Version: 3.1
GU/ d- s: a- C L U P+ L+++ E--- W+
N 0+ K- W-- !O !M V-- PS+ PE- V++ PGP T 5 Z+ R* TV+ B+
DI-- D- G-- e-- h! r++ z+ z*
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

#2 2003-02-18 19:18:36

BluPhoenyx

Re: start x tcp listening

Is there a specific reason you want this done in this method? Doing this simply makes it where those who want the tcp active will have to turn it on. It is generally considered to be the system admin's option to make these changes. It is fairly simple for you to add this line to the startx file yourself if you have access to the system as root.

If you don't have root access or want another method for making this change try adding the following to the /etc/profile or ~/.bashrc.

alias x='startx -nolisten tcp'

You could even alias the startx command in the user .bashrc file so it only affects a particular user. I find this alias method useful for other things such as starting X on a different screen.

alias x1='startx -- :1'

This method could also be used to pass other options to the startx system such as dpi (which I set in the startx) or color depth, etc.

BluPhoenyx

#3 2003-02-18 20:19:18

sarah31
Website

well personally i can see a use for it. most people i know would forget or don't even realize that the back door is open to their system.it is a simple implimentation to fix an inherent problem that virtually no thinks about. firewalls are great and passing the options yourself is easy but why have the port open in the first place and then have to worry about it?

i think it is a good option for an old problem.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2003-02-18 20:45:24

jlvsimoes
Website

im not very security "freak" but i think that its bether to have it there and if i do need x to listen tongue remove the option im surprised its bether to have a closed sistem and then open somethings as you need it and not the other away aroud

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

#5 2003-02-18 22:55:59

BluPhoenyx

FWIW, I agree with the issue of security. It's one thing I tend to advocate a lot. I asked the reason why so the person could give a little better detail than simply please do this.

For myself, I would rather use a system like VNC across an encrypted connection. However, it isn't possible to satisfy everyone in a case like this. This is also why I mentioned the option of using an alias or passing it on the command line. If AL makes an unusual departure from the standard like this which may make things slightly more difficult for a system admin trying to convert, that admin could simply give up on AL. Even worse, tell others about how non-standard AL is. Some non-standard practices are fine and even desired but too many in the wrong places might hurt AL in the long run.

Also to be considered, this change will require an install script (addition or change) or other method (such as sed) to change the startx file while the package is being built. So it becomes a question of whether this is worth making changes to the X package or leaving it up to the users to make the change, which is what Linux is all about.

BluPhoenyx

#6 2003-02-20 00:24:28

jlvsimoes
Website

shure thing thaks

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----