You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-11 08:47:54

pmv

nameserver problem with adsl-router

I have a strange problem with internet connection.
I use D-link adsl-router and its dhcp/nat. It gives address 192.168.1.5 as nameserver. It's the routers address and should be correct as it forwards it to  real nameservers. But the problem is that this doesnt work on all programs. for example Konqeror works ok, but firefox can't find any websites.

I resolved the problem by making my own resolv.conf with real dns-addresses, but I'd like to know why that default setting doesn't work for all programs.

#2 2006-11-11 09:16:53

cheer

Re: nameserver problem with adsl-router

Do you use ipv6 module?

#3 2006-11-11 10:54:09

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: nameserver problem with adsl-router

It might be a problem with the dns implementation in the router.

I have had similar problems with a speedtouch adsl router.
The built-in dns often gave timeouts (server not found) in various browsers/OSes, even for well-known sites like google.
I disabled the built-in dns server , put the ip-adresses for my providers dns-servers in the routers dhcp table and all problems were gone.

Adding the correct nameservers in resolv.conf effectively bypasses the routers dns-server, so your solution is the same as mine.
The main difference is that changing the dns/dhcp settings in the router works for all systems in your network.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer