You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-26 07:20:31

CJ_Sucks_at_Life

VNC Server refuses password file, while staying unkillable

I have been trying to set up a VNC Server that doesn't stop when someone exits it.
However, somehow ive set up some kind of unkillable server now.
However, it doesn't know what its password, no matter how many times I passwd, and restart my system and try to connect. It just doesn't work
However, I can't get rid of it because I don't know what is running it. and I can't run any other server because its sitting on port 5900

trying

udo ss -tunapl | grep 5900

nets me

tcp   LISTEN 0      5                               0.0.0.0:5900      0.0.0.0:*    users:(("Xorg",pid=764,fd=17))          
tcp   LISTEN 0      5                                  [::]:5900         [::]:*    users:(("Xorg",pid=764,fd=18))  

I tried killing the PID, however it just kills my DE and hops back on the network port and refuses to get off
How do I get rid of this? it survives even restarting my system. I know it is not a SystemMD process because the one I have is disabled all of the time.

Last edited by CJ_Sucks_at_Life (2023-01-26 07:21:19)

#2 2023-01-26 07:51:27

-thc

Re: VNC Server refuses password file, while staying unkillable

I'm not much of a Xorg pro but it looks to me like you activated VNC access via "libvnc.so" module in the Xorg server.
Can you check your Xorg configuration?

#3 2023-01-27 08:19:36

CJ_Sucks_at_Life

Re: VNC Server refuses password file, while staying unkillable

-thc wrote:

I'm not much of a Xorg pro but it looks to me like you activated VNC access via "libvnc.so" module in the Xorg server.
Can you check your Xorg configuration?

It was this, enabled it while testing out stuff.
The default config file on archwiki is innaccurate. It thinks the password for is located in "/root/.vnc/passwd" when its actually located
in "~/.vnc/passwd" (though i just put a direct link to the exact directory with /usr/ and everything) (If you use vncpsswd to set the password like it reccomends)
Set it to were the file actually is on my hardrive and it works as intended. so no systemd stuff needed for me.

Last edited by CJ_Sucks_at_Life (2023-01-27 08:22:03)

Board footer