You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-27 19:37:00

nullvar

Does anybody still use Kerberos?

Hello. I want to setup a network authentication/authorization system like NIS. Not wanting to use something as insecure as NIS, I found that my best option looked like LDAP with Kerberos. However, it seems all the information I can find about this is at least a couple years old. Is there something new I missed, or have people just started to use LDAP without Kerberos? If the later is true, has LDAP advanced in security or is there some other reason for not using Kerberos? I'm just trying to set this up on a small home network for the "coolness" factor (the same reason my only windows machine connects to my samba PDC), but I would like it to be secure as if it were large scale, within reason.

May the Schwartz be with you.

#2 2006-12-31 05:21:53

nullvar

Re: Does anybody still use Kerberos?

Well, since I'd also like to move up to NFSv4 which seems to use Kerberos as well, then I'll see what I can do with Kerberos/LDAP/NFSv4. I post notes if I get anywhere.

#3 2007-01-07 22:35:17

nullvar

Re: Does anybody still use Kerberos?

Well, after taking time to work, do some programming, reading to catch up on 40 years of comics, and working on my try truck, I'm now able to get tickets, but  I can't authenticate to Kerberos for login, ssh, or su. I seem to be having some trouble getting pam_krb5.so to work right. Still RTFMing, so, I'll get back.

Board footer