You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-14 20:45:53

Zatena

Protonvpn via gnome gui does not establish a connection but cli

Hello,

I installed netwokrmanager-openvpn via pacman in order to connect my arch linux system using protonvpn. I added the configuration file (.ovpn) files via gui afterwards and added the user and password to the configuration screen that appeared after importing the ovpn file. Unfortunately I am not able to connect to protonvpn via gnome gui because as soon as I active the connection the connection is rejected without any error message. My guessing would be that the password/username is not saved, because the reject is really fast (around 1 second).

If I use the following CLI command the connection is established and I see a cli output that the connection was established successfully:

sudo nmcli connection up ch-ae-01.protonvpn.net.udp --ask

If I check the IP address using www.whatismyip.com I am able to see that a IPv4 address is added.
The suspect thing here is, that the IPv6 address is the same as before, but I don't think this is related to the gui problem.

Does anyone have an idea where I could have a look for more information about this issue.

Last edited by Zatena (2023-08-15 09:12:39)

#2 2023-08-15 15:10:33

Zatena

Re: Protonvpn via gnome gui does not establish a connection but cli

In order to narrow down the problem, does anyone know where the password is usually saved ?

I remember that I was asked for a password (a couple of minutes after I changed my password via "sudo passwd username" command) and I had to type in the old password but I don't remember the exact situation. Maybe it has something to do with the password change.

Last edited by Zatena (2023-08-15 15:29:27)

#3 2023-08-15 19:11:12

icar

It should be saved in the keyring. Probably "seahorse".

#4 2023-08-15 19:54:37

Zatena

I am not able to find seahorse on my system via gui or cli.
Is seahorse installed per gnome default on arch ?

#5 2023-08-15 23:25:30

icar

#6 2023-08-16 11:01:38

Zatena

I installed seahorse in order to check the passwords, I deleted every entry related to the openvpn connection.
Afterwards I imported the ovpn file again via gnome gui and set the password.

I was able to see in seahorse that the correct password was saved. I tried to establish the connection via gnome gui but the issue is still the same.

I used the command: "sudo nmcli connection up ch-ae-01.protonvpn.net.udp --ask" and used the password I copied from seahorse when I was asked for a password, I was able start the openvpn connection. I was even able to see that the connection was established in gnome because the sliding switch was set to enabled.

Then I disabled the VPN connection via the sliding switch and tried to enable it again via the same sliding switch, but I was not able to establish the connection.

Does anyone has any idea what could be wrong here ?

#7 2023-08-16 18:18:29

icar

I use ProtonVPN the following way, which works fine:
- go to the downloads section in your account
- generate and download a wireguard conf file
- go to Gnome settings - network - add a VPN connection from wireguard file
- enable or disable it from the quick settings dropdown on the top right

#8 2023-08-18 09:49:14

Zatena

Hello icar,

in order to avoid that someting went wrong during the installation I completely reinstalled arch linux and started from scratch.
Unfortunately I run into the same issue as before, so I assume it is not the installation and it is not the password change mentioned before.

Wiregard is working fine but it often not useful in a hotel where only TCP 443 and 80 are allowed.

Are you able to use OpenVPN using the ProtonVPN configuration file ?

BR

#9 2023-08-18 10:23:52

icar

I have never tried OpenVPN, sorry, since it's slower compared to Wireguard on same network conditions. And I am on holdays, so I don't have my computer at hand.

Usually reinstalling Arch is not necessary, by the way.

#10 2023-08-18 11:48:17

Zatena

icar wrote:

I have never tried OpenVPN, sorry, since it's slower compared to Wireguard on same network conditions. And I am on holdays, so I don't have my computer at hand.
Usually reinstalling Arch is not necessary, by the way.

I even have problems with wireguard, when I rename the file. I created another thread in order to avoid mixing the openvpn and wireguard issue.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 9#p2116009

I would be really interessted about the name of your file. For me it look like that the importer is buggy.

#11 2023-08-26 17:23:31

icar

You should try without any special character, space nor underscore/dash.

Board footer