You are not logged in.

#1 2023-03-08 14:44:52

acm-i

reanimation of brocken installation

Hello community!

Not sure if my post goes at the right place. I think I should use the newbie's corner, however I chose this section because it's more specific.

I did an full update via pacman yesterday, and unfortunately something went completely wrong. First everything seemed to work ok, but suddenly no network and system freezing some moments later.
I was in a hassle leave home and rebooted the system when those weird things happend. That reboot did not work well (eg. was hanging), so I did a hard shutdown via power button.
Now the system does not boot into gnome anymore, hanging at "accounts services .. can't start". Also network-manager seems to refuse to start.
I can go into tty2 and I am able to login with my user account. But as soon as I try to do anything with sudo privileges, the system won't do nothing. I wait for 10mins just to get no output at the terminal. Another hard shutdown is required to get the system running again, but only to the same point. I can boot from my USB into manjaro (so I can write this post), but I'm completely lost on the question how to bring the system into a useable status.

I have very little experience on how to gain log data. Therefor I thought about the newbie corner...
Having no GUI makes posting results of any command even harder (how can this be done from a broken computer with no connection, anyway?)

So if anybody is willing to help out I'd appreciate it a lot, but it seems a hard task to guide me step by step.
I already tried for several hours to chroot into the system, unfortunately with no success, mainly - I guess - because of my limited abilities.
Main question is, whether I should do a new install or if there are ideas to get it running again. If a new install is the preferred thing, can anybody tell me how to get the list of packages without using pacman? This way I could at least save some time.

Anyway: What kind of details do I need to gather and post to give anyone a clue of what is going on? Any suggestions on how to capture the output and bring it to this forum would also be much appreciated.

Thanks so far for reading!
Regards!
Chri

#2 2023-03-08 15:31:22

acm-i

Re: reanimation of brocken installation

Actually I can access the journal logs by using

journalctl --directory=....

But the -b option does not work

Data from the specified boot (+0) is not available: No data available

of course, cause i did not boot the system itself but from the usb device.
So getting everything into a txt file gives me 1.8 GB .. txt file, not quite useful.

Board footer