You are not logged in.

#1 2023-06-03 12:37:45

sdgfsdgsdfgsfdgsdfgs

Arch Linux to raise its vm.max_map_count ?

Regarding reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/13xfqqg/fedora_39_to_raise_its_vmmax_map_count_to_satisfy/ is Arch Linux going to add this as well?, unless it breaks something. VALVE adds it already. I had to add this* for DayZ some time ago, so it would be justified if it had been there already.

*cat /etc/sysctl.d/vm.max_map_count.conf
vm.max_map_count=1048576

#2 2023-06-03 14:47:48

seth

Re: Arch Linux to raise its vm.max_map_count ?

The forum is the wrong place for this topic, https://bugs.archlinux.org/?project=1&string=linux
But I'd guess arch users can be expected to accustom to locally demanding processes if need be.
Given that this seems to be a very steam-specific issue, https://bugs.archlinux.org/?project=5&string=steam might be the better target.

Raising the max map count in it by itself won't break anything, but allows processes to spiral out of control.

#3 2023-06-04 10:58:26

sdgfsdgsdfgsfdgsdfgs

But if it won't break anything, as you say, then it should be added by default (arch certainly adds other things which aren't added by default by certain programs (citation needed), so why not here as well).

Can't login with my forum credentials into bugs.archlinux.org, so anyone else feel free to open this there.

But is it really only Steam specific? Fedora's ticket says:

The goal is to improve compatibility with Windows games through wine or steam.

And even if it were so, VALVE supporting gaming on Linux is a good reason to support them. And now that Counter-Strike 2 also needs it, makes it another reason to add.

Yes, Arch Linux users are not totally unexpected to add such things themselves, but still.

#4 2023-06-04 11:10:08

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

sdgfsdgsdfgsfdgsdfgs wrote:

arch certainly adds other things which aren't added by default by certain programs (citation needed), so why not here as well

What "other things" would these be? My understanding is that Arch generally just passes on the default configurations adopted by upstream (which is one of the reasons why it's so bloated) so keeping max_map_count at the kernel default seems consistent.

#5 2023-06-04 11:44:32

seth

But is it really only Steam specific? Fedora's ticket says:

The goal is to improve compatibility with Windows games through wine or steam.

So, by your own accout,… yes?

if it won't break anything, as you say, then it should be added by default

seth ACTUALLY wrote:

Raising the max map count in it by itself won't break anything, but allows processes to spiral out of control.

Applying your logic, arch should also raise the process limit to unlimited.
That won't break anything … unless some genius enters

:(){ :|:& };:

into a terminal.

IMO the proper location for such VM modification would be the steam package, because the only known beneficiary are lousily clicked together windows games.
Ideally, see HoaS's comment, by upstream.

#6 2023-06-04 17:49:35

kokoko3k

If upstream doesn't use an higher value, there is a reason for sure.
Sounds like a task for gamemode.

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

Board footer