You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-03 09:04:30

d.ALT

Is ALWAYS using 'pacman -Syu packagename' wrong?

IF YOUR SYSTEM IS NOT UP TO DATE - YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG. PACMAN -Syu *BEFORE* POSTING

(https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130309)

I wonder if always adopting this behavior ('pacman -Syu packagename') can help newbies avoid the problem of an outdated system. Is this a bad practice? What am I missing?

SYNC OPTIONS (APPLY TO -S)

[...]

-u, --sysupgrade
Upgrades all packages that are out-of-date. Each currently-installed package will be examined and upgraded if a newer package exists. A report of all packages to upgrade will be presented, and the operation will not proceed without user confirmation. Dependencies are automatically resolved at this level and will be installed/upgraded if necessary.

[...]

Additional targets can also be specified manually, so that -Su foo will do a system upgrade and install/upgrade the "foo" package in the same operation.

(https://man.archlinux.org/man/core/pacman/pacman.8.en)

<49,17,III,I>    Fama di loro il mondo esser non lassa;
<50,17,III,I>    misericordia e giustizia li sdegna:
<51,17,III,I>    non ragioniam di lor, ma guarda e passa.

#2 2022-11-03 09:18:48

GaKu999

Re: Is ALWAYS using 'pacman -Syu packagename' wrong?

Depends, `pacman -S packagename` is enough until the package is not in the mirrors anymore, but that can be solved as well if necessary.
Overall the reason for `pacman -Syu packagename` is to avoid partial upgrades, that can be caused by `pacman -Sy packagename`.

I would no recommend `pacman -Syu packagename` for everything tho, sometimes you just want something new, instead of having to update everything and then potentially deal with whatever is new/changed and pacnews.

And of course, I don't have to explain that reporting a bug on old version when updated version is fixes is a pointless exercise right?

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

#3 2022-11-03 09:33:34

d.ALT

GaKu999 wrote:

reporting a bug on old version when updated version is fixes is a pointless exercise right?

I dont' get this sentence (english is not my main language, sorry): how could a bug - related to of an old package - being reported when using '-Syu package'?

#4 2022-11-03 09:38:01

Awebb

I always do this!

1. If you try to install a package and your sync database is old, you'll get a 404 on the old package URL, because the new package has a different file name (and rightly so).
2. To avoid that, you need to sync the database first, so -Sy packagename will install all the packages and NEW dependencies, but will not update existing packages that package might depend on.
3. -Syu packagename will make sure everything is up to date.

Downside:
- You might end up waiting longer.
- More traffic on your mirror.

In the past, I just "pacman -S package" and switched to "-Syu package" when something didn't work. This was when I was sitting in front of an Arch box for 10+ hours a day and had rather heavy package fluctuation. Nowadays, I mostly manage Arch servers, virtual machines and a WSL instance, so I probably update and install packages once a day.

#5 2022-11-03 09:43:33

d.ALT

<EDIT>
Typo.
I'm actually not using -u switch in the first instance. So the correct command is: # pacman -Sy --needed --noconfirm archlinux-keyring pacman
</EDIT>

To be sincere, personally I'm always going like this:

# pacman -Sy --needed --noconfirm archlinux-keyring pacman && pacman -Syu packagename

(see <EDIT> above in the post)

Last edited by d.ALT (2022-11-03 13:43:36)

#6 2022-11-03 09:47:08

Allan
Pacman
Website

d.ALT wrote:

# pacman -Syu --needed --noconfirm archlinux-keyring pacman && pacman -Syu packagename

What?!

#7 2022-11-03 09:54:29

d.ALT

Allan wrote:
d.ALT wrote:

# pacman -Syu --needed --noconfirm archlinux-keyring pacman && pacman -Syu packagename

What?!

Is it so bad? tongue

#8 2022-11-03 11:09:32

seth

"--noconfirm" is bad, yes. Always.
"-u" completely contradicts the idea of pre-updating "archlinux-keyring" (and "pacman")
pre-updating pacman is russian roulette, if eg. if there's an ABI break in glibc etc. you just nuked your package manager - either you've pacman-static available or an install iso…

pacman -Sy archlinux-keyring && pacman -Syu [some new package]

should be fine unless the second paacman command fails for any reason (because your database is now out of sync) - but (should…) also no longer (be) necessary because of archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.timer/archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service

Awebb wrote:

I just "pacman -S package" and switched to "-Syu package" when something didn't work

This.
Sometimes I'll blatantly update the database and update/install a single package this way, but "quod licet seth, non licet people who have to ask whether this is ok"
(I basically only do that w/ leafs, I record that I did that and I know that I won't have to ask on the forum if there's an unforseen consequence that changed/broke stuff than anticipated)

#9 2022-11-03 11:41:23

Awebb

seth wrote:
pacman -Sy archlinux-keyring && pacman -Syu [some new package]

Something wrong that's going to be fixed by updating archlinux-keyring is my most common "something wrong" on machines that I don't update at least once a month.  I wouldn't do this, however, because it re-installs archlinux-keyring, whether it is necessary or not. If you want this "clean", write some lines that check for an archlinux-keyring update and then decide, whether it'll be updated first and then -Syu or just -Syu.

EDIT: ... or use --needed, like OP did.

Last edited by Awebb (2022-11-03 11:43:57)

#10 2022-11-03 12:03:23

seth

There've been multiple instance over the past year where the keyring got dated rather fast, eg. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 7#p2033627 (but there've been more)
This lead to the forementioned archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.timer/archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service what should™ deal w/ this so (as pointed out) this should™ no longer be relevant in general.

because it re-installs archlinux-keyring, whether it is necessary or not

Actually it warns and asks you, but you can always use --needed when installing packages.

But, again: this used to be a rare problem on rarely updated systems and when it recently became more frequent got mitigated otherwise so it should™ not be required to begin with.
It's just "fine" in the sense that you won't harm yourself or "unsync" the system this way (given the second pacman run completes)

#11 2022-11-03 13:49:43

d.ALT

seth wrote:

"--noconfirm" is bad, yes. Always.

Always?

seth wrote:

"-u" completely contradicts the idea of pre-updating "archlinux-keyring" (and "pacman")

Absolutely! It was a typo.

#12 2022-11-03 14:14:20

seth

man pacman wrote:

--noconfirm
           Bypass any and all “Are you sure?” messages. It’s not a good idea to do this unless
           you want to run pacman from a script.

#13 2022-11-03 14:23:13

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

To come back to the question in the title, the simple answer is "not at all wrong, it's perfectly okay".

If every time you want to instal $pkg, you run `pacman -Syu $pkg` you'll be fine and you'll present no excess burden to the mirrors*.  It is not always necessary and often it is also okay to just run `pacman -S $pkg`, but there isn't really any downside to always using `pacman -Syu $pkg`.  The only possible downside noted by Awebb is that it may take a little longer to get $pkg installed if there are other updates available.  But these would be updates you'd want soon enough anyways.

Note that I don't do this.  I generally just use `pacman -S $pkg` to install something new.  But I also run `pacman -Syu` often enough that I can probably count on 1 hand the number of 404 errors I've seen from and outdated local database (and that is over a decade of using arch as my only OS).

*note: if you regularly run `pacman -Syyu $pkg` you will present a burden to the mirrors.  But `pacman -Syu $pkg` will have identical results as `pacman -S $pkg` in any case where the local system is currently up to date (except for the check on the database timestamp to check if a new db is available, but this is trivial).

Last edited by Trilby (2022-11-03 14:25:18)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#14 2022-11-03 14:47:38

sekret

Trilby wrote:

But `pacman -Syu $pkg` will have identical results as `pacman -S $pkg` in any case where the local system is currently up to date (except for the check on the database timestamp to check if a new db is available, but this is trivial).

Agreed. BUT I have to add that updates in the repos happen quite often. I'm an update junkie (although less and less, personal growth big_smile) and I see a lot of repo updates, sometimes within minutes. So if everybody would use

pacman -Syu %pkg

all the time, the mirrors would recognize it, I guess.

Everything else has been said I guess, so nothing to add for me.

Last edited by sekret (2022-11-03 14:49:01)

#15 2022-11-03 15:30:59

d.ALT

Trilby wrote:

*note: if you regularly run `pacman -Syyu $pkg` you will present a burden to the mirrors.

I know. Good to point it out! Should this suggestion be added somewhere around into WIKI/pacman?

Board footer