You are not logged in.

#1 2023-04-27 12:13:18

dpengel3

Cannot install openvpn configuration from NordVPN [Solved (kind of)]

I'm following the directions for "Alternative Method : connecting to NordVPN using NetworkManager" on this page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NordVPN

I've had NordVPN working with this method for a long time (about two years, now) and it suddenly stopped connecting this week. So I deleted the VPN from my network connections list and downloaded a new set of .ovpn files from Nord. Now, attempting to select one just closes the connections editor window with no new connection being created.

If I run nm-connection-editor from a terminal, it shows a seg fault when attempting to import the .ovpn file.

Has anybody else seen this recently? Does anybody know a work-around?

I've fully updated my system and it still happens. I can see the dump/segfault in the logs (journal). If anybody think that would be helpful, I'll post it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dpengel3 (2023-04-27 15:04:22)

#2 2023-04-27 13:59:46

-thc

Re: Cannot install openvpn configuration from NordVPN [Solved (kind of)]

Alternatively you can create the configuration yourself:

Analyze the downloaded conf file: In case there are embedded certificates or keys -

<ca>...</ca>             # CA certificate
<cert>...</cert>         # User certificate
<key>...</key>           # User private key
<tls-auth>...</tls-auth> # TLS auth key file

copy those out into separate files beginning and ending with the 5 dashes of the two delimiter lines.

Create a new empty OpenVPN configuration (connection editor) and transfer all remaining statements to the configuration.
If you are unsure what to enter and where I can assist you.

#3 2023-04-27 15:03:33

dpengel3

Re: Cannot install openvpn configuration from NordVPN [Solved (kind of)]

That, indeed, worked, -thc. Thanks!

(If I get some ambition, later, I'll figure out what in the .ovpn file is crashing the import.)

Board footer