You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-14 18:03:57

Sveske-juice

Unity Editor unrealiable

While using the game engine Unity3D to develop games I have encountered a lot of bugs with the Unity editor on Arch Linux.

Overall it's just very unreliable and buggy. This is some of the issues I have:

1. Editor crashing when editor shows tooltip
2. Tooltips cut in half and overlapping other tooltips
3. Editor sometimes crashes the amd graphics driver (SEGFAULT) when using vulkan and HDRP requiring a full reboot.
4. Long delays when opening up visual effect graphs (freezes for about 15 seconds when opening)
5. UI Delays: sometimes when right clicking, the menu appears after a 5s freeze. etc.

These are some of the major issues I've had with it. Many if not all of these issues don't exist in their supported distro's like Ubuntu 20. I've tried contacting unity for some of these issues but they say that the aren't supporting "Arch-based distro's".

Have anyone experienced these issues before or have any ideas of how to resolve them?

System information:
CPU: Amd Ryzen 5900x
GPU: Amd Radeon 6900xt
display server: Xorg
DE: KDE
kernel: 6.1.5-arch2-1
glib2: 2.74.4-1
mesa: 22.3.3-1

Most of these issues happen when developing with the High definition render pipeline (HDRP) and the Vulkan render API

Last edited by Sveske-juice (2023-01-14 18:06:16)

#2 2023-01-14 18:47:16

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: Unity Editor unrealiable

Mod note: Moving to AUR Issues

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2024-01-03 23:45:31

TSmigiel

Re: Unity Editor unrealiable

TLDR: Wayland is the way to go. It is fully ready for AMD systems, with Nvidia it still is worth a try though, but no guarantees. URP seems to work perfectly on 2022 and 2023 editors. HDRP (for now) only works on 2022. There are no graphical glitches, no black screens, no tearing, no context menu issues, no tooltips issues, nothing.

Somehow I ended here by an unrelated issue. But I want to give my 2 cents.

I had all these issues on I3 and some more (except constant crashes), to the extent of making Unity unusable for me, so I switched to Godot for a good while.
I also tried it with Qtile which I had on my laptop, and it seemed more stable with less bugs than I3. But I still wanted to try Godot.

During Christmas holiday, I was starting a new project with a friend, and we both decided that Unity HDRP was the way to go. So I tried opening Unity again on I3, with 2021, 2022 & 2023 editors. Unfortunately it was still unusable.

After a couple days of messing with everything that came to my mind, that could improve the experience, I tried Wayland. And I kid you not, this was my best decision of 2023!

Wayland is amazing for me. For Xorg, I had to do many "weird" things, and workarounds, and even then it wasn't completely perfect. And I'm not talking about just one app (like Unity), but quirks around the whole system.

In Wayland (with Hyprland compositor (which I highly recommend)), instead of 10s of different config files in different places, it basically all boils down to just 1. Which you can spread out over multiple ones if you want, but you don't have to. This excludes stuff like bars, launchers, notification daemons, etc. (just the display server + compositor, all in one file!).

This shit just works, everything, no quirks, just 1 bug I've found thus far, which was only a minor cosmetic one that I disabled. If people will still tell you that Wayland is not ready, don't listen to them. Okay, holup, one caveat which might affect user experience is the Hardware. My desktop is full AMD (5600x + 6700xt), and laptop (3750h + 1650ti). I don't do any "graphical" things on my laptop (like gaming or game dev), but "just programming", and other fairly low-key activities like browsing, Netflix, etc. work flawlessly despite the Nvida card.

Back to the desktop. Something I wasn't expecting at all was a substantial FPS boost in games (so far I've only tested KCD, M&B2, RDR2 & Witcher 3), all these titles received a 5-15% increase in FPS. As for Unity, I totally couldn't believe it. No more bugs! (with a caveat). URP works on 2022/2023. Granted, I haven't tried anything "big" yet, but I was able to load an old 2020 Android project (with minor tweaks), and I couldn't tell that anything out of the ordinary was going on. As for HDRP, I first tried with 2023, but it just kept crashing immediately of getting into the editor. 2022 on the other hand, outside of longer compilation times / general "sluggishness" associated with HDRP (over URP), seems to work just fine. I've been actively developing a new game in it for the past 2 weeks, and so far it only crashed a handful of times. And other than that, "it just works".

I use Arch btw wink

Board footer