You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-18 17:03:35

Soyman

[SOLVED] No sound coming from HDMI under Pulseaudio

Hi, I just switched my gpu out for a 4090 and the hdmi output gives no sound.

I have done extensive troubleshooting which has resulted in the following:
The gpu and it's outputs are shown and configurable in pavucontrol but when they are selected, no sound is emitted from the selected device.
running

aplay -D hdmi:1,2 test.wav

or

aplay -D plughw:1,8 test.wav

works fine and gives sound output from the device.
I can get sound from any of the connected HDMI/DP devices using the same method.

The solution suggested in https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=133222 does not help.

I have also looked at the

/proc/asound/cardX/eld

files and everything seems to be fine.

Everything looks fine but the TV stays silent when stuff is playing.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Soyman (2023-03-03 13:45:18)

#2 2023-02-19 14:09:14

Soyman

Re: [SOLVED] No sound coming from HDMI under Pulseaudio

After further troubleshooting I have some updates.
I have two monitors and a TV connected to the computer. One of the monitors has built in speakers.
The speakerless screen has been assigned the identifier hw:1,3 the monitor with speakers has the id hw:1,7 and the TV has the id hw:1,8
At some points I have been able to play sound through whichever device I wanted using aplay or speaker-test.

At another point any HDMI output device selected within pulseaudio would cause sound to come from hw:1,7.
I tried removing hw:1,7 and connecting the TV(via a HDMI to DP dongle) to the same port such that it received the id hw:1,7 but sound still did not come from the TV.
After that I reverted to the initial output port arrangement.

At a later point aplay only caused sound to come from hw:1,7 as well even if explicitly asking for hw:1,8 or even hw:1,9 (which doesn't exist, that made the output glitchy though).

As I mentioned, the solution suggested in https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=133222 where instead of udev (I believe) detecting the outputs of the gpu, I explicitly made hw:1,8 be the only output of the gpu, didn't work.
I haven't really changed any significant pulseaudio configuration besides trying that solution. I have since reverted that change.

I'm not shure that the issue is hardware related so feel free to move the thread to another forum.

#3 2023-02-19 14:10:52

Soyman

Also, everything works fine on windows with no issues or configuration required. Therefore the hardware is likely not faulty.

The GPU is a 4090 and the TV is an LG B1 if that is relevant.

#4 2023-02-24 09:45:14

walkingstickfan

Although I'm not having issues under Arch Linux, the 0.4.11-5 upgrades to libwireplumber-0.4-0 and wireplumber under Debian Unstable apparently conflicts with pulseaudio; ref. Debian Bug Report #1021530. When I upgraded both packages, I lost all audio and YouTube videos would not play.

It may be worth your effort to try using pipewire as your audio server, using the Arch Wiki and/or this post on LinuxConfig.org as a guide(s).

Arch Linux with Openbox & Tint2

#5 2023-02-24 20:08:02

Soyman

Thank you very much for this suggestion. Pipewire seems like just the thing to try. I'll report if this fixes the issue.

#6 2023-03-03 13:44:55

Soyman

Switching over to pipewire created a Pro Audio setting in pavucontrol which exposed a working link to the correct output device. The issue is resolved.

I am experiencing a lot of strange computer behavior following this change but there might be other causes.

#7 2023-04-21 21:27:22

Soyman

I had issues with crashing and there was strong correlation between using pipewire and the computer crashing. I didn't do a statistical analysis to figure out with certainty if the correlation was strong but I did notice that the computer crashed regularly while I ran pipewire and much less frequently using pulseaudio.

Therefore I tried pulseaudio again and managed to solve this issue using this guide https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PulseA … figuration

#8 2023-04-22 01:24:33

walkingstickfan

Interesting...I've had no issues with replacing pulseaudio with pipewire on either of my computers, both running Debian Stable, Debian Unstable, and Arch Linux.

Arch Linux with Openbox & Tint2

Board footer