You are not logged in.

#1 Today 06:18:56

XDarkAngelX
Member
Registered: 2014-01-08
Posts: 67

Internet speed becomes slower after PC is waking up from sleep

I am having an issue where after my pc wakes up from sleep the internet speed  becomes 600Mbit instead of the normal 900Mbit, when the issue happens I see lots of Retr when I test the speed using iperf3
I am connected to the route  using an Ethernet cable, and the local LAN speed  seems to be ok and stays at 940Mbit even after  sleep.
I have managed to narrow it down that the issue only happens after the pc wakes from sleep and it only happens after 30 mins of sleep or just putting it to sleep and waking it won't cause the issue.
The only I found that fixes the issue is either reboot the router or assign new IP to the pc in the router.

Any idea what could be causing this issue  ? any idea what to look for ?
Also I don't think this issue started recently I think that just recently I have managed to understand when it happens and that it is local to only this pc

kernel 7.2.6-arch2-1
KDE Plasma Version 6.7.5
KDE Frameworks version 6.30.0
Qt Version 6.11.2
Motherboard : TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI)

Offline

#2 Today 06:43:55

-thc
Member
Registered: 2017-03-15
Posts: 1,206

Re: Internet speed becomes slower after PC is waking up from sleep

Can you check if the speed recovers after resume when you unplug the Ethernet cable from the PC for 10 seconds?

Last edited by -thc (Today 06:44:13)

Offline

#3 Today 06:50:36

XDarkAngelX
Member
Registered: 2014-01-08
Posts: 67

Re: Internet speed becomes slower after PC is waking up from sleep

from my previous tests the speed didn't recover when I have unplugged the Ethernet cable from my PC , but I can try later today again to verify for sure

Offline

#4 Today 07:29:43

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,030

Re: Internet speed becomes slower after PC is waking up from sleep

when the issue happens I see lots of Retr when I test the speed using iperf3

Have you checked that the count is indeed higher than normal?

The only I found that fixes the issue is either reboot the router or assign new IP to the pc in the router.

it only happens after 30 mins of sleep

Dual booting windows?

Please post your complete system journal for such boot eg.

sudo journalctl -b -1 | nc termbin.com 9999

for the previous ("-1") one so we can know the involved hardware, what and how is actually configuring your network and what happens around the sleep and what that sleep looks like (S3 or s2idle)

Offline

#5 Today 08:11:37

XDarkAngelX
Member
Registered: 2014-01-08
Posts: 67

Re: Internet speed becomes slower after PC is waking up from sleep

ok reproduced the issue again , it seems 10 mins of sleep is enough to trigger the issue
un-plugging the Ethernet cable for 10 seconds doesn't help to resolve it.

I am not dual booting windows , never installed windows on this machine

output of

sudo journalctl -b -1 | nc termbin.com 9999

https://termbin.com/7zhh

also added the output of the current boot where I have  reproduced it a few mins ago

sudo journalctl -b | nc termbin.com 9999

https://termbin.com/e47m6

Offline

#6 Today 08:28:05

XDarkAngelX
Member
Registered: 2014-01-08
Posts: 67

Re: Internet speed becomes slower after PC is waking up from sleep

Have you checked that the count is indeed higher than normal?

it is indeed higher than normal , normally I get

[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr
[  5]   0.00-60.01  sec  5.18 GBytes   741 Mbits/sec  117            sender
[  5]   0.00-60.00  sec  5.17 GBytes   740 Mbits/sec                  receiver

while when the issue happens I get

[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr
[  5]   0.00-60.02  sec  3.52 GBytes   504 Mbits/sec  493            sender
[  5]   0.00-60.00  sec  3.52 GBytes   504 Mbits/sec                  receiver

Offline

#7 Today 08:35:41

-thc
Member
Registered: 2017-03-15
Posts: 1,206

Re: Internet speed becomes slower after PC is waking up from sleep

Did you enable jumbo frames?

ספט 20 12:37:18 Arch-Home kernel: r8169 0000:06:00.0 eth0: jumbo features [frames: 16362 bytes, tx checksumming: ko]

Offline

#8 Today 09:07:04

XDarkAngelX
Member
Registered: 2014-01-08
Posts: 67

Re: Internet speed becomes slower after PC is waking up from sleep

not sure w hat are jumbo frames are
From what I could gather my mtu is set to 1500 and that should mean that jumbo frames are not enabled.
I have tried to set the mtu to 9000 but it doesn't seem to affect the issue I am having

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB