You are not logged in.

#1 2023-11-21 18:53:34

morgankdavis

pacman endless "breaks dependency"

One of the things I've enjoyed about Arch since I switched to it from a Debian distribution several years ago is that pacman doesn't seem to give you much grief.  Until a few days ago, that is...

mkd@lavareef ~ % sudo pacman -Syu
[sudo] password for mkd: 
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                      132.9 KiB  78.8 KiB/s 00:02 [#######################################] 100%
 extra                                       8.3 MiB  3.03 MiB/s 00:03 [#######################################] 100%
 community is up to date
 multilib                                  141.4 KiB  83.9 KiB/s 00:02 [#######################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace attica with extra/attica5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kactivities with extra/kactivities5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace karchive with extra/karchive5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kauth with extra/kauth5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kbookmarks with extra/kbookmarks5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kcmutils with extra/kcmutils5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kcodecs with extra/kcodecs5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kcompletion with extra/kcompletion5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kconfig with extra/kconfig5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kconfigwidgets with extra/kconfigwidgets5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kcoreaddons with extra/kcoreaddons5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kcrash with extra/kcrash5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kdbusaddons with extra/kdbusaddons5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kdeclarative with extra/kdeclarative5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kded with extra/kded5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kglobalaccel with extra/kglobalaccel5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kguiaddons with extra/kguiaddons5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace ki18n with extra/ki18n5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kiconthemes with extra/kiconthemes5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kio with extra/kio5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kitemmodels with extra/kitemmodels5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kitemviews with extra/kitemviews5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kjobwidgets with extra/kjobwidgets5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace knotifications with extra/knotifications5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kpackage with extra/kpackage5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kservice with extra/kservice5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace ktextwidgets with extra/ktextwidgets5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kwallet with extra/kwallet5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kwayland with extra/kwayland5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kwidgetsaddons with extra/kwidgetsaddons5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kwindowsystem with extra/kwindowsystem5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kxmlgui with extra/kxmlgui5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace plasma-framework with extra/plasma-framework5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace solid with extra/solid5? [Y/n] 
:: Replace sonnet with extra/sonnet5? [Y/n] 
resolving dependencies...

:: There are 2 providers available for glfw:
:: Repository extra
   1) glfw-wayland  2) glfw-x11

Enter a number (default=1): 2
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing kvantum (1.0.10-2) breaks dependency 'kvantum-qt5' required by kvantum-theme-matcha-git
:: installing kvantum (1.0.10-2) breaks dependency 'kvantum-qt5' required by kvantum-theme-sweet-git
mkd@lavareef ~ % sudo pacman -Rsn kvantum kvantum-theme-matcha-git kvantum-theme-sweet-git 
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing kvantum-theme-matcha-git breaks dependency 'kvantum-theme-matcha' required by kvantum-theme-matcha-full-git

This continues pretty much as you'd expect.  What to do?

#2 2023-11-21 19:15:56

Zod

Re: pacman endless "breaks dependency"

If it were me, I would remove those 2 aur git themes.

#3 2023-11-21 20:59:01

Funny0facer

Another point: The "community" repo is not an official repo anymore. (See https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Official_repositories).

#4 2023-11-21 21:14:35

djg1971

Hi - I tried to do a pacman -Syu today also and am seeing the same behavior. Could someone do us a favor and suggest more explicitly how to deal with the problem? I don't remember explicitly installing any of the packages that are involved with the conflicts.

Update: Actually, now I have a new problem. I had to reboot the machine and now pacman won't actually run - says ":: Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed to synchronize all databases (unable to lock database)"  ....but I didn't update anything since the dependency issues couldn't be resolved. Do I need to reinstall pacman? Reboot again? Have never seen this before.

#5 2023-11-21 21:17:27

loqs

djg1971 wrote:

Hi - I tried to do a pacman -Syu today also and am seeing the same behavior. Could someone do us a favor and suggest more explicitly how to deal with the problem? I don't remember explicitly installing any of the packages that are involved with the conflicts.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855

djg1971 wrote:

Update: Actually, now I have a new problem. I had to reboot the machine and now pacman won't actually run - says ":: Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed to synchronize all databases (unable to lock database)"  ....but I didn't update anything since the dependency issues couldn't be resolved. Do I need to reinstall pacman? Reboot again? Have never seen this before.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman … )%22_error

#6 2023-11-21 21:41:47

djg1971

Ioqs: I found the lock file on my own and removed it, so that problem is solved. As for the other suggestion (to RTFM)...the original post already included the output most people ask for. I see the same offending packages echoed to the screen from pacman that he does. I wouldn't expect insightful information about that to appear in a journal, but perhaps I'm wrong there. In any case, I think both of us were hoping someone who had the same problem but knew how to solve it might reply. It's really too bad that some arch users are so intolerant of those who chose arch for good reasons but mainly need to use their systems to get work done rather than remember so much about how to administer them. Linux has gotten a lot easier in most respects in the last 25 years; perhaps we're lulled into complacency. Updating a kernel used to be a nail-biting experience. Now, posting to the forum with a semi-newbie type question even though you may have been using Linux for decades is a nail-biting experience, wrt the number of scathing comments one will receive.

#7 2023-11-21 21:51:37

Zod

djg1971 wrote:

I see the same offending packages echoed to the screen from pacman that he does.

No, you don't.

Start your own tread and post your own individual output from the pacman command.

#8 2023-11-21 21:56:48

loqs

djg1971 wrote:

As for the other suggestion (to RTFM)...the original post already included the output most people ask for.

Then zod has already provided a solution to remove the AUR packages kvantum-theme-matcha-git and kvantum-theme-sweet-git.  If you do not have those packages installed then you do not have the same issue and should follow zod's advice to start a new thread and my suggestion to include the command and its full output in it.

Last edited by loqs (2023-11-21 21:57:30)

Board footer