You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-08 23:18:23

sud_crow
Website

Wvdial and the new kernel 2.6

Hello,

I need to know hows called the /dev/ttyS0 serial port in the new 2.6 kernel, as wvdial reports an Input/output error when trying to dial, and i think this might have changed as the "/dev/hda to /dev/discs/disc0" thing...

Someone knows how are called the /dev/ttyS(0-3) ports now?

EDIT:

The problem its solved, look at the bottom of the thread.
The problem wasnt the port, i had to update pacman/wvstreams/openssl/wvdial/ppp and the kernel to the last versions to make it work (manually downloaded the packages from the ftp and installed throw pacman -A package or -U)

Versions that work:

pacman-2.7.6-1
Kernel26-2.6.5-2
openssl-0.9.7d-1
ppp-2.4.2-1
wvdial-1.54.0-2
wvstreams-3.75.0-1

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#2 2004-04-10 07:04:42

sud_crow
Website

Re: Wvdial and the new kernel 2.6

All right, i did what i sayd over here, and i got wvdial to work, but with a little problem... actually a couple.

First, it seems the 2.6.5-2 kernel26 its not built with ppp support or in its modules, at least thats what pppd reports, so im going to try one compiled by my self.

Second, wvdial doesnt read right /etc/wvdial.conf, for some reason i had to make a copy /etc/wvdial.conf.dos and use the command:

wvdial -c /etc/wvdial.conf.dos

to make it work, as even with the -c flag /etc/wvdial.conf didnt work.

Leonardo Andrés Gallego

#3 2004-04-10 07:17:11

mctavish

Hola!

There have been a few posts about getting ppp going on the 2.6 kernel. Once just today I think described getting kppp going. So these may give you some clues.

For a start though if you are getting a message about a missing module then it sounds like you need the module ppp-generic. This may save you from having to compile your own kernel.

Mctavish

#4 2004-04-11 00:53:47

sud_crow
Website

Buenas!  lol

I made it work  8)  i played with modprobe and lsmod until i discovered how to see the available modules, once i managed to do this i loaded:

modprobe ppp_async

As i knew my connection was asyncronic and there where this other options:

ppp_generic, ppp_synctty, ppp_deflate and others in the form of pppoe for ADSL.

Just loading the ppp_async module was enough, as it seems the kernel has ppp_generic built in (this was reported to me at boot time when i included it in rc.conf), and the other two are not necesary for the connection to work, but im loading the three of them (ppp_async, ppp_deflate, ppp_syncttty) at boot time in the _modules_ line in /etc/rc.conf (i left out only ppp_generic) and everything is working pretty well till now.

Thanks for the help anyway!!

Now i have to download like 400mb in updates sad

Leonardo Andrés Gallego

Board footer