You are not logged in.

#1 2023-03-23 17:42:51

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Sauengard: An old school text adventure

Last year I tried teaching myself a little Python and some basic OOP principles and my first Hello World program slowly grew into a throwback text adventure game inspired by the Zork series as well as games like Telengard from 1983.
I realize text-based games are quite niche and obscure, but if a slow-paced text game that runs in the terminal based on d20 core mechanics with character creation, loot, leveling, lore, 3 levels of labyrinthine dungeons, a sophisticated battle system, an immersive story quest and about 100 unique monsters sounds interesting, please check it out.
It's actually a pretty fun game to chill out with in the terminal, perhaps while taking a break from other stuff...if you can slow down your mind a little!

The README wrote:

SAUENGARD is an old-school text adventure inspired by microcomputer games from the 1970's and 1980's such as Infocom's Zork series, Telengard by Daniel Lawrence, as well as Milton Bradley's brilliant Dark Tower tabletop electronic board game. It is a fun and immersive RPG with relatively sophisticated battle system, great loot and inventory, customizable character creation, an epic quest, and leveling.

I hope someone enjoys it.
Sauengard on GitHub

**EDIT 9/21/2023**:
The game works fine on nix, but without sound.. I wrote this on Windows at a time when I had no available nix boxes.
I have now uploaded all sound files to the GitHub project.
Sauengard with sound on GitHub
The sound folder is called from within player_module.py, from sound_player() and sound_player_loop(). It is jam packed with nice music and some old school computer floppy disk and keyboard sounds.
All sounds and music work great on Windows; You can use python to launch it, or run 'Sauengard.bat'

Currently sound_player() and sound_player_loop() check if the OS is "posix" or "nt". If "nt", then it will try to play (or loop-play, respectively) the sound file.

It is currently using winsound, but if someone can get playsound to work with nix, (or nix and Windows) please let me know! I am sure it is quite trivial for anyone with more experience than myself.

Also works with sound using Wine on Linux!

Last edited by Misfit138 (2023-11-28 19:11:01)

#2 2023-07-11 13:00:38

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Re: Sauengard: An old school text adventure

I thought it worthwhile to post a licensing update.
I have released Sauengard under the new Open RPG Creative License (ORC).
The ORC license is a perfect fit for creative works, and role-playing games in particular. Digital rights are fully included. Section II.a. specifically gives users a license to use Licensed Material “in all media and formats whether now known or hereafter created.”
The license grants the freedom for licensees to use and re-use any expressly designated licensed material (with attribution of course), while allowing the licensor to reserve certain creative elements if desired;  It uses a definition system that defines what is Licensed Material and what is unlicensed Reserved Material. (In the case of Sauengard, I attributed authorship of sound files, licensed the rest of the entire game and simply designated the ABOUT section as reserved..so if a licensee wanted to re-print the ABOUT section, they would just ask for permission.)
This is great for creators who would like to freely distribute games, systems, lore and artwork but would like to, for instance, designate some artwork as reserved.
The ORC license is a direct response to Wizards of the Coast's (a parent company of D&D, and subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc.) updated Open Gaming License 2.0, which essentially took away creators' rights to their own material.

Board footer