You are not logged in.

#1 2023-11-25 19:04:56

MariaSolOs

[SOLVED] Can't start wpa_supplicant after pacman update

Hello! Yesterday I was doing some housekeeping and ran "pacman -Syu" (I promise that I didn't run a partial update). Unfortunately my machine crashed during the update and turned off.
Since then I haven't been able to connect to wifi, because the wpa_supplicant service fails to start with "/usr/bin/wpa_supplicant: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libpcslite.so.1: file too short".

Things I've tried:
- Running "pacman -Syu" again. This fails with "core.db/extra.db failed to download", followed by "Could not resolve host" errors for all mirrors. Because wpa_supplicant isn't working, the reflector service is also down.
- Reinstalling wpa_supplicant. This fails too because of the issue with the mirrors.
- Following the steps from https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman … an_upgrade. I get stuck at step 4 because of mirror errors again sad

As you can probably tell, I'm a newbie here so I apologize in advance for my potential silly actions.

Last edited by MariaSolOs (2023-11-26 01:25:03)

#2 2023-11-25 21:00:53

MariaSolOs

Re: [SOLVED] Can't start wpa_supplicant after pacman update

Okay I tried https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman … an_upgrade again and I was able to connect to the network with iwctl.
I ran "pacman --sysroot /mnt -Syu" but "find /mnt/usr/lib -size 0" shows A LOT of broken packages. I've been trying to reinstall all packages with "pacman --sysroot /mnt -Qqn | pacman --sysroot /mnt -S -", but this fails with a bunch or "error: GPGME error: Invalid crypto engine" messages.

#3 2023-11-26 01:32:32

MariaSolOs

I was able to fix this by resetting the pacman keyring and then reinstalling all packages. I had to force it with --overwrite=*, which isn't great but it was a desperate measure.

#4 2023-11-26 12:09:26

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

I had noticed this thread but I've never encountered that problem and didn't feel qualified to assist.

I'm very glad you solved the problem.

Welcome to archlinux forums.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer