You are not logged in.

#101 2007-01-09 14:25:15

SchaduwBlink

Re: kdemod - a lightified and modular KDE + additional patches

funkyou,

Do you have all the patches from the now KIP project in this set? Pertty changed to KIP about 2 months ago, and I also added in other patches at that time and also changed some of the eisting patches. tongue I kinda left Gentoo so I am no longet in charge of KIP, so I don't know if anything else changed in the 2 months I have been away. Note: I am StifflerStealth on the Gentoo Forums.

Cheers.

#102 2007-01-09 14:58:01

funkyou
Website

update

-added the kopete reloading patch

to use it, you have to set the themes folder in the kopete userlist prefs. set it to /opt/kde/share/apps/kopete/images ...

SchaduwBlink wrote:

funkyou,

Do you have all the patches from the now KIP project in this set? Pertty changed to KIP about 2 months ago, and I also added in other patches at that time and also changed some of the eisting patches. tongue I kinda left Gentoo so I am no longet in charge of KIP, so I don't know if anything else changed in the 2 months I have been away. Note: I am StifflerStealth on the Gentoo Forums.

Cheers.

On the first versions of KDEmod i used various patches found on the net, but when i found the pertty patchset i completely switched to it, so there are all patches from kip in KDEmod... I am currently using the patches from here beside some others, and the xeffects svn seems to be updated fairly... Ah, and before i forget it: Thank you for your marvellous work on pertty/kip - you did something that the KDE devs should have done for a long time by maintaining those patches and making KDE even better.

superstoned: i think the applet comes with kdict - i will provide a package soon when i have some time left...

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#103 2007-01-09 15:31:05

SchaduwBlink

funkyou wrote:

On the first versions of KDEmod i used various patches found on the net, but when i found the pertty patchset i completely switched to it, so there are all patches from kip in KDEmod... I am currently using the patches from here beside some others, and the xeffects svn seems to be updated fairly... Ah, and before i forget it: Thank you for your marvellous work on pertty/kip - you did something that the KDE devs should have done for a long time by maintaining those patches and making KDE even better.

Hmm ... It looks like my patches are not on the xeffects server yet. I requested that they be uploaded, ah well. You can get the latest versions here: http://www.gentooexperimental.org/~slee … a1.tar.bz2 if you have not done so already. tongue You can check to see if they are the same as what you are using. I am glad you like the packages. I guess I will keep updating them. There's still a few minor bugs that need to be worked out and I try to work on them when I can. smile And you are welcome. wink

Cheers.

#104 2007-01-09 16:25:07

superstoned

funkyou: you are so right thanking ShadowBlink/StifflerStealth for his work, the pertty patches where great (did use them on gentoo), and i still don't get why the KDE dev's don't include those in KDE 3.5.x!

you guys rock ;-)

did any of you ever talk to KDE dev's about including these patches? if not, i can try to track down the relevant ppl and email them or talk with them on the upcoming FOSDEM event (i'll be at the KDE booth, demoing KDE)...

-=] life sucks deeply [=-

#105 2007-01-09 18:37:01

SchaduwBlink

superstoned wrote:

funkyou: you are so right thanking ShadowBlink/StifflerStealth for his work, the pertty patches where great (did use them on gentoo), and i still don't get why the KDE dev's don't include those in KDE 3.5.x!

you guys rock ;-)

did any of you ever talk to KDE dev's about including these patches? if not, i can try to track down the relevant ppl and email them or talk with them on the upcoming FOSDEM event (i'll be at the KDE booth, demoing KDE)...

The original pertty patches were based off of a kde-look.com project called KDE Improvement, or something like that. Taskara made an ebuild for that patch. Then I started helping Taskara when he didn't have much time. When I took over, I started adding things and modifing the patch so that it would work with the newer version of KDE, which took a very long time to go through the code and fix. The orignal patch was for translucent rubberband and rounded cornors. He made a request to get those patches in KDE, however, that could not be done since for most of the patches you need to modify QT. However, he was able to get some patches into KDE that do not require QT modification. You can get the modified QT from the KDE SVN server in the form of QT-Copy. This original patch maker is now a dev of KDE. smile That's pretty much the history. Now Roderick is helping maintain KIP on Gentoo, and doing a great job at it. He helped me with some of the latest modifications for KDE 3.5.x in order to get some of the former items working, like that enhanced metabar, the code of which made both our eyes bleed.  lol The original writer of the patch no longer ups  date it, which is why I had to keep updating it.

The Devs do not want to put this in KDE because there are still issues with the rubberband not working right on some setups, or that there is serious lags and slowdowns, and mainly the fact that QT needs to be modified. THe Devs of QT did not want to apply some of the patches needed to make it work. Also, KDE4 will feature stuff that is far beyond what these patches are capable of. The cornors will actually have antialising on, so they will be a lot smoother. QT3, just is not capable of doing that in an easy way, so that was never added to the rounded cornors patch. I looked into it and gave up. tongue

The xeffects overly is done by very tallented people and headed by CoffeeBuzz, the person that had the most complete and popular XGL overlay for Gentoo. He has put a lot of effort into trying to find eye candy for KDE and Gnome as well. KIP was suppose to merge with the xeffects overlay, but I don't know what heppened. I have been away for a long time.

Though, this project here has more patches than the KIP project on Gentoo.

If you want more info, you read the huge thread on the Gentoo Forums. That's the whole history right there. It also deals with many of the problems we had to face and overcome. I can't wait for KDE4.

Okay, this was long winded. I shut up now.

Cheers.

Side note: Dman pacman is fast. Me like, but I miss the use flags. tongue Arch is definately a great distro with a great community. big_smile

#106 2007-01-09 20:39:08

byte

funkyou: gstreamer(0.8) vanished, it's all gstreamer0.10 now.

#107 2007-01-09 22:09:17

SchaduwBlink

Oh, funkyou or anyone else know, do you have the SuSE patches in there from the KIP project? They make it possible to search the Menu for a certain app and it shows you where it is. They are really fun. I didn't see them in the list of included patches.

Cheers.

#108 2007-01-10 07:01:43

funkyou
Website

SchaduwBlink: Ah, you got me smile I am using your kde-3.5.5-split-kip-Beta1 patchset and not the ones from xeffects. At some point i thought the ones from xeffects were newer, but that was not true so i sticked to the beta1 and it all works flawless here. I just mixed it up on my last post, theres still some jetlag to get rid off wink

When i tried the two menu patches from SuSE some time ago i had some bad kicker crashes with them, and so i decided to not include them. But maybe the reason for the crashes could be the qt-style i was using, so i think i will test this when my build-slave-machine is ready again.

To check out all included patches you can download this fresh archive: kdemod-patches.tar.gz. There are also the bugfixes included...

btw: If you want something like use flags, just take a look into your /etc/makepkg.conf

byte: Thanks for the info, so maybe its just a matter of a "provides" line in the gstreamer0.10 packages smile

#109 2007-01-10 13:10:45

SchaduwBlink

funkyou, Ah. I see. I don't think it would crash because of a style that they crashed. Maybe I can look at the code sometime and see if I made a slip up somewhere. Thanks for all your time and patience and for putting together this great set. This must take a lot of time to compile all this and make it ready for distribution. Keep up the great work. smile

Cheers.

#110 2007-01-10 18:29:50

superstoned

i actually knew most of this story, as i did see the original kde improvement patches posted, and tested them. also used the pertty patches until i switched to arch big_smile

i didn't think you guys *wrote* the stuff, but i do know you did quite some porting work, and i was unclear about the exact status of some patches, whether they would make it in KDE or not. many did, but Qt has been blocking. well, KDE4 will make that problem go away i guess big_smile

seen the anti-aliassed KDE4 icon borders, tough... look good.

grtz

SchaduwBlink wrote:
superstoned wrote:

you guys rock ;-)

The original pertty patches were based off of a kde-look.com project called KDE Improvement, or something like that. Taskara made an ebuild for that patch. Then I started helping Taskara when he didn't have much time. When I took over, I started adding things and modifing the patch so that it would work with the newer version of KDE, which took a very long time to go through the code and fix. The orignal patch was for translucent rubberband and rounded cornors. He made a request to get those patches in KDE, however, that could not be done since for most of the patches you need to modify QT. However, he was able to get some patches into KDE that do not require QT modification. You can get the modified QT from the KDE SVN server in the form of QT-Copy. This original patch maker is now a dev of KDE. smile That's pretty much the history. Now Roderick is helping maintain KIP on Gentoo, and doing a great job at it. He helped me with some of the latest modifications for KDE 3.5.x in order to get some of the former items working, like that enhanced metabar, the code of which made both our eyes bleed.  lol The original writer of the patch no longer ups  date it, which is why I had to keep updating it.

The Devs do not want to put this in KDE because there are still issues with the rubberband not working right on some setups, or that there is serious lags and slowdowns, and mainly the fact that QT needs to be modified. THe Devs of QT did not want to apply some of the patches needed to make it work. Also, KDE4 will feature stuff that is far beyond what these patches are capable of. The cornors will actually have antialising on, so they will be a lot smoother. QT3, just is not capable of doing that in an easy way, so that was never added to the rounded cornors patch. I looked into it and gave up. tongue

The xeffects overly is done by very tallented people and headed by CoffeeBuzz, the person that had the most complete and popular XGL overlay for Gentoo. He has put a lot of effort into trying to find eye candy for KDE and Gnome as well. KIP was suppose to merge with the xeffects overlay, but I don't know what heppened. I have been away for a long time.

Though, this project here has more patches than the KIP project on Gentoo.

If you want more info, you read the huge thread on the Gentoo Forums. That's the whole history right there. It also deals with many of the problems we had to face and overcome. I can't wait for KDE4.

Okay, this was long winded. I shut up now.

Cheers.

Side note: Dman pacman is fast. Me like, but I miss the use flags. tongue Arch is definately a great distro with a great community. big_smile

#111 2007-01-11 12:20:47

superstoned

let me add a request for an app: http://extragear.kde.org/apps/kconfigeditor/

the kconfigeditor can be used to access many configuration options in KDE apps not available in the gui.

#112 2007-01-11 12:38:08

funkyou
Website

superstoned wrote:

let me add a request for an app: http://extragear.kde.org/apps/kconfigeditor/

the kconfigeditor can be used to access many configuration options in KDE apps not available in the gui.

Nice find, didnt know about it before. However, when i try to build it though the usual unix "rule of three", after a successful configure i get the following error (german) when entering make:

make: *** Keine Regel vorhanden, um das Target »/config.status«,
  benötigt von »/Makefile«, zu erstellen.  Schluss.

I`ll mess a little bit around with it, maybe i get it to work, help is appreciated. When it works, i think i will include it directly into the kdebase package...

#113 2007-01-11 13:05:10

superstoned

i had big trouble getting it to build last time i used it as well. finally i searched for a precompiled suse rpm and alien-ed it to my (then debian) installation. maybe if you check out extragear, and configure & compile it, it'll work?

anyway, tnx for trying. ow, the app was just mentioned in this thread:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=koffice-devel&m … 810488&w=2
more specific, here:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=koffice-devel&m … 006135&w=2

maybe Jaroslaw Staniek <js> can help, if you're serious about getting it to work.

#114 2007-01-11 17:55:54

funkyou
Website

update

- added a patch from kubuntu to merge the stop and reload buttons in konqueror
- added a patch to simplify kwallet a little bit

the merge patch seems to not work correctly on my machine as there are no buttons merged, but the reason could be my heavy modified konqueror configuration. maybe i have missed something for the patch but apart from that everything seems to work correctly, so i leave it like this for now...

this is the last update for 3.5.5 except there are some bad bugs in the packages found by someone - these will be fixed, but i concentrate now on preparing all the PKGBUILDs for 3.5.6 as i have a large portion of changes and cleanup in the pipeline, and i want to have the PKGBUILDs ready before the release of 3.5.6 to minimize the time for testing them all etc and do a fast "release after the release" wink

#115 2007-01-11 19:02:43

superstoned

funkyou wrote:

update

- added a patch from kubuntu to merge the stop and reload buttons in konqueror
- added a patch to simplify kwallet a little bit

the merge patch seems to not work correctly on my machine as there are no buttons merged, but the reason could be my heavy modified konqueror configuration. maybe i have missed something for the patch but apart from that everything seems to work correctly, so i leave it like this for now...

this is the last update for 3.5.5 except there are some bad bugs in the packages found by someone - these will be fixed, but i concentrate now on preparing all the PKGBUILDs for 3.5.6 as i have a large portion of changes and cleanup in the pipeline, and i want to have the PKGBUILDs ready before the release of 3.5.6 to minimize the time for testing them all etc and do a fast "release after the release" wink

there's a reload/stop button now, you can add that and it'll work big_smile

great work, btw!!!

#116 2007-01-12 22:09:23

mandos
Website

hello everybody,
I decided to give KDE a try before 15days
to my surprise I like it (i've been using gnome since... forever)

but I don't want aaaaall this stuff it adds
so I wan't to try kdemod

when trying to install I get the same error as people described above:

error: cannot resolve dependencies for "kdemod-kdemultimedia":
       "gstreamer" is not in the package set

I installed gstreamer0.10 manually, but it didn't solve the problem

what am I doing wrong?

thanks in advance wink

#117 2007-01-12 22:15:02

aionea

mandos wrote:

hello everybody,

so I wan't to try kdemod

what am I doing wrong?

thanks in advance wink

A temporary workaround:
1. open /var/lib/pacman/kdemod/kdemod-kdemultimedia-3.5.5-1/depends in your favourite text editor. (you need to be root)
2. change "gstreamer" to "gstreamer0.10" and "gst-plugins" to "gstreamer0.10-base" and save the changes
3. pacman -S kdemod
smile
(note: after syncing this fix is removed so you need to edit depends again if you want to reinstall the package)

#118 2007-01-12 22:25:04

mandos
Website

thanks for the reply

it's working

please tell me something, are all these 170mb of packages essential to install kdemod????

#119 2007-01-12 22:27:14

aionea

mandos wrote:

thanks for the reply

i'm trying it right now smile
(the depends file is empty... so I'll just add the new depends, right?)

it shouldnt be empty, are you sure you are viewing the correct file?

EDIT:
oh sry had a typo in the path. i updated the original post.

#120 2007-01-12 22:41:20

superstoned

mandos wrote:

thanks for the reply

it's working

please tell me something, are all these 170mb of packages essential to install kdemod????

well, the base isn't really split up. that's not only hard to do, but there simply is a lot of basic stuff - Qt (and it's dependencies), kdelibs, kdebase with all the basic applications. there might still be some bogus dep's (some time ago we got finally rid of XMMS...) but that'll take time and work.

#121 2007-01-12 23:08:01

mandos
Website

@aionea: I misstyped something, sorry smile

@superstoned:
well, then I'll have to install XMMS manually (I'm a fun!)
I just hoped that kdemod would be very very light

I understand of-course that it can't be like fluxbox, but I hopped for something like XFCE (26mb download)

anyway, I might change my mind once I run it
the download is about to finish smile

#122 2007-01-13 09:52:03

funkyou
Website

mandos wrote:

It seems that you had to install a lot of dependencies that were not installed before, and i bet the biggest ones were jre and jdk or something.

Maybe i will split up kdebase when i have time, but i dont know if its worth the effort, because nearly every KDE user needs a full kdebase and there is also KDE 4 coming up which will make this project obsolete - at least i hope that they will improve their way of distributing KDE by splitting it up a little bit more or make it more lightweight smile

I am currently fixing the gstreamer dependencies.

-EDIT- updated. removed the following dependencies: gstreamer, gst-plugins, speex, libsamplerate

#123 2007-01-13 13:32:54

superstoned

funkyou wrote:
mandos wrote:

It seems that you had to install a lot of dependencies that were not installed before, and i bet the biggest ones were jre and jdk or something.

Maybe i will split up kdebase when i have time, but i dont know if its worth the effort, because nearly every KDE user needs a full kdebase and there is also KDE 4 coming up which will make this project obsolete - at least i hope that they will improve their way of distributing KDE by splitting it up a little bit more or make it more lightweight smile

I am currently fixing the gstreamer dependencies.

-EDIT- updated. removed the following dependencies: gstreamer, gst-plugins, speex, libsamplerate

nice work!!! again less dep's. that's good...

btw, had time to look at kdict?

#124 2007-01-13 14:04:01

funkyou
Website

superstoned wrote:

nice work!!! again less dep's. that's good...

btw, had time to look at kdict?

kdemod-kdenetwork-kdict is available at the repo smile

and another update - added qt-enhanced 3.3.7

#125 2007-01-13 14:08:04

chaosgeisterchen

aionea wrote:
mandos wrote:

hello everybody,

so I wan't to try kdemod

what am I doing wrong?

thanks in advance wink

A temporary workaround:
1. open /var/lib/pacman/kdemod/kdemod-kdemultimedia-3.5.5-1/depends in your favourite text editor. (you need to be root)
2. change "gstreamer" to "gstreamer0.10" and "gst-plugins" to "gstreamer0.10-base" and save the changes
3. pacman -S kdemod
smile
(note: after syncing this fix is removed so you need to edit depends again if you want to reinstall the package)

Thanks for the hint! This allowed me to finally install all the kdemod-packages.

celestary
Intel Core2Duo E6300 @ 1.86 GHz
kernel26
KDEmod current repository

Board footer