You are not logged in.

#1 2023-04-05 20:06:57

alysher

Missing sources: b43-firmware & b43-firmware-classic

TL;DR - i have a wireless card that uses these packages, but due to missing sources i cannot build.

Couple weeks ago i started working on getting one of my old laptops up and running to use for PCEM, of the wireless modules that i have that can go in that machine, all are broadcom, and the one that seems to work best for that pc is an old pcmcia based BCM4318 rev.2.

According to the wiki that particular chipset requires the b43legacy-firmare or the b43-firmware-classic package. While i can install the b43legacy-firmare package, it did not see my card. rfkill said card was up but dmesg had nothing on the module being installed. Being as i had followed the directions on the wiki precisely i thought maybe the other firmware package would do the trick. when it failed to download sources, i checked the other firmware package as well.

i am at a bit of a loss on what exactly to do about the situation. figured that i would wait a few days to see if it was just that the hosting place had a minor hiccup, but it seems like files are gone now.

I started learning linux under Debian, and this is what I hope for every time I interact with the awesome Arch community.

#2 2023-04-06 07:52:10

Lone_Wolf

Re: Missing sources: b43-firmware & b43-firmware-classic

The sourcefiles for b43-firmware and b43-firmware-classic are still present at http://www.lwfinger.com/b43-firmware/ and can be downloaded from there through a browser.

makepkg also has no problem getting them , what is the output of

ping www.lwfinger.com

?

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2023-04-06 07:53:04)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2023-04-07 00:29:20

alysher

at the time it was just unable to download the file, 'route to host unavailable' or something similar and it was ONLY the source files, the rest of the things from the git were fine.

since then i had been going through the website, clicking the link for the sources on each AUR page, in order to attempt to retrieve the sources and neither ever downloaded. they still dont for that matter, however:

i checked on my main pc by pulling and attempting to build the packages and the sources downloaded fine this time. i shall try it on the laptop when i have time. Really weird that the sources wont download without going through the makepkg process for those two.

Regardless thank you.

Last edited by alysher (2023-04-07 00:29:56)

I started learning linux under Debian, and this is what I hope for every time I interact with the awesome Arch community.

#4 2023-04-07 02:54:26

alysher

After booting up that laptop i tried to run makepkg again, and neither package would download still. the error output by makepkg was  'curl [7] could not resolve host' however pinging google was fine.

This laptop has a broadcom wired nic as well and i have to manually bring it up after the computer is booted even if its plugged in before boot, but that dont explain why makepkg would error out on downloading from lwfinger. I was able to just copy the relevant source file(s) from my desktop to the laptop (usb drives ftw) and makepkg validated it fine, built the package and installed it. after reboot device was loaded correctly.

Being as makepkg was able to pull sources when on my desktop, but not on the laptop, is more then a bit confusing.

if you want me to do any further testing let me know, and ill post the relevant outputs.

Last edited by alysher (2023-04-07 02:55:21)

#5 2023-04-07 05:37:11

seth

error output by makepkg was  'curl [7] could not resolve host' however pinging google was fine

What does google have to do w/ lwfinger.com?

dig lwfinger.com
dig @8.8.8.8 lwfinger.com
find /etc/systemd -type l -exec test -f {} \; -print | awk -F'/' '{ printf ("%-40s | %s\n", $(NF-0), $(NF-1)) }' | sort -f

#6 2023-04-07 09:30:06

alysher

seth wrote:

error output by makepkg was  'curl [7] could not resolve host' however pinging google was fine

What does google have to do w/ lwfinger.com?

dig lwfinger.com
find /etc/systemd -type l -exec test -f {} \; -print | awk -F'/' '{ printf ("%-40s | %s\n", $(NF-0), $(NF-1)) }' | sort -f

What does google have to do with lwfinger? they both have addresses that start with www - world wide web. Now i do know that google isnt the whole internet, but pinging google IS a basic test of connectivity.   

What that means is that the machine can reach the internet, and should have no problem reaching any server out there, as long as there are DNS entries that are valid and said server is online.

i have attempted to ping lwfinger, but a 'network unreachable' error tells me nothing, and the same symptom is on the wireless nic as well

i am using systemd-networkd, systemd-resolved, and iwd for network, dns, and wifi connectivity, and as far as i can tell they are setup correctly.

As for your code block, i did not run it - i am unfamilar with the dig command but the find command has me bothered - what exactly are you looking for on my system?

#7 2023-04-07 10:01:38

Lone_Wolf

Seth wants to be sure you are not running conflicting services. The info one can get on enabled services through systemctl is often not enough for troubleshooting , so forum users figured out a better way. see https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=256156 .

Dig is used to verify dns resolving, it is powerful and comes with bind . If you prefer a more lightweight alternative, use drill from the ldns package.

Edited since i mxed up dig & drill

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2023-04-07 10:25:08)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#8 2023-04-07 10:56:28

alysher

Thank you lone_wolf. reading over that thread was a bit of an eye opener. i shall look into it tomorrow when im mentally capable of things. i will mention now that the laptop is currently running mostly minimal software - no desktop environment as of yet and pcem isnt installed either - just enough to have the system running from the hdd, internet access, and a shell + config that i like that i dont have to do much tweaking to out of the box(read that as grml-zsh-config).

is there anyway i can log the inputs/outputs from my shell session to a file so i can just copy/paste them - typing out the responses is going to be a challenge for me otherwise.

Last edited by alysher (2023-04-07 11:00:11)

#9 2023-04-07 12:39:29

seth

See the 1st link below

I don't care whether you use dig or drill, the point is to control the DNS server.

they both have addresses that start with www - world wide web

Read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System to understand why that is completely irrelevant.

i have attempted to ping lwfinger, but a 'network unreachable' error

but you previously wrote:

'route to host unavailable' or something similar

This is why you're not allowed to paraphrase: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855

the find command has me bothered - what exactly are you looking for on my system?

SERIOUSLY?
https://man.archlinux.org/man/core/findutils/find.1.en
It's not a blackbox.
You're not supposed to be able to come up w/ such query, but if you can't even remotely grasp what that does, that's a problem.
But I guess you were worried that it could expose that you're not actually running archlinux…

Last edited by seth (2023-04-07 12:42:20)

#10 2023-04-07 19:00:26

alysher

seth wrote:

See the 1st link below

I don't care whether you use dig or drill, the point is to control the DNS server.

Read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System to understand why that is completely irrelevant.

i have attempted to ping lwfinger, but a 'network unreachable' error

but you previously wrote:

'route to host unavailable' or something similar

This is why you're not allowed to paraphrase: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855

the find command has me bothered - what exactly are you looking for on my system?

SERIOUSLY?
https://man.archlinux.org/man/core/findutils/find.1.en
It's not a blackbox.
You're not supposed to be able to come up w/ such query, but if you can't even remotely grasp what that does, that's a problem.
But I guess you were worried that it could expose that you're not actually running archlinux…

Seth, this may be my personal opinion but you are taking offence when none is intended, and then trying to force me to 'comply' by reading your links. I am going to pass on that because I already understand all of that - the reason i paraphrase is cause my memory is crap. unless the information is right in front of my eyes i can't repeat it back with any accuracy. its a limitation i have learned to live with in life.

Also, my apologies that i dont run code on my pc that i dont understand and that i ask questions when i see something that bothers me - not sure how else i am supposed to keep myself protected but if you have any reasonable and constructive suggestions you are welcome to relate them.

And just so you know, any system you dont fully understand is a 'black box' to you, and when it comes to linux i doubt i will ever fully understand it. Im pretty sure ill understand 90% but more then that is extremely doubtful

also, did you not read my last post about the software on that laptop - there is no easy way to currently copy/paste code back and forth to its terminal - which means hand typing every block of code and then echoing the responses to a txt file to copy to a usb device in order to report the info to you.

dig lwfinger.com

;; communications error to ::1#53: connection refused
;; communications error to 127.0.0.1#53: connection refused

; <<>> DiG 9.18.13 <<>> lwfinger.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; no servers could be reached

;; UDP setup with 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8) for lwfinger.com failed: network unreachable.
;; UDP setup with 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8) for lwfinger.com failed: network unreachable.

find /etc/systemd -type l -exec realpath '{}' \+ | sort

/usr/lib/systemd/system/getty@.service
/usr/lib/systemd/system/iwd.service
/usr/lib/systemd/system/remote-fs.target
/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-networkd.service
/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-networkd.service
/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-networkd.socket
/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-networkd-wait-online.service
/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-network-generator.service
/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-resolved.service
/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-resolved.service
/usr/lib/systemd/user/p11-kit-server.socket

#11 2023-04-07 19:24:58

seth

because I already understand all of that

i am unfamilar with the dig command but the find command has me bothered - what exactly are you looking for on my system?

Bye.

Last edited by seth (2023-04-07 19:26:33)

#12 2023-04-07 21:14:58

alysher

Sigh, while i am not surprised i am disappointed - Attitudes like that drive people away. My apologies that you feel like i am 'invading your space', Seth.

I am doing my best here with this whole thing. like i tried to relate earlier, my memory is crap and details sometimes 'go in one ear and out the other' so to speak.

i also had to install bind to run dig being as it wasn't installed in the first place - its not something that was even on my radar, and if it wasnt for the dig command i probably would have installed ldns and ran drill.

Board footer