and setting the framebuffer resolution in grub? Or what else could I do?

Thanks in advance,

pessoa

Last edited by pessoa (2022-04-04 05:43:12)

#2 2022-04-02 15:59:38

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] No video output after boot menu

Do yo have a VGA monitor?   It sounds like the system is picking a resolution that the VGA to HDMI adapter does not like.  It may be possible to do they way you are trying, but it might be easier to set it with a different monitor then change to the adapter.  Many televisions these days still have VGA inputs.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2022-04-02 16:41:37

pessoa

ewaller wrote:

Do yo have a VGA monitor?   It sounds like the system is picking a resolution that the VGA to HDMI adapter does not like.  It may be possible to do they way you are trying, but it might be easier to set it with a different monitor then change to the adapter.  Many televisions these days still have VGA inputs.

I don't have a VGA monitor but can get another VGA to HDMI adapter.  I didn't realize that there might be limitation in the adapter and I will ask its customer service. Thank you.

#4 2022-04-04 05:56:31

pessoa

I used a modified installation image that can be accessed via SSH to install Arch and then "hwinfo --framebuffer" to show support resolution and editing "/etc/default/grub" to add resolutions that are supported by both system and monitor. It works. Now the system can boot with my monitor connected by VGA to HDMI adapter.

Last edited by pessoa (2022-04-04 05:57:06)

Board footer