You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-24 04:05:07

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

[Solved] One box won't connect to one host

Ok so this is a real weird one, I don't have the faintest idea what's going on.

Basically, I have several boxen on this LAN, and they're pretty much identically configured (ie. no funky firewall setttings..etc), and one of them refuses to connect to a certain host. It connects to everything else just fine, it's just one external host (and by that I mean website that obviously isnt within my lan) that it refuses to talk to. All the other machines on the LAN connect to it just fine.

I don't have the faintest clue what's causing it, I was hoping some of you might have some insight.

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#2 2006-12-24 17:05:52

arew264
Website

Re: [Solved] One box won't connect to one host

Is it something funky going on with DNS? I 've had that before... where one resolve failed for one box... Try the ip if you think that might be it. Other than that, no idea, except check IPTables

iptables -l

#3 2006-12-24 20:12:36

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

i thought of the DNS thing, it resolves fine on both, but the one won't connect to the ip either :-/

iptables isnt even compiled into this kernel (or as a module), so that's definitely not it.

#4 2006-12-24 20:54:32

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Things to check.

* Make sure that dns resolves the hostname to the same ip on a working machine, and your borken boxen.

* Install tcpdump. Run tcpdump, and try accessing the site in question. Check tcpdump output for interesting information (note: wireshark works too).

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2006-12-24 21:37:13

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

Thanks for your help, cactus.

We worked through it on IRC and found that the site was choking on tcp window scaling.

Board footer