You are not logged in.

#2326 2022-06-16 19:04:36

rep_movsd

Re: Laptops which run Arch

New laptop report

Intro

I recently upgraded from a Dell Precision M7710 to an M7760
My usual migration path is to copy the boot and root partitions onto the new system and it has always worked right out of the box.

I first installed Arch Linux on an M6500 in 2013 migrating to an M6700 in 2017 then I swapped that with my brothers M7710 in 2020, and now finally I gave him that back after getting the M7760.
I've NEVER had to reinstall, the same installation has been migrated across multiple harddisks (including mdraid RAID-0) and multiple laptops.

Only one minor issue happened during all this migrating - on the 7710, the screen brightness would default to nil when Plasma came up, it took some head scratching to detect that all that was needed was to raise it above 0 once and then it was fine.

The only mishap/failue that occured was in December 2021 when I forcefully powered off the system (while trying to get nvidia 4.70 to work) and my btrfs partition somehow corrupted. Trying tofix it I ended up borking my home directory for good. I restored from a full backup I had from October '21. 3 months lost, but most of my critical work stuff was on the cloud.

All this background is just a testament to how amazingly stable/fixable Arch Linux has been - Having used primarily Windows from 1998 until 2013, I cant even count the number of times I had to reinstall, repair or restore from backup, for various systems.

In case anyone has any 17" Precision with any issues, let me know, I may have a fix or some info.

Upgrade

The system came with Ubuntu preinstalled.

I did the usual - I rsync'd my older laptops root directory to an external drive. Since my /boot is on the EFI, I added that into /boot.

On the new system, I booted from a Linux Mint live USB drive, used gparted to make partitions for EFI and root. Then rsynced back and copied /boot stuff onto the EFI partition - it booted right away and all seemed well.

There were a few issues:

1) LCD Backlight keys did not have any effect - the /sys/class/acpi_backlight/brightness value did change, and KDE does show the brightness slider, but the brightness doesnt change. This laptop uses a WLED backlight. I am using xrandr to manually manage the brightness. Interestingly, on the Ubuntu install it worked - I don't know if it was using xrandr somehow. This needs to be investigated.

2) My previous M7710 laptop never worked with any kernel version > 5.12.9 and nvidia version > 465.x - the kernels would boot, but the display would go blank with Xorg log showing all 6 display outputs disconnected (check my earlier threads). On this one, the error was different, I got a kernel trap for the nvidia module with a message related to "ENDBR". seth told me it may be related to the ibt kernel setting. I made a clone installation to experiment with and tried the ibt=off kernel parameter. This worked and I was able to get the latest kernel and nvidia package working fine.

3) Hybrid graphics doesnt work - The BIOS says "Note: Hybrid graphics does not work on Linux" but I tried anyway. It gets to the point where X starts but that console freezes. Interestingly, the brightness keys work then. I think the acpi backlight control is supported on the Intel graphics controller. The Xorg log shows all output devices disconnected (familiar story!). There's not much use for hybrid graphics except powersaving, so not a big loss.

4) Display scaling - this was weird - probably my own fault when setting up the system first on the M7710 with a 4K UHD display. I had set the Display scaling to 200% (Like I generally did on Windows systems for high DPI). This worked but GTK apps always had some weirdness and I ended up using some GDK_SCALE and GDK_DPI_SCALE  settings that made some apps work correctly and others not. Today I figured out that you literally dont need to do anything - just leave the display at 100% and Plasma/QT apps automatically scale. Plasma also sets GDK_DPI_SCALE=2.75 automatically for GTK apps to scale - (17" 4kUHD screens have 264 dpi and 264/96 is 2.75)
Now all GTK apps like meld, gitk, gparted and so on scale fine, and so does Firefox (which was the biggest problem before)

---------------

The performance and usability has been just amazing on these M series 17" Precisions across all these years - all of the machines are still in decent working condition - even the 6300 from 2012 that I bought refurbished from the Dell outlet store is working as a Linux desktop system to date and shows no signs of hardware issues

Thanks to Dell (or is it the Linux kernel folks?) for making Linux relatively well supported on these machines - when you buy these, the support engineers also do not talk you down and dont complain that your OS environment is non standard - there is also no "Warranty void if opened" sticker anywhere - these systems are built to easily open and upgrade/repair.

#2327 2022-06-19 16:49:57

rep_movsd

Update
---------

Scaling is not as simple as it seems!

QT and Plasma scale perfectly without any changes except 200% display scaling, but GDK apps need some settings

The standard GDK_DPI_SCALE, and GDK_SCALE need to be set, BUT

1) Some apps seem to ignore GDK_DPI_SCALE, while others override GDK_SCALE with GDK_DPI_SCALE
2) The environment variables need to be session wide

After endless experimentation - this works for me

GDK_DPI_SCALE=1
GDK_SCALE=3

The following apps work fine with this + 200% display scaling: thunderbird, gitk, meld, gparted, firefox
Ideally I should use 2.75 since my DPI is 96*2.75, but 3 seems to look the right size to me.

This combo seems to satisfy both the ones that use GDK_SCALE alone as well as those that seem to multiply
Putting these vars in any of .bash_profile, .bashrc, .xinitrc won't work correctly. The vars will show up for the apps launced from terminals (which load bash), but not affect the apps launched from desktop shortcuts etc.

The correct way to add session wide env vars on KDE seems to be to put a shell script in $HOME/.config/plasma-workspace/env/ as per https://userbase.kde.org/Session_Environment_Variables

Finally it seems OK now

#2328 2022-06-20 14:15:57

rep_movsd

Update 2
------------

I spent a while trying to get PRIME to work
It seems to work out of the box and it solves the backlight issues

Install xf86-video-intel
Install nvidia-prime
delete the xorg.conf file

It will boot up with the Intel adapter as default and you can use prime-run to launch any app with the nVidia GPU

I tried this mode to see if Chrome video acceleration works better, but whatever I did, youtube videos wont accelerate on vaapi

So I decided to go for the source/sink mode with xrandr as per https://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/ … ndr14.html

Generate the xorg.conf file with nvidia-xconfig --prime and add

xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
xrandr --auto

This seems to work fine

#2329 2022-06-30 12:22:38

codynw42

Well im on a Dell Latitude 3590 or Vostro 3590 whatever its called. The  laptop calls itself a Vostro and says vostro on it but a vostro 3590 doesnt exist on the internet so i guess its technically a "Latitude". 4 core 8 thread 4.2ghz boost intel cpu with mesa uhd graphics. 24G RAM. 256G SSD. Havent had any problems with it yet and i got it for $100. pretty amazing deal if u ask me. This laptop running arch is faaaast for what it is. i love it.

Hello im new here and have been in the computer world for a couple years now teaching myself everything i can because i want to do something in the computer science field for the rest of my life. I recently decided it would be good for me to learn vanilla arch so I installed it ( the old school way smile ) and obtained my badge of Arch honor lol

#2330 2022-07-04 19:05:17

emmwee

Dell XPS13 9305, I installed two weeks ago when my 7-years old XPS13 9350 was on the verge of death (also on Arch Linux).
Everything works flawlessly out of the box except the fingerprint reader (as expected). I have not installed in a while (no need) but info on the wiki pages and the instructions are still awesome.

Only thing to fix/figure out is KDE/Konsole loading my ssh-keys.

-`                    michael@ieasu 
                  .o+`                   ------------- 
                 `ooo/                   OS: Arch Linux x86_64 
                `+oooo:                  Host: XPS 13 9305 
               `+oooooo:                 Kernel: 5.18.9-zen1-1-zen 
               -+oooooo+:                Uptime: 21 hours, 18 mins 
             `/:-:++oooo+:               Packages: 1284 (pacman) 
            `/++++/+++++++:              Shell: zsh 5.9 
           `/++++++++++++++:             Resolution: 3840x2160 
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           DE: Plasma 5.25.2 
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`          WM: KWin 
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         WM Theme: Breeze 
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        Theme: [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3] 
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.       Icons: Breeze Chameleon Dark [Plasma], Breeze Chameleon Dark [GTK2/3] 
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-       Terminal: konsole 
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-     Terminal Font: Inconsolata 14 
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:    CPU: 11th Gen Intel i7-1165G7 (8) @ 4.700GHz 
 `++:.                           `-/+/   GPU: Intel TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] 
 .`                                 `/   Memory: 5445MiB / 15728MiB 

#2331 2022-07-10 11:10:54

stefan_vgapass

Hi all!
Happy to say that Archlinux works perfectly on this Lenovo Thinkpad T480 with intel IGPU.
It has worked flawlessly (including suspend-then-hibernate)  from the beginning when I've purchased and installed it (2018).
The only thing that doesn't work and I've spent no time looking into it because I don't use it is the infrared camera ( or face recognition camera ).
Usually I upgrade the Archlinux installation on this laptop 3-4 times a year.
This laptop has support to update its firmware (read firmware for wifi card, UEFI/BIOS...)
- https://fwupd.org/
- https://fwupd.org/lvfs/search?value=ThinkPad+T480+
There is also a comprehensive article on the arch wiki about this laptop.
- https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Lenovo_ThinkPad_T480
Battery life is somewhere around 10-11 hours(tlp + powertop) depending on what you do with this laptop, with the internal battery + external slice 70Wh battery.
This battery life is achieved with 30 tabs opened in firefox, lots of terminal and spacemacs windows, 4-5 tabs opened in tor browser, smplayer playing youtube videos occasionally,  occasional element and signal opened, local music playing ocassionally (mpd and/or clementine)

Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.17.5-arch1-1
 Uptime: 14d 2h 14m
 Packages: 1766
 Shell: zsh 5.8.1
 Resolution: 2560x1440
 WM: i3
 GTK Theme: Arc-Dark [GTK2/3]
 Icon Theme: Paper
 Font: Cantarell 11
 Disk: 871G / 1.4T (65%)
 CPU: Intel Core i7-8550U @ 8x 1.8GHz [43.0°C]
 GPU: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 620 (rev 07)
 RAM: 10147MiB / 31995MiB

Last edited by stefan_vgapass (2022-07-11 19:40:27)

#2332 2022-08-07 04:33:23

jziebro

Hello everyone! This is my first post here. Just wanted to say after browsing through the Wiki and forums, that I have now successfully installed and configured Arch on my new Laptop! Just picked this bad boy up from Micro Center yesterday for the marked down price of $599. Everything is working excellently so far, including the wireless network card (comes with the Realtek RTL8852BE), after building the module form the github source.

-`                    john@pegasus 
                  .o+`                   -------------- 
                `+oooo:                  Host: Aspire A315-53 V2.03 
               `+oooooo:                 Kernel: 5.16.13-arch1-1 
               -+oooooo+:                Uptime: 15 mins 
             `/:-:++oooo+:               Packages: 75 (pacman)
            `/++++/+++++++:              Shell: bash 5.1.16 
           `/++++++++++++++:             Resolution: 1920x1080 
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           DE: KDE Plasma 5.25.4
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         WM Theme: Breeze
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        Theme: Breeze
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.       Icons: Breeze
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-       Terminal: konsole
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-     CPU: 12 x AMD Ryzen 5 5625U with Radeon Graphics 
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:    GPU: Integrated Radeon Graphics 
 `++:.                           `-/+/   Memory: 2.8 GB / 13.5 GB
 .`                                 `/

What a nice upgrade after my college Dell XP L502X back in 2011! Looking forward to getting everything else set up. I've learned so much just owning this laptop in the past day or so.

Last edited by jziebro (2022-08-07 04:34:20)

#2333 2022-08-09 04:22:23

Rtqate

Hi everyone! This is my first post here.
I've had this 17" Dell Inspiron 7786 2-in-1 for a few years now. Initially, it was working under Windows (and broke a few times, losing data, etc., due to this Optane module). Then I intalled Fedora, and had it for a couple years as the only OS, using the Optane disk as the SSD for bcache.  (I ended up swapping that for a proper Samsung SSD, but I liked the lessons - setting it all up, so forth.)   
After the two years of Fedora, I decided to give Arch a try, and... what a difference! The installation alone gave me a sense of accomplishment (I didn't use archinstall). I managed to set up everything (OS, bluetooth, LTS kernel, Gnome, mirrors, microcode, fstrim, the fingerprint scanner, and Plymouth (decided to remove the latter, though). The tablet mode and rotations are working too.
One thing that seems to emerge now and again is the screen not resuming from suspend (unless I close and reopen the lid). It doesn't reproduce consisently, the problem just comes and goes, so I may try to pinpoint it, and find a solution.
Otherwise, everything's been working well.   

----------------------------------

Host: Inspiron 7786
Kernel: 5.18.16-arch1-1
Uptime: 6 hours, 18 mins
Packages: 917 (pacman)
Shell: bash 5.1.16
Resolution: 1920x1080
DE: GNOME 42.3.1
WM: Mutter
WM Theme: Adwaita
Theme: HighContrastInverse [GTK2/3]
Icons: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
Terminal: gnome-terminal
CPU: Intel i7-8565U (8) @ 4.600GHz
GPU: Intel WhiskeyLake-U GT2 [UHD Grap
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX150
Memory: 3819MiB / 15669MiB

#2334 2022-08-12 01:51:43

thedude0

I'm currently setting up Arch on the HP Chromebook 14a, a Gemini Lake-based Chromebook (blooglet/octopus).

In my case, it carries an Intel Pentium Silver N5000 quad-core processor with a turbo of 2.70 GHz. It has 4GB of RAM and 64GB of eMMC storage. It includes a MicroSD slot, 2 USB-C ports (including DisplayPort alt mode) a single USB-A port and a combination headphone/microphone 3.5mm jack. The resolution of the 14 inch panel is a good 1920x1080, although color reproduction is poor. The device is fanless and has no mechanical hard-drive.

The processor performs similar to the Sandy Bridge i5-2520m dual-core from about a decade ago, although that might just be good enough for you. The graphic stack is much more modern though, and for the average user the only thing missing is hardware-accelerated AV1 decoding.

Much of it "just works", except audio, which seems to be a common problem among more recent Chromebooks.
I mainly use audio over Bluetooth, which does work, but not having properly working speakers can be a pain.

#2335 2022-08-14 02:52:08

PerfMonk

On an Asus VivoBook (AMD) with the new kernel 5.19 here today 2022-08-13

-`                    bt@batarch 
                  .o+`                   ---------- 
                `+oooo:                  Host: VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X513UA_M513UA 1.0 
               `+oooooo:                 Kernel: 5.19.1-zen1-1-zen 
               -+oooooo+:                Uptime: 5 mins 
             `/:-:++oooo+:               Packages: 1108 (pacman), 4 (flatpak) 
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           DE: Plasma 5.25.4 
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`          WM: kwin 
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         Theme: [Plasma], Sweet-mars-XFCE4 [GTK3] 
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        Icons: candy-icons [Plasma], candy-icons [GTK2/3] 
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.       Terminal: konsole 
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-       CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700U with Radeon Graphics (16) @ 1.800GHz 
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-     GPU: AMD ATI 03:00.0 Lucienne 
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:    Memory: 1961MiB / 15393MiB 
 `++:.                           `-/+/

Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X513UA_M513UA
    v: 1.0 serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X513UA v: 1.0 serial: <superuser required>
    UEFI: American Megatrends LLC. v: X513UA.305 date: 03/12/2021

Everything works well except the fingerprint reader (no tested yet with new kernel).

#2336 2022-08-14 09:09:40

boarim
Website

An old ThinkPad T400s that is still blazing fast thanks to a minimal Arch install.

-`                    remi@katana 
                  .o+`                   ----------- 
                `+oooo:                  Host: 2815W4Q ThinkPad T400s 
               `+oooooo:                 Kernel: Linux 5.19.1-arch2-1 
               -+oooooo+:                Uptime: 1m 
             `/:-:++oooo+:               Packages: 628 (pacman) 
           `/++++++++++++++:             Resolution: 1440x900 
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           WM: sway 
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`          Terminal: foot 
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P9600 (2) @ 2.5GHz 
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        GPU: Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset 
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.       Memory: 357MiB / 7594MiB (4%) 
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-       Disk (/dev/mapper/cryptroot): 44G / 117G (40%) 
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-     Locale: en_US.UTF-8 
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. — Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

#2337 2022-09-14 13:16:00

radumitrescu

Four years ago I was using Windows because that's all I knew - I had been using it all my adult life.

Now, I simply can't imagine using anything but Arch, or Arch-based distros.

-`                    radu@archlinux 
                `+oooo:                  Host: 82JM Legion 5 17ITH6H 
               `+oooooo:                 Kernel: 5.19.8-arch1-1 
               -+oooooo+:                Uptime: 2 hours, 43 mins 
             `/:-:++oooo+:               Packages: 1224 (pacman) 
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           DE: GNOME 42.4 
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`          WM: Mutter 
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         WM Theme: Adwaita 
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        Theme: adw-gtk3-dark [GTK2/3] 
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.       Icons: Papirus-Dark [GTK2/3] 
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-       Terminal: gnome-terminal 
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-     CPU: 11th Gen Intel i7-11800H (16) @ 4.600GHz 
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Mobile / Max-Q 
 `++:.                           `-/+/   Memory: 5245MiB / 15850MiB 

Romanian street photographer with a passion for vintage lenses, beer and linux. Somewhat of a nerd.

#2338 2022-09-20 12:03:37

eunichron

My ThinkPad A485's motherboard was starting to fail, so figured I was due for an upgrade. Found a good deal on an HP EliteBook 845 G9 and received it yesterday. Was worried the Qualcomm WiFi might have issues, but had no problems at all during install and first boot.

-`                    ####@####-###### 
                  .o+`                   ---------------- 
                `+oooo:                  Host: HP EliteBook 845 14 inch G9 Notebook PC 
               `+oooooo:                 Kernel: 5.19.9-arch1-1 
               -+oooooo+:                Uptime: 9 hours, 25 mins 
             `/:-:++oooo+:               Packages: 965 (pacman) 
           `/++++++++++++++:             Resolution: 1920x1200 
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           DE: Plasma 5.25.5 
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         Theme: [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3] 
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        Icons: [Plasma], breeze-dark [GTK2/3] 
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.       Terminal: konsole 
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-       CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 6850U with Radeon Graphics (16) @ 2.700GHz 
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-     GPU: AMD ATI Radeon 680M 
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:    Memory: 2896MiB / 31410MiB 

UPDATE:
If you buy one of these machines, DO NOT update to the 01.02.01 Rev.A system firmware from 19/08/2022. I updated my system and it is causing all sorts of non-recoverable USB and PCI bus errors. The factory BIOS that the system shipped with works 100% out of the box, but is not publicly available from HP. Either wait for a fix to the 01.02.01 BIOS, or stick with the factory firmware. There seems to be some conflicts with the latest firmware and the hp_wmi kernel module that is causing PCI bus errors with the Qualcomm WiFi card. I had to blacklist hp_wmi to get WiFi semi-functional again.

UPDATE 2:
The issue with HP firmware causing issues was patched in kernel as of 6.0.10. If you updated to the 01.02.01 Rev.A firmware, make sure you're running at least 6.0.10. The December installation image is the latest one that boots without issue on that firmware.

Last edited by eunichron (2022-12-22 12:58:37)

#2339 2022-11-21 23:23:15

Emoji

ThinkPad X220
It works well for both Ubuntu and Arch, and I am now running Arch on it.

#2340 2022-11-22 00:11:14

topcat01

Running a Precision 3571. Works well on both Arch (for my personal stuff) and Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (for work stuff). Solidly built no-nonsense laptop with a really nice keyboard. I have been running builds full tilt on it and the cooling system is actually capable of keeping sustained performance.

#2341 2022-11-23 09:45:27

pawelj

Zbook 15 G5 with Arch.
Experienced freezes shortly after wake-up. Fixed with "pcie_aspm=off" kernel parameter.

#2342 2022-11-24 05:49:31

sainishwanth

Asus Vivobook Gaming F571Gt-Hn1062T

Just the base laptop, never messed around with the internals (upgrades and stuff).

Arch installed perfectly well, no issues. No issues related to Networking or Bluetooth, etc. Gaming is fine too, most of my games run just as well as they did on windows.

#2343 2022-11-28 23:14:00

emgaron

-`                    emgaron@syncope 
                `+oooo:                  Host: HP x2 210 G2 
               `+oooooo:                 Kernel: 6.0.9-arch1-1 
               -+oooooo+:                Uptime: 23 mins 
             `/:-:++oooo+:               Packages: 1099 (pacman) 
           `/++++++++++++++:             Resolution: 1280x800 
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           Terminal: /dev/pts/1 
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`          CPU: Intel Atom x5-Z8350 (4) @ 1.920GHz 
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         GPU: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx 
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        Memory: 1343MiB / 3823MiB 
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-                               
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-                             
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:

After having used the HP Pavilion X2 10 I had bought this spring for two concert projects the lack of RAM began to bug me, so I started looking around for a similar convertible with more RAM. I managed to find an affordable HP X2 210 G2, which from the outside is basically the same machine except for having a rear camera as well.

Biggest differences:

• Atom x5-Z8350 @ 1.920GHz instead of Atom x5-Z8300 @ 1.840GHz

• 4GB RAM instead of 2GB

• 64GB eMCC instead of 32GB

• No built-in HD in the keyboard

• Needs a proper USB-C power supply (the X2 10 can be charged with a simple USB-C charger)

Overall, the X2 210 G2 runs a lot smoother under GNOME than the Pavilion X2 10. Only remaining problem at the moment is suspend - the machine suspends, but seems to randomly wake up again, and so far, I was unsuccessful in finding the exact cause. Everything else is working, even the front camera (rear camera does not), which I could not get to work on the Pavilion X2 10. So, overall a worthwhile upgrade!

Last edited by emgaron (2022-11-28 23:25:42)

#2344 2022-12-10 03:48:51

SinonTM

Slim 7 Pro X / Yoga Slim 7 Pro X (na / eu) link
I've only had the laptop for a couple of weeks and it's great.
16:10 3k 14'' display
Ryzen 9 6900hs (intel cpu if you get 7i same price)
RTX 3050

I think that it's the perfect size and power. I do a lot of simulation and dataset computations so the GPU is really worth it. I don't know your money situation but I think it's very competitively priced.
Most laptops with that kind of power usually go for $2k+ (where I live), and this one is much cheaper. It uses a dual-GPU setup, so if you use it for browsing it sips power with the integrated graphics, or you can switch a program to GPU for a serious improvement in performance, the power drain really goes up though. Linux support is 100% according to the websites.

-`                    david@SlimLinux 
                  .o+`                   --------------- 
                 `ooo/                   OS: Arch Linux 
                `+oooo:                  Host: 82V2 Slim 7 ProX 14ARH7 
               `+oooooo:                 Kernel: 5.15.82-1-lts 
               -+oooooo+:                Uptime: 59 secs 
             `/:-:++oooo+:               Packages: 1578 
           `/++++++++++++++:             Resolution: 3072x1920 
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           DE: Hyprland 
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`          Terminal: kitty 
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS Creator Edition (16) @ 3.300GHz
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        GPU: AMD ATI Radeon 680M 
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.       GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Mobile 
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-       Memory: 1.46GiB / 27.10GiB (5%) 
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-     Disk: 25G / 79G (33%) 
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:    Battery0: 70% [Discharging] 

ignore disk size, dual booting

#2345 2023-01-27 23:20:17

lrvideckis

lrvideckis@dellarch
-------------------
Host: Latitude E5470
Kernel: 6.1.8-arch1-1
Uptime: 1 hour, 54 mins
Packages: 531 (pacman)
Shell: zsh 5.9
Resolution: 1366x768
Theme: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
Icons: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
Terminal: alacritty
CPU: Intel i5-6300U (4) @ 3.000GHz
GPU: Intel Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520]
Memory: 3051MiB / 7831MiB

Dell Latitude E5470; Working flawlessly since April 2022. I update every other day. I don't use hibernation, and don't have swap partition.

#2346 2023-01-27 23:21:10

tydynrain
Website

I have my three Arch Linux installations, on three separate hard drives (I swap them), all working great on the 2021 Dell Inspiron 15 3511 that I just got! It took me a while (one week) to find a way to get them to boot with my computer's UEFI firmware, but once I was successful with that, I've had no issues since!

Basic system specs:
11th Generation i7 1165G7 (Tiger Lake) @ 4.700GHz
16 GB DDR4 RAM
RTL8821CE 802.11AC PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics]
15.6" screen - 1920x1080 @ 60.00Hz

Registered Linux User: #623501 | Arch Linux Principles: Simplicity - Modernity - Pragmatism - User Centrality - Versatility => KISS
Arch Linux, the most exciting thing since Linus created Linux and married it with GNU/GPL.
Arch Linux for Life, Arch Linux Forever!

#2347 2023-01-30 23:24:12

mdeanda

dell latitude e7490 with i7-8650U and 32GB ram here. everything works fine and i just discovered usb-c/thunderbolt dock works fine with a dell dock but doesn't charge (hardware addon that i guess mine didn't come with).

only issues are display isn't bright enough sometimes and lacks a bit of contrast but at least its glare free and that the Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 620 chip doesn't play the latest video games well but stardew valley from steam works well.

#2348 2023-02-10 01:19:51

vicfic

Dell G3 3590.
Have been using it for over a year now and it's been pretty good.
I'm running gnome 43 with wayland. With the recent nvidia support its really smooth.
Do not underestimate the smoothness of gnome + wayland + touchpad gestures.

I have some issues with the audio though. On rare occasions it stops working and freezes the laptop. Suspending also has some issues.

#2349 2023-02-26 20:26:32

JacobinSympathizer

HP Stream 14
Absolutely awful, more so on Windows, but it runs Linux about as well as a £700 rig

Trevelyan: Half of everything is luck.
Bond: And the other half?
Trevelyan: Fate.

#2350 2023-05-01 14:13:32

videxerion

asus tuf gaming f15 fx506he-hn012

Board footer