You are not logged in.

#1 2023-07-24 11:09:07

LandanShoemaker

[SOLVED] rsync fails when writing to ftp server mounted locally

I am using curlftpfs to mount a ftp server on my LAN locally. While I can write using standard the standard cp command, when using rsync it will fail. For example here are the commands I have tried both as standard user and as root:

rsync --archive -hh --partial --info=stats1,progress2 --modify-window=1 /path/to/folder /ftp/path/to/destination
rsync --archive --no-owner --no-group --no-perms -hh --partial --info=stats1,progress2 --modify-window=1 /path/to/folder /ftp/path/to/destination
rsync -r -hh --partial --info=stats1,progress2 --modify-window=1 /path/to/folder /ftp/path/to/destination
rsync -r --no-owner --no-group --no-perms -hh --partial --info=stats1,progress2 --modify-window=1 /path/to/folder /ftp/path/to/destination

Then rsync will return without fail with

[receiver] mkstemp "/ftp/path/to/destination/.file.2dCUOe" failed: Operation not supported (95) 

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by LandanShoemaker (2023-07-25 17:50:16)

#2 2023-07-24 12:26:45

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] rsync fails when writing to ftp server mounted locally

You probably have to create  a local folder, mount the ftp server there and tell rsync to use that folder as destination.

https://www.debiantutorials.com/automat … curlftpfs/ should help to get an idea how this works.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2023-07-24 12:27:00)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2023-07-24 12:29:59

LandanShoemaker

Lone_Wolf wrote:

You probably have to create  a local folder, mount the ftp server there and tell rsync to use that folder as destination.

https://www.debiantutorials.com/automat … curlftpfs/ should help to get an idea how this works.

Yes, this is what I have done. I used this tutorial in an effort to find out a solution to the issue its where I got the idea to use the "--no-owner --no-group" options. I may have neglected to mention I tried mounting the ftp server in a folder in my home folder and outside it without success.

#4 2023-07-24 22:38:10

LandanShoemaker

Further details: Rsync does work as expected with a mounted SSH FTP server. I would use SSH FTP instead of FTP but software server-side that I cannot change doesn't support it.

#5 2023-07-25 10:16:34

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

sanity check : post your /etc/fstab .
(make sure to obfuscate the ftp password)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6 2023-07-25 10:35:47

frostschutz

fuse mounted filesystems do have limitations, and rsync likes to trigger them. Consider using an ftp client (e.g. lftp has a mirror command that might work for your use case). That or find a server that supports rsync (or a similar tool) properly.

#7 2023-07-25 17:31:18

LandanShoemaker

Lone_Wolf wrote:

sanity check : post your /etc/fstab .
(make sure to obfuscate the ftp password)

I actually mount manually with:

curlftpfs username:password@ftp_server /ftp_dir 

I have also tried mounting as root, and allowing other users without success.

#8 2023-07-25 17:49:49

LandanShoemaker

Found the solution. The follow options for rsync are required to run without errors:

--inplace --no-group --no-perms --no-owner 

Board footer