You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-27 23:57:16

bigpoppapump

New Wifi Card will not scan or connect with any network manager

I recently bought a thinkcentre m920s that didn't have any wifi interface except for a USB dongle that was really slow, but working using the same method of network configuration I am using for the new card.  I looked up Lenovo's spec sheet for that model and motherboard and picked this M.2 Card: Intel 9560NGW Wireless-AC 9560.

The card came in the mail today so I popped it in. I am trying to connect to my home wifi with iwd using iwctl.

Output of device list:
wlan0

(The new card, and only device entry)

I went through and made sure both the device and adapter were powered on, Then scanned for networks

Output of station wlan0 get-networks:

[My wifi]
[Neighbor's Wifi]

or it will show no networks available.

If i try station wlan0 connect [My wifi], it does not ask for a password and states operation failed, then the networks from get-networks command disappear until I restart iwd

I put the usb adapter back on and tried to reinstall linux and linux-firmware, did mkinitcpio. I've checked that my device is loading the correct module (iwlwifi) and rebooted a bunch.

I tried connecting to the internet using that card with a debian live installer and the arch live iso and get the same errors. I even tried using a different usb wifi dongle and that one will connect. Lastly, I have tried different Network Managers and I believe I only had one enabled at a time.

I am unsure how to proceed and could use some guidance. I can definitely put my usb dongle back in and upload some outputs to pastebin if that will help, thank you arch community!

EDIT: I just installed a card and didn't realize I probably needed antennas. Could this be my issue? Would I still be able to connect without antenna?

Last edited by bigpoppapump (2024-03-28 00:49:35)

#2 2024-03-29 18:49:08

impossibleveins23

Re: New Wifi Card will not scan or connect with any network manager

If the WLAN sometimes detect few networks this probably means a reception issue and antennas would greatly help increase the range.

You can check this by getting the box closer to the router.

#3 2024-03-29 23:41:48

bigpoppapump

Hello, I got some antennas today and the card is running well. Simple ignorance did me in and had me in the weeds. My connection request kept timing out because the card was basically in a faraday cage (all metal lenovo case). Thank you for helping to confirm this!

#4 2024-03-30 09:14:54

impossibleveins23

Glad it worked. Please mark the topic as solved.

Board footer